It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Drafts Letter to Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Officials of Barack Obama's administration have drafted a letter to Iran from the president aimed at unfreezing US-Iranian relations and opening the way for face-to-face talks, the Guardian has learned.

The US state department has been working on drafts of the letter since Obama was elected on 4 November last year. It is in reply to a lengthy letter of congratulations sent by the Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, on 6 November.

Diplomats said Obama's letter would be a symbolic gesture to mark a change in tone from the hostile one adopted by the Bush administration, which portrayed Iran as part of an "axis of evil".

www.guardian.co.uk...

Well, here's a breath of fresh air. I remember last year people were making guesstimates as to when Bush was going to order our troops into Iranian territory, and here we are about to send them an 'apology letter' to Ahmadinejad.

I don't think we can honestly expect a letter apologizing for all the threats and violations of sovereignty our nation has committed to Iran, the kind of letter Ahmadinejad wants, but it is obviously a step in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see just what kind of letter is written, and hopefully it can lead to eventual face to face meetings between Ahmadinejad and Obama. We can only hope.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I agree, S&F. Hopefully Obama can deescalate some of the tension that arose during Bush 2's second term. I'd get ready for the fire, though.

Here thar be warmongers.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Of course, only one person, '___'eviant, is interested in a news piece that sheds the Obama Administration in positive light! Who would want to admit to anything good this person does? Much less see him act on a promise he gave during the elections, which was open up peaceful diplomatic talks with Tehran. Its much more useful to everyone's personal agenda against 'The Powers That Be' (ooh... scary name!) to only revel in the tabloid rumors claiming Obama's mom's brother's co-worker's girl-friend's dog saw him born in Kenya, or that some random elementary school in California recently erected a bronze statue in worship of the 'Messiah'.

Good Stuff.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Glad to see that Hillary is going to be involved, I know that we cannot go back to prebush days in our table talks, but we cna and will sit down to come to an amicable agreement to work towards peace in the future without compromising our Nations safety in the process.

new topics

top topics

join