It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Alert**Plague Confirmed** Los Alamos, NM 10th Dec, 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This alert makes you wonder if a cat is infected. What was it hunting that it got it from?

Plague has been confirmed in a cat in Los Alamos, and the state Department of Health is encouraging people to keep pets from hunting and take other precautions against the disease. An Eddy County man who caught plague in January from hunting rabbits is New Mexico's sole case of human plague this year. Last year, New Mexico recorded five human cases, one of them fatal. Plague is a bacterial disease of rodents that's generally transmitted to humans through the bites of infected fleas, but can be transmitted by direct contact with infected animals. Plague was found earlier this year in cats and dogs in Santa Fe, Rio Arriba and Bernalillo counties. Most of the pets recovered, although one cat developed pneumonic plague and died.

Source

I pray this is contained and does not spread.

-Kdial1

[edit on 10-12-2008 by kdial1]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If memory serves me, this is always present in the wild, to varying degrees. The amount of contact between humans and infected animals is low, so the incident of human plague is also low.

I don't believe this is anything new, or even unduly troublesome.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Agreed, what scared me is they are coming out and saying in this report that yes it can be spread to humans, through flea's.

BTW, I like your new AVATAR, been about 4 month's since I have been on here.

-Kdial1

[edit on 10-12-2008 by kdial1]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

It would be prudent to make people aware of the risks, so I see nothing overtly sinister in this. As the population increases, the amount of contact between infected rodents, who seem to be immune, and humans is bound to increase. It would be awkward to have even a limited outbreak of the plague, and have it found out later that there was prior knowledge of this without prior warnings of the possibility.

Thank you. This is only my second avatar since I became a member, and I like it very much. it was created by King Lizard; a genius at expressing in picture what I could only put into ineffectual words.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Being from NM cases of plague are not really very common but the cases have been fairly persistent over the years . A few one year none for a few years then 4 or 6 just kinda fluctuates .

Human cases in the last 30years are few one or two every few years .

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
lots of cases every year. nothing new.

source

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Isn't it quite treatable as well with anti-biotics?

It's not the killer it used to be, that's for sure. A pain in the arse for those concerned, but I'd rather have Plague than something like Ebola!

EDIT: It's still quite prevalent in the third world too and still not even a big killer there.

[edit on 10/12/08 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

There are several strains of antibiotics which can treat the plague.It breaks out every so often in China,but humans aren't as easy to kill as we once were.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
could this be ~THE HORRIBLE SOMETHING~ that the web bot predicted would happen on this day, and not an earthquake but and earth shattering plague?
ugh
Im looking for something that might be seen as the 'something' the web bot was/is predicting.....

[edit on 12/10/08 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I read awhile ago that prairie dogs and ferrets have been notable carriers of plague in the wild and as stated previously is not that great big of a deal in that respect as that fact in itself is nothing new, however, on the other hand that has to qualify it as capable of being transmitted to rats or other domesticated animals like cats or dogs and in turn make it easier to infect the general human population and spark and epidemic, right?

[edit on 10-12-2008 by phinubian]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I was shocked last year by another article of a case of the plague
!!

As NGC2736 stated, it is important that everyone becomes aware that the threat is still around here was my thread from AUG of '07 on the plague found in Arizona prairie dogs:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
So what kinda plague is it? What are the symptoms?
Also, do you think my poor dog may have it? She has been acting strange today, walking around with her tail between her legs and she threw up twice this evening, she also won't come when I call her, she just stays in her little house with a look of terror on her face, poor hing, this just stated today, very strange I hope she gets better.

-Lahara

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
We are talking about Bubonic Plague right? There are usually a few plague cases each year in the US and im pretty sure that none have been fatal, antibiotics can pretty much take care of the plague now.
Now Ebola, that one scares the hell out of me lol but I dont think there have been any confirmed cases in the US that originated in the US.

[edit on 12/10/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Please do more research on these kind of things and avoid panicked, knee jerk reactions.

People usually get plague from being bitten by a rodent flea that is carrying the plague bacterium or by handling an infected animal. Millions of people in Europe died from plague in the Middle Ages, when human homes and places of work were inhabited by flea-infested rats. Today, modern antibiotics are effective against plague, but if an infected person is not treated promptly, the disease is likely to cause illness or death.

Risk: Wild rodents in certain areas around the world are infected with plague. Outbreaks in people still occur in rural communities or in cities. They are usually associated with infected rats and rat fleas that live in the home. In the United States, the last urban plague epidemic occurred in Los Angeles in 1924-25. Since then, human plague in the United States has occurred as mostly scattered cases in rural areas (an average of 10 to 15 persons each year). Globally, the World Health Organization reports 1,000 to 3,000 cases of plague every year. In North America, plague is found in certain animals and their fleas from the Pacific Coast to the Great Plains, and from southwestern Canada to Mexico. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions: 1) northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado; and 2) California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada. Plague also exists in Africa, Asia, and South America (see map).

Source: CDC Website

[edit on 12/10/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

This is not a panicked knee jerked reaction, this was simply an "Alert" to people of the Southwest that plague has been confirmed. I myself grew up in Arizona and being an avid hunter, I always kept everyone informed of outbreaks. This is simply a warning to owners of pets, hikers, outdoorsman and hunters that there is an outbreak.

It is better to be informed than to be ignorant. I see since I have been gone members have become very defensive. Sorry if I offended you Kr0n0s, but this is not a fear mongering thread. This is a warning to people of the southwest.

-Kdial1

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Bubonic plauge has been found in animals in the southwest for years, and years. Really there's nothing new here. Not to mention that there is treatment for it.

Now if it were Ebola, now there would be a reason to be worried.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by kdial1

Bubonic plauge has been found in animals in the southwest for years, and years. Really there's nothing new here. Not to mention that there is treatment for it.

Now if it were Ebola, now there would be a reason to be worried.

Yes, you are right along with everyone else. Yes there has been outbreaks for years, I have been through the whole warnings when they first were announced years ago. I guess I need to to be more exact in what I am trying to convey to everyone. This is simply a warning that there is an outbreak.

Everyone in the Southwest be careful. Seek immediate care if the following symptoms are noticed:

-Swollen Lymph Nodes
-Spots on the skin
-Difficulty Breathing
-Blood vomiting
-Aching limbs

Do not think these symptoms will pass, seek immediate care as death usually occurs in 50% of people within 4-7 days. Antibiotics will treat this. And many hospitals in the Southwest are well prepared.

-Kdial1

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Nothing at all wrong with posting a warning. Plauge is a scary thing to behold, I've never seen it first hand, don't want to, but a freind who ran into it in Africa somewhere, I think; on a mission, told me it's horrific looking. Though entirely treatable now...

top topics

join