It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Unemployment landslide looms as 40% of small businesses consider closing down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

UK: Unemployment landslide looms as 40% of small businesses consider closing down

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093537/Unemployment-landslide-looms-40-small-businesses-consider-closing-down.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/ url]

According to a 'shocking new report'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Workers must brace themselves for an 'insolvency epidemic' as British businesses go bust next year, according to a shocking new report."

Very bad news for the jobs market and the economy.

Big stores are obviously feeling the pinch, with many either shedding jobs like there's no tomorrow, or even closing.

But it's the small businesses who are feeling it the most.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093537/Unemployment-landslide-looms-40-small-businesses-consider-closing-down.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry, double post. My browser messed up, I think.

Can a mod clean it up, please?

Thanks

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Old Man]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here is the link...

Don't worry, UK will get their version of the "New New Deal" and a large scale War will be right around the corner.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Old Man

It's a bad situation made a lot worse by the media. Their scarey headlines about saving our money and over using terms like 'credit crunch' do serve to make things worse imho.

The Woolworths situation has been looming for a while, I wouldn't blame the credit crunch. Their only destination product was pic n mix. Their music sales had plummetted drasticly since Itunes began. Their music was compartively over priced and everything else they sold was available elsewhere in the highstreet. Their strategy was very wrong in that they had not changed for years. Their bankruptcy is not due to our current climate.

The story with other large chains is also not as simple. Take Halfords. It has announced redundencies in its head office and 200 within stores. In the first two quarters of this year it has published a 3.2% increase on last years profit.

Halfords , the car maintenance and cycles retailer, on Thursday posted a 3.2 percent increase in first-half profit and forecast full-year profit in line with expectations despite a slowdown in second-half sales.

www.execdigital.co.uk...

Yet the redundancies are blamed on the effects of the present climate.

Car accessory retailer Halfords later announced plans to shed around 250 jobs due to the impact of the economic downturn.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It seems that the big businesses can use the smoke screen of the credit crunch to hide harsh cost saving measures and emerge with an unharmed image while the smaller businesses are hurt by the media shockwave.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Indeed. BT just shed 10,000 temporary and overseas jobs, using the crrdit crunch as a cover, but if you look at their market position and profits, they are doing pretty well. For 2008, they expect full year profits to be in the region of £2.5 Billion.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
More evidence to encourage infinite to emigrate.

Britain twinned with North Korea.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I know of a few companies that have shut down to save there companies.

They plan to restart the business when the econamy starts to grow again.this plan will save enough money that they can restart under a new name.
without going bankrupt now.

If they keep going now they will bleed the company into bankruptcy before the turnaround.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I dont care if it does happen i cant get a job anyway.

I am a student so i can only work part time but i cant even get a job at KFC, Burger King, or Subway. What is the world coming to when you cant get a job in the fast food industry its ridiculous.

A job stacking shelves at a shop or supermarket is my dream job while i am studying but they are next to impossible to get.

If i cant get a job when i have finished my degree there will be trouble mark my words. Im getting £25, 000 in debt to study. There will be serious repercussions by me and many more like minded individuals our career needs if are not met.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by threelions]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by threelions

If i cant get a job when i have finished my degree there will be trouble mark my words. Im getting £25, 000 in debt to study. There will be serious repercussions by me and many more like minded individuals our career needs if are not met.

Everyone is feeling the pain wether you are a seasoned professional or student. Even the medical industry is starting to feel massive hardache. So now that you are upset and stirred the pot with threats, what exactly do you plan on doing?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I am out of a job and cannot find one, my friend also cannot find one, he left his work as garden maintenance due to the boss loosing his mind to be perfectly honest, and being winter its hard to do that work with no van no shed full of industrial equipment, and there's bugger all else. My mums boyfriend is a bricky, he will soon be out of work and in my position, I myself refuse to use "the dole" anymore because after 6 months they transfer you to a dodgy company with no health and safety in mind either doing mindnumbing "how to get a job" quizes or cutting down trees with a blunt hack saw or in their terms "conservation work" and now they want us to do community service as you may have seen on the news, I done no crime they can blow me before i'll do community service while some polish is taking my place at insert shop name here. no offence honestly but there are TOO MANY FORIGNERS IN THIS PLACE, NO WORK FOR PEOPLE WHO GREW HERE YA.

And if you can't see that the entire worlds economy collapsing at once is because money is an imaginary number then you should give up now. We have been lied to and blackmailed into forceable slave labour by new labour. # new deal # jobcenter stick it right back where brown pulled it from.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I just can't believe that people think this is natural!

Yet, ask anyone on the street. They just accept this crap as a fact of life.

It is obvious to me that our system is broken, why can't most others see this as well? We need a new one! A stable one! Not one that has bubbles and depressions!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by threelions

i will be in the same boat as you
when i leave Uni.

worst part about this is we as tax payers have but 100s of billions (almost 1 trillion) into banks to keep them afloat to stop collapse, so they can carry on and keep other companies afloat.

new regulations to help companies, abit late since thousends will be Jobless before they come into force.

labour party have screwed up big time,
we are the ones that will pay the price in the end. while the Fat cats have their cash to fall back on.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by threelions

Everyone is feeling the pain wether you are a seasoned professional or student. Even the medical industry is starting to feel massive hardache. So now that you are upset and stirred the pot with threats, what exactly do you plan on doing?

Well for a start immigration should be stopped, whats the point in allowing uncontrolled immigration when their are 2 million unemployed and their the governments figures in reality it is much higher. It is ridiculous.

I cant really do anything at the moment except not vote for labour which i will do. Besides i have another 2 and a half years until i finish university so there is time for the economy to pick up.

what will happen if it doesnt?

Protests, riots, crime, revolution whatever but do you really think people are just going to stay at home living on peanuts while these dirty fatcats tax us to death and take their massive bonusses and live like kings.

I should not have to have these worries i am doing well on my degree so far and am on course for a 1st.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Well if we both cant get jobs and loads of other people in our position cant either. we should all band together and boycott our payments for our debts as our education was useless, start flexing our muscles abit maybe start a criminal organisation and become the new drug kingpins of the UK lol

Either that or emigrate.

top topics

join