It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need info on banshees

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Banshee's are demons from Irish folklore. If you've seen the Disney film "Darbey O'Gill and the Little People", you'll understand it. They say that a Banshee will scream when someone will die. The banshee will attack the one who doesn't hear the scream, for it will be the one to kill. I heard a banshee wale. It sounded like a blood-curdling scream mixed with a yelp of a dog. Unfortunately, the sound a banshee makes is the sound of the fallen one. So, scream makes female, yelp make dog. I come home and my female dog, named Daisy, had her neck mangled and broken. Banshees are devilish creatures, normally taking the form of a Priestess. Most sightings are confirmed as a green form by a large river, stream, or pond.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I read a load of BS here. The Banshee is not a demon. She is merely the announcer of death. She will not scream at anyone's face or kill anyone, but will be heard keening in the vicinity of the home of someone who is going to die in one of the five Irish families she is associated with (although by extension, it is believed she will cry over any Irish person's death). Stop watching horror movies or Tv series exploiting Irish culture and reducing it to meaningless brainless versions.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Yeah, my bad. I need to learn not to trust Wikipedia so much, it does have a lot of BS on it. But everything else I say is true due to experiences with banshees. Banshees are spirits, though. They cannot be earthbound nor Hell bound, so it has to come from the Grigori(or Watchers). That would be the only explanation I could find.

P.S: Banshee is derived from the Irish term Ban Si, which means "Women of the Side".

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well i could have always been wrong about what exactly was screaming to this person; coulda been something else, could be right. Noot too worried about it. She's said that she hasn't heard it since her uncle got her a blessed cross, and last time i talked to her, she had been going to the cemetary to pick up knocked over flowers for the dead, whom she see's and says that they appreciate it. (So Cool)

I wish i'd hear from her more often.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
if you need info on banshees here:
mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Banshee

here you go

-fallenangel97

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well to see a banshee you have (and this is from irish mythology) you have to be of true gaelic blood and only certen family lines are haunted by the ban sidhe ( ban shee means woman of the shee ) ban shee are not evil they are in fact mourners who are sent by the sidhe ( shee) to give a cry of anguish and loss at the death of a person it is an honor to have a ban shhe cry for your death.. but to hear the cry of the ban shee means that death is iminent but the ban shee is in no way evil

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by donteatthedaisies
Maybe it was a cat making the noise?

Just some constructive feed back, But from the information I've gathered a cat cannot make the noise a banshee can make, A banshee emits a high pitched very loud noise that can only been heard by those needing to hear it..It's suppose to carry some kind of spiritual message to those who can actually 'understand' a banshee [Or so I've been told] as for the death notice thing, I've heard this A LOT, So I'm going to naturally 'assume' that it MAY have some legitimacy to it...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
Nobody has ever seen one. Its like another bigfoot theory. Until they are documented with pictures and proven real they do not Exist.

I chose to not believe and that's my right. But until something like this is proven there is no reason to run around terrified thinking you are being stalked by banshees. And there is no reason to scare other people and feed their fears on banshees.
Several animals can make a banshee sounding scream and at night that can be scary. But just because you can hear something and not see it does not that its a demonic creature out to get you. There is usually a real explanation for it but nobody tries to find out what or why. They just stick with the sensational and it gets them the attention they desire.

You have not personally seen one but I have and it was by far the most terrifying thing I have EVER and hope to ever see in my entire life. It was skeletal and wearing a black silky night outfit of some sort with long grey hair and it was waving it's arms above it's head and running while also screaming. I was terrified. I just stopped and stared. I was frozen. Shortly after there was a death in my family. I have not seen one since and hope to never again, like I said. It was hideous and I can still feel the terror in me just like I did on that day about 17 years ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kiwiemperor
I'm talking with a girl who's been screamed at by banshees 3 or 4 times. I may have heard one once, anyone got any info on them that would be useful to her?

Take no notice of my daughter, I only do it when she wont clean her room.
It's probably randy cats or foxes gettin it on under her window.

edit on 18-3-2011 by Suspiria because: It's spring..

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm going to randomly bring this thread back from the dead. I was always pretty skeptical of the banshee legends here in Ireland, there are a lot of people here who despite modernisation and Christianity still believe in many of the 'old wives tales' and one of the most prominent is that of the banshees.

The legend here is that banshees are attached to a female blood line and that they will cry or 'keen' for any deaths in that bloodline, my whole family claims to have heard it at the death of my great-grandmother and I have heard it too, it sounds like the earth crying in pain for your loss. Although this deviates dramatically from the norm of the legend, the day my dog died I heard it and within 24 hours of her burial every leaf blew off every tree around the grave, there was an entirely localised storm and this was in the middle of August, it was extremely strange. My mother suggested that as a dog obviously cannot be from the same bloodline as us that it could be our grief which 'awoke' or 'summoned' her. I felt an enormous amount of comfort in it, it was like the land showing solidarity with us in pain and grief, it has never been deemed a scary or malicious creature to my family but rather a watcher. I'm sure different families have differen stories and associations, it could be the projection of grief makes us think that the wind howling is in fact the keening of a banshee but to me, knowing the people who have heard it so well, it is not an adequate explanation.

I just thought I would add a little to this conversation, I'm interested in other people's experiences and theories.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: cacnotcam

You have not personally seen one but I have and it was by far the most terrifying thing I have EVER and hope to ever see in my entire life. It was skeletal and wearing a black silky night outfit of some sort with long grey hair and it was waving it's arms above it's head and running while also screaming. I was terrified. I just stopped and stared. I was frozen. Shortly after there was a death in my family. I have not seen one since and hope to never again, like I said. It was hideous and I can still feel the terror in me just like I did on that day about 17 years ago.

That doesn't sound like any sighting or descriptions I have ever heard of a banshee, at least not where I am from. Perhaps you were dealing with something different, banshees do not generally have a reputation for harming or stalking anyone.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: emmy

Sounds like a screech owl to me.
That description is what I have heard at night from that type of owl here in northern New England.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join