It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Spacecraft (T-GT) Capable of redirecting near Earth Asteroid’s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Earth Spacecraft (T-GT) Capable of redirecting near Earth Asteroid’s

I was catching some waves on the net, when I came across an interesting website: The B612 Foundation. As far as I can tell these guys have created a “Gravity Tractor spacecraft” I have added the link www.b612foundation.org... with all the worry about 2012 and near earth impacts I figured I would throw this one to the ATS’s

I guess the guys at JPL have gave this a serious look, and funding. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this project. Here is a quote that entails some of the crafts capable functions

The study confirms that a t-GT spacecraft can determine the orbit of an asteroid accurately enough to assess whether or not it is on an impact course with Earth, even if that course must pass through a relatively small keyhole first. Furthermore, towing operations by such a spacecraft will work with a simple and robust spacecraft design. Finally, the GT towing capability is adequate to assure that an asteroid does not pass through a return keyhole2 whether such threat arises naturally (e.g. Apophis in 2029) or as the result of a preceding Primary deflection impulse.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I also remember reading about this concept. Basically use the spacecraft and its gravitational attraction to "pull" or "tug" on an asteroid to change its trajectory.

Problem with that, is that the spacecraft would have to be considerably large and have enough mass that would exceed the mass and size of the asteroid.

A better option would be to simply land small rocket modules onto the asteroid and fire those rockets to "push" the asteroid to another trajectory.

In either scenario, this would have to be accomplished well in advance, and calculated so that when the asteroid's trajectory is changed, it does not change it to the point where the asteroid encounters something else that changes the trajectory again, and perhaps change it right back to a collision course with Earth once more.

It can be done, but I think the rocket module concept is more practical than building some huge spacecraft to use gravitic pull to change an asteroid's trajectory.

Unless soon they come up with a tractor beam like device, but even with something like that, the spacecraft would have to still be of a considerable size and have enough thrust power to effectively "pull" on an asteroid with either gravitic pull or a tractor beam pull.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Unless soon they come up with a tractor beam like device, but even with something like that, the spacecraft would have to still be of a considerable size and have enough thrust power to effectively "pull" on an asteroid with either gravitic pull or a tractor beam pull.

Just like the Princess in Angry Birds: Star Wars

new topics

join