It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Patriot Reading List- "Give Me Liberty A Handbook for American Revolutionaries"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
ATSers have asked, "Where do we begin? How do we go about fixing our country? Who will take the lead?"

Every one who has been following the many threads about America needing a change, please star and flag this thread. I don't often ask for such, but I feel every one who desires a better future for the next generation of Americans, should make this known.

I say to that, to those who are serious. We will, We The People.

So I bought the book, yup the one in this threads title. 376 pages of info and sources, with topics such as "The War on Liberty" and "Vanishing Civic Education" to "A New American Revolution". This publication contains many resources and insights for "We The People" looking for common ground to start on.

After browsing the pages and chapters, I saw that the contents hold true to the title. It is a well researched and founded document which contains a detailed yet basic fundamental for developing change.

I'm looking forward to learning from this book, and already know it will serve as a great educational tool for what I have been so outspoken about here on ATS.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60499e94b1ca.jpg[/atsimg]Handbook
A quote of the back cover says:

As the practice of democracy becomes a lost art, Americans are increasingly desperate for a restored nation. Many have a general sense that the "system" is in disorder-if not on the road to functional collapse. But though it is easy to identify our political problems, the solutions are not always as clear.
GIVE ME LIBERTY
Naomi Wolf
ISBN-13: 978-1-4165-9056-9
Political Science

United We Stand, The Rest Is, Not An Option!

[edit- to add image w/link]

[edit on 22-12-2009 by ADVISOR]
edit on 6-5-2011 by ADVISOR because: this post seriously needed to be fixed...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
S+F ADVISOR,

Great thread. I might take a gander at that book as well. Just make sure you aren't too into it now! Stay alert, and more importantly stay safe.

-Ign0RanT

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Naomi Wolf is a true patriot!
Ron Paul is a true patriot!
Peter Schiff is a true Patriot!
So is Keith Olbermann and everyone else who exposes the lies of the main stream media and the present administration.

Give me Liberty of give me death!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant
S+F ADVISOR,
Stay alert, and more importantly stay safe.

-Ign0RanT

Oh man, STAY ALERT!

*Raises arm and leg in blocking/ready position*

STAY ALIVE!

*Strikes out with other arm, and stomps with leg*

Good memories, fun stuff.

LoL, thanks for the reply. I'll try not to get too into the book, but already feel that it's too late. This will be a good one. It shall have a new home next to my copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Ok, started reading the book and a part of the introduction really says what the author set out for this publication to be. Feel like sharing this so those who are looking for more on the book can see what it's intentions are. A quote from the intro:

I wrote this handbook with the faith that if Americans take personal ownership of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, they can push back any darkness. The first two sections of this refresher guide to our liberties recall what America is supposed to be; the last third is a practical how-to for citizen leadership for a new American Revolution.

At the end of the intro it says this;

We have to rise up in self defense and legitimate rebellion. We need more drastic action than e-mails to Congress.
We need the next revolution.

I'm already too into this book, this is some thing for every American to know.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Excellent book recommendation! Comes at the perfect time.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Naomi Wolf is a Rhodes scholar iirc. So people need to at least bare in mind that she could be an elitist pawn. There's a Rothschild quote, popularised in film: "when you see blood on the streets, buy".

The reality of the matter imo is as things stands any armed revolution will play into the elitist plans. I think it would be better if people think about peacefull revolution and change the system from within by peer pressure.

Altough the situation is tending to violence, cooler heads could yet prevail.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think it's interesting that we talk about who is a true patriot and who is a false patriot. Everyone should read The True Patriot by Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer. You could even read it for free at their web site. Everyone who believes that patriotism is only for those who are of a certain political party--they're wrong. It's how you act that makes you a patriot!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I have been recommending Both "The End of America" and "Give Me Liberty" by Naomi Wolf in most of my posts for the past year.

Excellent author as well as speaker.

Want a feel for what Ms. Wolf is trying to get across then press this link.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Freedom did not come cheap and unless we are vigilant, we will not remain a free people.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Although i am in the U.K i hope you will allow me to wish your luck with your new read!

i hope many of your countrymen take an interest in this book. As well as an interest in restoring what was the greatest nation on Earth.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

I strongly disagree with the notion that armed revolution only plays into the hands of the elitists. There's a philosophy that says that if a rock is about to slid off a cliff anyway, it deserves to be pushed. What is the point of having an armed citizenry if those citizens won't use those arms no matter what the provocation. I submit to you that the time to use those arms(or at least threaten to use them) is while we still have them. If the elitists are planning to implement Martial Law anyway, which I'm convinced is the case, then we're no worse off if it's our armed revolution that triggers it. How much harder will it be to throw off the elitist's chains after Martial Law is declared versus before?

I actually believe that a specific and organized threat to start an armed revolution would be a more effective tactic to use against the elitists than the actual act itself.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here is a link to Naomi Wolf's documentary The End of America!!

snagfilms.com...

I have not watched it yet as i just started reading this thread and managed to find this video so, lets all watch and formulate an opinion shall we?

[edit] for ARGGGGG commercials in the video :/ still watch, its just annoyng

[edit on 8-12-2008 by asafum08]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If there be revolution, then let there be a most wanted list (dead or alive--but mostly dead) of the 10000 most powerful elites names,addresses,and and maps showing locations be sent through out the world!The needs of the many out wieght the lives of the few.If it is going to be done then let it be done in a way that will leave a warning to future elites in the making,too the tune of a french revolution that helped end the age of kings.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
To the members whom have a concern about violent action in regards to revolution.

This worries me as an American and soldier, who knows first hand how violent action of a civil (uncivil as it is), nature plays out. It is horrible and unnecessary, and only breeds more of the same.

I will not say however that in certain circumstances, that a forceful measure is not required. It should only be considered as a last resort, and when the escalation of said force is brought by the opponent.

My stance is, that those who want to push a movement to restoring the US of A, we need to continue deliberation of possible options for actions less than violent. Violence is never a solution, but a catalist towards more violence.

That is what the powers that be or the NWO want. They do not want us to remember our Bill of Rights, or Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. They want the people to know Britney spears, and Hugh Grant, this is the dumbing down of our society. When people know and care more about entertainment than their rights. A shame, on them for getting away with it, and on us for allowing it...

Freedom of speech and to peacefully assemble is not just our right, but it is our duty. As is our right and duty to address our government for a redress of grievances. If we don't agree with what they are doing, then they are wrong, as are we if we don't say any thing.

I'm taking notes from Give me Liberty, and when finished those will be shared. There is a lot to be remembered, we already know what must be, we all just need a reminder is all.

Only when we the people can sit among each other as was intended, and again the key word, "deliberate" among our selves what it is Americans were meant to represent as an ideal of freedom for every one. Will we the people be able to find the solution and right action/s of bringing about such solution.

The Charters of Freedom (I am sure many of you are familar with this reference from my earlier posts and threads), were not written saying that we should be represented by a elite ruling body. It very clearly states we are the ruling body, and the representatives our listeners, who speak and act based on our decisions, not their own.

The hidden closed door meetings, and amendments of our rights about wiretapping and domestic surveillance among others are un-American and illegal by what our Founding Fathers established this nation to be. They intended this country to be a open and citizen controlled government. Where we have the duty as freemen "and women" to assemble and speak our minds. To address the changes (a redress of grievances), we see fit to be made as we the people were intended.

Because this, is the land of the free, and home of the brave. Not the corporations and lobbyists, or foreign investors.

Congress, Senate, House and every one on the capitol hill are meant to answer to us, we the people. Not us to them as the perception appears to be.

The difference between perception and reality is, perception is false and illusion. Reality is truth and real, as an American I will stand up and take action for the defense of such. I took the oath "that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same".

That, is the first priority of mine, one which I shall never, be moved from.

I understand that if a lie is repeated enough it may be believed, but it is still a lie. It is no more the truth than it was originally. This may be an issue in todays society, people have been led to believe the lies of the last three decades or so. This can only be corrected if we take the rights America was founded upon, and exercise them as our duty to do so.

An example given in "A Handbook for American Revolutionaries" gives;
Slaves gained their freedom because a brave few spoke out and made a stand that "All men are created equal" applies to every human being.

The same type of people made it possible for woman to have equal rights as well. Those people were not a majority, and in those times, were perceived as not having any rights. What happened, they moved this country in the right direction with out violence, and won. We are now a better nation because of it, and also because of it we have a historic president elect.

I know we the people can perform our duties as Americans, if enough are willing to try.

All it takes is one...

Andrew Jackson said;
"One man with courage is a majority"

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Great thread and last post Advisor.

America definitely more true patriots such as yourself.

I heard Aaron Russo mention that women rights were pushed through by the rocafellers so they could tax the women and get the children away from their parents and into the care of the 'institutions' at an earlier age.

I also think Obama is just another puppet, chosen by the elite because he is the right man for the current situation. They wanted someone who could subdue the masses......

S+F, peace

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am open to all idea's but please inform me what is exactly wrong with our government?

wiretapping phones is for our personal safety. so unless you are doing something wrong in the first place who cares....

if someone listens to my phone calls i could give two #s.... you know why... because I am not doing anything wrong anyways.

if the government tracks where i travel.... I DONT CARE...

freedom is the ability to do what you want and go where you want as long as it doesnt affect others in a negative way.

i can go where I want and do what I want. I can go to school and get a good job or travel the country as a nomad.

I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT. If the government keeps a few secrets from us for our own safety i think thats perfectly fine.

When has the government stopped you from doing what you want?

I agree the government helps immigrants a little to much and spends some of its money wrong.... but if men are in control... there will always be corruption. you cant get around that.

we have a fair system for criminals in which you can defend yourself. yes sometimes its corrupt but the system isnt corrupt, people are corrupt.

what do you talk about thats so important that the government cant listen? you guys need to stop acting like you have a curfew and are limited in where u can travel.

YOU CAN EVEN LEAVE THE FLIPPIN COUNTRY AND NEVER COME BACK IF YOU WANT.

thats freedom if I ever heard of it.

theres no tax on food and clothing because they are necessities. everything else that is taxed is called in economics a WANT. what people want is limitless... by nature people will always have wants.

Take an economics class or two and you will realize everything is pretty much in check. the economy is a giant and complex system and has flaws that will take thousands of years to perfect.

but again I have an open mind.... so please tell me. why arent we free?

and dont chime in that I am ignorant. because I really want to understand. But I have watched the movie "america freedom to facism" and many other movies that talk about how we arent free and blah blah and then I do my own research and find out there movies are just crap. there are holes in there theories.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sciencenewby

"what is exactly wrong with our government?"

The processes of enroachment upon rights that were meant to never be violated.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yet there are restrictions in the peoples right to assemble and speak freely, and protest, called free speech zones. A restricted area fenced off and away from those the assemblies are meant to be heard by.

Not to mention this isn't free, people who wish to protest now must pay a fee in order to do so. Not to mention when people do assemble, they have to worry about tasers, rubber bullets and tear gas, and now microwave energy waves which heats their skin to 130 degree.

The Bill of Rights was created so people could speak out, assemble and confront their government with out fear. Yet this is not true today. The documents the Founding Fathers wrote says the people have rights and freedoms to do the above, freely and with out the government hindering them.

It doesn't say they can do so while, dodging tear gas, rubber bullets or worrying about arrest after paying for a license to assemble.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The same can be said about listening to peoples phone calls or reading their emails. The technology didn't exist then, but the idea that "the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches...shall not be violated"

How is it that an entire nation of people could be suspect?
The government was wrong during Water Gate for illegal listening devices, and it is today. A warrant is required for each person and specific reasons for the issue of a warrant. Their is no mass warrant, and their is no right for the government to violate people private lives, as shown in Amendment IV.

If some one is suspected of doing wrong, the proof is needed with the presentation of the warrant. Can any one explain to me how an entire nation of Americans are suspects, or why?

Then there is the closed door hearings, and votes on subjects which are concealed from the people.

AMENDMENT XV
Passed by Congress February 26, 1869. Ratified February 3, 1870.

Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude--

AMENDMENT XIX
Passed by Congress June 4, 1919. Ratified August 18, 1920.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Where was the people vote? The above doesn't specifically say the vote for president, it means to vote in general. The people never got a vote or say in the patriot act, or any of the other actions that would affect them.

In fact, the right of the people to vote, where is states ina presidential manner is here:

AMENDMENT XXIV
Passed by Congress August 27, 1962. Ratified January 23, 1964.

Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay poll tax or other tax.

I'm not saying the freedoms of America are not more. What is obvious though is that those freedoms are being slowly modified and removed from the founders intentions.

Freedom in America is not about being able to have your fast food, starbucks or video games. It is about maintaining the original liberties unhindered and with out abridgment or change. They can't take away the confidence of the people by forcing upon us by their corrupt lobbying and corporate financiers.

Perhaps it is a degrading civic education which has caused the majority of people to accept, and not question what the government has done.

Perhaps it is a loss of interest in how it was meant for the ordinary citizen to run things by gathering and deliberating, then deciding what the elect should do as our representatives.

Perhaps it is true, "that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams

[edit on 10-12-2008 by ADVISOR]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Contrary to the naive perception held by most of the populace, democracy and freedom don't go hand in hand. In fact, it is arguable that the Democratic movement in the United States (which is identified mostly by social programs) actually goes against personal freedom. It is not uncommon for Democrats to try to micromanage and regulate every aspect of our lives.

The same however, can be said for the majority of Republicans. With a focus on defense and national security, they are also pursuing the limitation of personal freedoms via wiretaps, domestic intelligence operations, and questionable terrorist-stopping activities. Look no further than the Pier 57 Incident during the 2004 Republican National Convention.

The bipartisan efforts towards national security, domestic anti-terror surveillance, international trade organizations and routes, and burdensome social programs are nothing less than a quiet war against the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and undoubtedly represent a clear and immediate danger to America's quality of life and personal freedoms.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to restore the rights that were originally envisioned for us can only be found through complete regime change.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Another thing that might concern Americans are the changes in the UK. There are multiple cameras on every corner, and freedoms are being restricted on a daily basis. Quite possibly the future of America.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Finally finished reading, and as mentioned, I'll share some of the parts which I found to be of interest, or needed following up on.

These 8 quotes are from my notes.

The founders knew that life without freedom was not worth having. Freedom to think is followed by freedom to speak.
I analyzed in my last book, The End of America, what happens to a citizen psychologically when he or she is systematically lied to, controlled, intimidated, stripped of rights, and even physically threatened or incarcerated. People's adaptations to this kind of oppression snowball: the more scared you are, the more you silence yourself; then, the more the silencers are emboldened; then, the freer they feel to scare you; then, the scarier the methods they use become. And so on.
A psychological process goes in the opposite direction as well. The founders understood this. This process is just as powerful a force for good as the other process is for evil: the more freedom a citizen has, the more he or she believes in his or her capacity to take great risks and make great change; the more he or she see the results of these great risks, the more courage that citizen will show; the more courage that citizen shows, the more psychological space opens up in the heart and mind of that citizen and on those of his or her neighbors. Before there can be freedom to act, protest, or legislate, there must be freedom to think and then freedom to speak.

pg 91-92

"A dozen or so people in the room, we ended up with this document that was an updated version of the Declaration of Independence; we got it approved by the city attorney as a ballot measure. We needed ten thousand and some odd signatures to make it happen. It was quickly evident that we weren't going to get ten thousand signatures. But it was a great gesture.

"I transitioned from public access TV to the video blogging platform and started The Revolution Will Be Televised, my video blog. I became a journalist covering events, not a participant.

pg 96-97

It is easy for us to look at the diminishing of our common space to assemble and protest as a minor inconvenience; we are over committed and protesting doesn't sound like much fun anyway, and, hey, in the internet era, isn't it beside the point? Can't I do just as well staying safely in my study, clicking a mouse?
No, we cannot do just as well staying in our private rooms and going online; that is how private space becomes the isolation of citizens and in turn eventually becomes a comfortable personal cage. At times we must amass ourselves; this action is not expendable. Its benefit to us is not just stylistic or a matter of nostalgia. Mass disruptive protest is history's time honored tactic against the suppression of citizens rights; the assembling of citizens in defiance of wrongdoing also feeds a psychological space that we need to fill if we are to live truly as free men and women. amassing in the thousands helps us to grasp the power we have unleashed. It heartens us. Because the founders meant for you to be sovereign and to have your own nonviolent but disruptive army; and we are supposed to be your army.

pg 118-119

With enough conditioning of Americans to comply with ever-more-onerous permit requirements, fees, hurdles, and ever-more-sinister crowd-control technologies, the anti-citizen interests of the nation have put in place a system that lets the finally ignore Americans' speech rights altogether. These permit restrictions are escalating in severity even as citizens objections to them are weakening. You can also bet that Americans will, sooner or later, become too worn-out and frustrated- or simply too scared of being hurt-to demand these rights at all.

Our revolution must defeat such forces. We need powerfully to be able to take to the streets.

pg 122-123

The Revolutionary generation believed that "even the reins of state mayy be held by the sons of the poorest men, if possessed of abilities equal to the important station."
They wished to ensure that "all offices lie open to men of merit, of what ever rank or condition" and that a man's merit should "rest entirely within himself, without any regard to family, blood, or connection."
In 1806, Philadelphians sent to Congress "farmers...a blacksmith...a Butcher." In other words, the revolutionary idea that ordinary people were natural leaders and that the oppression of ordinary people was intolerable spread outward, gaining momentum and force.

pg 127

My students generally have not been taught that all that we cherish or even simply take for granted-that African-Americans work and live beside white Americans as fellow citizens rather than being held by them in bondage; that woman have the rights to vote and own property; aspects of our lives as basic as weekends, safe workplaces, food that won't kill us; that kids go to school rather than labor twelve hours a day in factories-all came about because of some handful of crazy idealists who simply did not accept that they were powerless to spark great change, who gathered in spite of opprobrium, every kind of ridicule, and every reason to believe that their vision of the future was pointless, even suicidal, dream.

pg 132

If twenty-four states have citizens' referenda-direct democracy-why not a limited national referendum system? Will Congress accept such an empowerment of the people of its own accord? Of course not; such a bill would break lobbyist, special interests, and incumbents hegemony. But if a massive grassroots movement shows that the vast majority of Americans support such a law? Our representatives would be hard-pressed to explain to us why they do not trust the people.
The moment such a law passed, we, the people, would be equal in power in some ways to the lobbyists and the donors. We would be able to sit at the table in direct deliberation with our representatives. This is not a radical revision of the system but rather a corrective, returning a system far distorted from its original, participatory blueprint, back in the direction of the people it was intended to serve.

pg 137-138

"A nation torn by injustice and violence, its streets patrolled by army units-if this is to be our country," wrote Robert Kennedy,"we can doubt how long others will look to us for leadership, or seek our participation in their common ventures. America was a great force in the world, with immense prestige, long before we became a great military power. That power has come to us and we cannot renounce it, but neither can we afford to forget that the real constructive force in the world comes not from bombs but from imaginative ideas, warm sympathies, and generous spirit. These qualities...of a people pursuing decency and human dignity in its own undertakings without arrogance or hostility or delusions of superiority toward others, a people whose ideals for others are firmly rooted in the society we have built for ourselves."

pg 203

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join