It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If man kind is to survive, religion must end

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+127 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
First, if you think religion should be abolished right now, then flag and star right now.
Im not going to post links and sources, because this is just a statement that I firmly believe in.

I just sat with my daughter and watched the Bill Maher movie "Religulous" about religion, and although I know he hand picked the wackiest of all people to put in his film and did some creative editing to boost the point, the bottom line is the point is correct.

War, Policy, and pretty much everything else that effects the growth of man as a species is driven by people who use religion to direct them.

Religion must stop, end of story. Logic and common sense are the only things you should look to when you are faced with a problem.

Oh and guess what, logic tells me I just got a whole bunch of people angry, and they are going to want to debate me on this. So im not going to debate anyone here, by simply not replying to any comments that show disagreement, because you are exactly the type of person who I do not want to associate my self with.
So If you don't like what I have to say, then put me on your ignore list, because that is where you are going as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So like...does that mean you want to end Christmas oh heartless one? Or can we keep the pagan rituals?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I don't totally disagree with you and I certainly won't put you on any ignore list but I do have a question. If you don't want to talk about your thread with any who do not share your opinion,why post at all? Just curious.(shrug) Peace and light to you r!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by HERACAT]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This is a double-edged sword imo.

First, anything that divides the human race into hostile and/or aggressive factions is very bad.

Second, some people would not know how to be kind to their fellow man without some help from religion or philosophy.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HERACAT
. If you don't want to talk about your thread with any who do not share your opinion,why post at all? Just curious.(shrug) Peace and light to you r!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by HERACAT]

I agree with you.... what is the point of starting a thread if you don't want to discuss with those who disagree with you..I don't see any logic or common sense in that.

I will not waste my time to put the OP on my Ignore list, but I will post my views as it may put a little bit of common sense and logic in the OP.

The reality is that religion has been part of Human history for thousands of years and has shaped and influenced our lives and the society we live in today. Certainly many wars have been fought and still are being fought in the name of religion and many innocent people have lost their lives in those wars. But is religion at fault or Humans who misinterpret religion at fault.

There are no religions that promote hatred or division. It is us humans that create division and hatred by using religion for our own greed and selfishness. Even if religion never existed we would have found another way to create division and Hatred. People never see the commonality in all the religions but we see only the differences.

Common sense and logic would say that you should know about a subject before criticizing it. The simple fact that you don’t want to argue with those against your views clearly shows that you don’t understand anything about religion.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
If religion was removed tomorrow, I don't believe Mankind would change it's ways at all. Territory, power and conquest are our driving forces. Before the advent of organized religion, man was killing man. The Cold War and threatened nuclear war wasn't founded on religious beliefs, it was founded on conflicting political ideologies (territory, power and conquest). Religion is a cloak used to conceal the reasons one man is s**ty to his neighbors. I'm neither religious or atheist, it just seems we can destroy ourselves without the help of religion

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden
First, if you think religion should be abolished right now, then flag and star right now.
Im not going to post links and sources, because this is just a statement that I firmly believe in.
Ok so you believe we should abolish religion. Lets see where this leads us, should I call you Moa or Stalin? Move to China dude, see how you go there.

War, Policy, and pretty much everything else that effects the growth of man as a species is driven by people who use religion to direct them.

How do you propose we abolish religion.
We will need policies backed by new laws outliing the terms for all abolished religions, the belief in and practice of, terms for punishment and facilities to cater for believers and practitioners of religion.
We will have to redifine current civil rights and liberties while we are at it.
We will need to police these laws.
We will have to rid our law enforcemnet personal of religious people.
Logically, we would expect people to dissent against these laws that try to abolish many personal rights and basic freedoms of spirituality.
So a strategic plan for massive civil unrest needs to be prepared for.
Also, Is this a just domestic policy or does it also extend to foreign policy.
As there may be a need for WAR to enforce the Policy if it is indeed a global ideal for us to abolish religion. Logically, WAR would be inevitable as many Religious States exist in the world. Jewish-Isreal, Islamic states etc, Hindu states.
We will again need to establish a religious free Armed Forces before we wage war against religion, through our policy of Abolish Religion.

I am excited by your post. Your logic is of the clearest mind. I see it clearly now. We need Policy, and War. To end Religion because apparently it creates policy and war.
Star This Post if you think the OP has no Idea whatsoever!

Religion must stop, end of story.
Hate and ignorance must stop.

Logic and common sense are the only things you should look to when you are faced with a problem.
And you should start to do that.

Oh and guess what, logic tells me I just got a whole bunch of people angry, and they are going to want to debate me on this. So im not going to debate anyone here, by simply not replying to any comments that show disagreement, because you are exactly the type of person who I do not want to associate my self with.
So If you don't like what I have to say, then put me on your ignore list, because that is where you are going as well.
LOL. You my friend, are a religious cliche personified!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If you are speaking of abolishing modern Western religions, then yes, I whole heartedly agree.

But if you are including ancient Eastern religions, religions which generally (even to this day) teach messages of tolerance and balance, then I will respectfully disagree with your decision to lump all religions together.

[edit on 12/23/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Interesting.Theologist Dr Willard Fuller is of the same opinion as you.You can google him or check out his project The Spiritual United Nations.He is of the opinion the middle east should be called The HOLEY LAnd because of all the bombs being dropped on the innocent and the so called religious wars.I had the fotune of spending a few weeks with him recently,hes an amazing human being 95 yrs old quick witted and a sincere man with a mission.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Religion must stop, end of story. Logic and common sense are the only things you should look to when you are faced with a problem.
reply to post by robwerden

"Logic and common sense are the only things you should look to when you are faced with a problem."

That is the very important conclusion. If people/ humans can't look at a difficult problem and see the correct logical moral conclusion that should be made without religion, then they are in trouble!

Religion is a crutch for the religious. IMHO, GOD meant for us to make decisions about right and wrong based on our own judgement.

I may happen to think that Earth is a very difficult place to test souls. If you do well you may get out of this HELL.

If you don't learn the important personal lessons about right, wrong and personal integrity and honesty, you come back again and again to learn and relearn!

Many important sears, profits, religious people and philosophers have come to a similar conclusion.

Not to say that religion isn't important today. Of course it is but that is because mankind hasn't progressed. Eventually it will.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

And, If planet earth is to survive, mankind must end..

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hate and intolerance must end.
it's that simple. Religion itself doesn't necassarily cause harm, it's the people who can't tolerate some one else' beliefs that decide to go out and kill someone 'cause of it.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther

And, If planet earth is to survive, mankind must end..

yeah i don't think the planet is going anywhere...as to the op,as much as i dislike religion,its a choice for people to take that no one can take away.But in the future if the current trend continues it will dwindle down through education and common sense on its own.It wont be anywhere near as powerful or large in 100 years time.Im talking about christianity in the west here specifically,islam is on the rise,but that will follow the same route eventually.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

True, but it could easily be argued that not only does "Religion" perpetuate and promote it [hate and intolerance], but it also magnifies peoples emotions.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I agree with you and ask you how do you propose to end religion? Outlaw it? Protest it? Lobby legislative bodies? Launch lawsuits? Violent overthrow? Launch massive advertising campaigns? Subliminal programming?

Let us assume you are successful, then what? How do you suggest people redirect the time and energy once spent contemplating a relationship with whichever deity they had chosen? What are the ones who overcame addictions, for example, going to do? Where will they go for continued support and help in remaining drug or alcohol free?

How do you propose the replace the charitable works of many of these religious organisations? Who will take over and run shelters for abused women and children? Who will temporarily house and feed homeless families? What about hospitals that are run by religious organisations?

There is more than thinking involved here. Entire institutions and structures would have to be dismantled in order to rid the world of the religious scourge.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by prototism

I've seen people hated for their color of the skin, religion is often used as a scapegoat for why, science, stories, whatever.

People just use their religion to hide their hate, remove it and they'll find another.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The abolishment of religion is one of the many steps in the NWO...

I'm an atheist but will defend the rights of people's beliefs...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

To me with that statement alone, kind of Makes you just as much of a fanatic about your cause as some of the religious "nuts" in the movie you mentioned as well.

you take on the "I'm right your wrong" and end the discussion before the first post could even be made..

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
These types of posts come a dime a dozen and'll be forgotten in a day or two.

Since I never partake in these discussions, I felt I should on this one.

If the OP thinks that aboloshing religion will solve man kinds problem, he lives in a bubble of hatred and ignorance.

There are a hundred other things out there today which harms us more then even the most radical of religions.

Some of these are:
Wars

Political Correcteness (I'm all for being polite and respectful, but PC is insanity.)

Government (Not all government, just the corrupt ones we have today)

etc.

So before you go posting about how religion should be outlawed, it's serve in your best interest to actually do some real thinking about the problems we have today.

Peace,
FK

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Removing religion would not save mankind, it would destory it.

An entire worlds worth of religious people wont be happy to be told they can no longer believe in their God/s. Worldwide war...

I am a Christian of my own personal denomination... I pray once a day, because I choose to do so. I have never been to a church service for myself...Largely because I'm too lazy and I don't see the point. I am not even a great person...by Christian standards I am a huge sinner.

I'm hardly a great Christian now am I? BUT I will die before anyone outlaws mine, or any other religion.

And on the large part religion is a good thing anyway...it unties people and provides morals, yes it contradicts itself and provides the wrong message many times...but so does everything. The Bible is written by man, and thus the writers prefernces will make it in there at some point, whether there was a God or not...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join