It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drillers hit magma chamber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Drillers in Hawaii Strike Subterranean Molten Rock by Chance

While drilling for a geothermal well Puna Geothermal encountered a magma chamber at a depth of about 1 1/2 miles. This is the first time that magma has ever been found in an undisturbed state. The discovery allows geologist to study the processes which may have originally formed the Earth's crust.
Source

[edit on 12/18/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeah very interesting indeed.

I am curious what they will find out about the forming of the earth.

I like the fact that we are on a living planet and I think because of the moon tidal waves/oceans and the magnetic field because of the magma flow this planet can sustain life.

Are we the only living planet left in this galaxy with magma under the crust?

and how is it possible that it keeps on going?

is the earth a perpetual mobile?

This find raises lots of questions for me, thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I guess because I do not fully understand a great deal about geological stuff I don’t understand how this did not erupt out when it does in a volcano. Granted they say the magma does not contain gas which causes the eruption process. So I guess my question is how does a volcano get gas when a magma chamber does not? Aside from the obvious jokes that could be told along with that question though.

Really though this is interesting stuff definitely a surprise for them and something to study.

Raist

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I believe the supposed reason for the earth's core being molten is the decay of radioactive elements.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Because the magma rising in the magma chamber increases the pressure in the chamber. In a lava tube, or a chamber where the magma and pressure are equilized you won't have an eruption.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bl0rg

nope, its because of massive pressures increasing temperatures. Radioactive elements cant heat up rocks to the extent that they melt. the magma in question is mafic, and therefore will only melt in temperatures around 1000 degrees Celsius or higher.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by funny_pom

errr..

The Earth has two sources of internal heat. One is the heat of accretion, which is heat converted from gravitational energy as the materials which formed the Earth fell together under gravity in the early Solar System. This heat is now estimated to make up about 20% of the total heat flow from the Earth’s interior. That fact is an indication of how long it has taken the Earth to vent this heat to space
The other source of heat is the decay of radioactive isotopes of uranium,
thorium and potassium, incorporated into the Earth at its accretion. This
radiogenic heat is the principal explanation of why the Earth’s interior
is still so hot after billions of years. Without radiogenic heat the
Earth would by now have cooled down to the point where the core would
probably be solid.

www.madsci.org...

Radioactive decay accounts for 80% of the earth's internal heat.

new topics

top topics

join