It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology: The New Opiate Of The Masses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Before you even read the thread, you propose to ban it??? Seems quite draconian.

The T&C of ATS allows for the discussion of drugs in a very specific format. You can not promote drug use nor talk about personal experiences with drugs. If someone wishes to discuss how people are getting addicted to technology, much like a drug addiction, then that is within the T&C of ATS.

Perhaps you should open your mind and actually READ the thread before you propose to blindly ban it. If you are offended, then don't enter the thread. No one is forcing it upon you.

Personally, I see people addicted to tobacco, junk food, the internet, and religion. It is just like the rat in the lab, who cant stop pushing the lever that stimulates the brain. It isn't good for you, but people do it anyway. We have all heard storied about people who spent so much time online, either playing games, or chatting, that they have neglected their family, friends, health and hygiene, and life in general. Much like Heroine, people do indeed get addicted to certain forms of technology. I know people who can't live without their cell phones, and others who will answer a call and even text while driving because they are so addicted. The monkey on their back can take many forms.

I approve of this thread.

I disapprove mindless censorship.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
hey, op. sorry about the derailed thread.....back on topic.

first off, i really like the word: pollyannish

the movie Wall-E really hit on this topic. while i was watching that movie i had a sense of shame for identifying with those infantile characters that are totally absorbed by their entertainments. (even as i sit and type this out!)

for the first time in human history, we are able to hold a mirror to ourselves in order to discover what is truly inside of each of us individually. to fully comprehend our place in this world and this universe. the addiction is not technology, but rather: self-interest. (see: narcissus)

it seems to me that we are exactly where evolution wants us to be. (queue music: thus spoke zarathustra)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
the movie Wall-E really hit on this topic. while i was watching that movie i had a sense of shame for identifying with those infantile characters that are totally absorbed by their entertainments. (even as i sit and type this out!)

for the first time in human history, we are able to hold a mirror to ourselves in order to discover what is truly inside of each of us individually. to fully comprehend our place in this world and this universe. the addiction is not technology, but rather: self-interest. (see: narcissus)

it seems to me that we are exactly where evolution wants us to be. (queue music: thus spoke zarathustra)

No worries, honestly. And interesting point about Wall-E (especially considering, iirc, that Disney had a hand in that one), I think the viewer was supposed to identify with those characters.

Self-interest, like technology, is a double-edged sword, as I see it--you have to have some degree of it to examine yourself and question your own motivations, but not so much that you ignore the needs of others. With addictions, the person is very much driven by their own wants and what their (altered) biochemistry tells them they need... and they do ignore the world and the people around them.

Technology has the potential to connect people, expose them to wider viewpoints and (one would hope) help them achieve a better understanding of themselves and empathy with others, but somehow... it seems to be used more as an instant-gratification system that breeds dependence on self-entertainment.

So... yes, I agree, but I don't understand why we do what we do with the tools and technologies that we have. I see us doing it (myself included, yes) but I honestly don't know why. ^^

new topics

<< 1   >>

join