It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hijab or the Bomb: A look at a woman's place in Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

_ Feb. 13, 2009: A bomber attacks a tent filled with women and children resting from a pilgrimage to Karbala, killing 40 people and wounding 60 others.

_ Jan. 4, 2009: A suicide bomber dressed in women's clothing and hiding among Iranian pilgrims kills more than three dozen people and wounds at least 72 outside a mosque in Baghdad's Shiite neighborhood of Kazimiyah. It remains unclear whether the bomber was in fact a woman.

_ Oct. 8, 2008: A suicide bomber blows herself up near government offices in Baqouba, northeast of the capital, killing 11 people and wounding 19.

_ Sept. 15, 2008: A woman blows herself up among a group of police officers in Balad Ruz, 45 miles northeast of Baghdad, killing at least 22 people and wounding 33.

_ Aug. 14, 2008: A bomber strikes Shiite pilgrims in Iskandariyah, 20 miles south of the capital, killing at least 18 people and wounding 75.

_ July 28, 2008: Female suicide bombers attack a Shiite pilgrimage in Baghdad and a Kurdish protest rally in northern Iraq, killing at least 57 people and wounding nearly 300.

_ June 22, 2008: A bomber strikes outside a government complex in Baqouba. At least 15 people are killed and more than 40 are wounded.

_ May 1, 2008: A bomber imitating pregnancy detonates the first bomb in a double suicide attack that kills at least 36 people during a wedding procession in Balad Ruz. At least 65 people are wounded.

_ March 17, 2008: A bomber attacks a group of Shiite worshippers near a mosque in Karbala, killing at least 49 people and wounding 73.

_ Feb. 1, 2008: Two women strapped with remote-control explosives — and possibly used as unwitting suicide bombers — attack pet markets in Baghdad. At least 100 people are killed and more than 100 are wounded.

The first thought in my head, when I read about the growing number of female suicide bombers, was this does not make any sense. The hypocrisy of the situation does not seem human. How can Muslim women be put in such a position? What and who is putting Muslim women in such a position? What is so dangerous about a woman's place that she must be subjected to this? First her liberty is taken away, she is blinded. Then her life is taken away, she is dead.

Do Muslim fundamentalist know that woman are their mothers and the mothers of their sons? Any religion that has the plausibility (key word) to make women kill themselves is a virus to humanity.

What is about women that makes Muslim men so mad? I know there are some Muslim men (and hopefully women too) on this forum. I would like to get their opinion on this issue.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The poster deals with a subject matter extracted from areas where there has been a conflict that has consumed over a million people and counting, Iraq. From this he has extracted events that have involved women committing suicide bombings and rapidly makes the conclusions that Muslim men have forced women to self immolate. Then he proceeds to say. "Do Muslim fundamentalist know that woman are their mothers and the mothers of their sons? Any religion that has the plausibility (key word) to make women kill themselves is a virus to humanity."

Equally anyone killing women and children regardless of their faith or any other position is killing 'mothers' and 'sons' yet in this particular case he declares Muslims who commit these horrendous acts as uniquely 'human viruses'.

Clearly this posting is a form of hate speech orienting around Islam. Iraq has never been fundamentalist anything and was in fact a secular dictatorship with a war imposed from outside.

The posters knows that Iraqis are mainly Muslims, makes assumptions and declares Muslims 'human viruses'.

This is a form of dehumanisation identical to terminology used by nazis.

[edit on 062828p://pm2830 by masonwatcher]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

No more dehumanizing than referring to Israelis, en masse, as "zionists".

Please, just go somewhere else.....your crap drips with snottiness and bigotry.

Please.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Nice try at twisting my words. I think people without any bias will do a much better job at understanding the points I was making.

You are Muslim. Would you care to comment on the question I was asking? Specifically the role of women in Islam.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

top topics

join