It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Goverment should give us the bailout money, in turn save everyone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Reread my post, thats what I said,

1,000,000.00 = one million

1000 X 1,000,000.00 = one billion or 1,000,000,000.00

1,000,000,000.00 - 260,000,000.00 = 740,000,000.00

looks like the 260,000,00 is less than one billion!

Zindo

[edit on 11/28/2008 by ZindoDoone]

Come on now just use a calculator.... 260,000,000 x 1,000,000 is

Your own post shows

1000 X 1,000,000.00 = one billion or 1,000,000,000.00

One Thousand times one million equals a billion

[edit on 28-11-2008 by ATruGod]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Hey I'm just using tha same math our government uses!! Why you yellin' at me???

Zindo

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by ATruGod

Hey I'm just using tha same math our government uses!! Why you yellin' at me???

Zindo

HAHAHAHA ok you got me...sorry.

I should know I live in Cali where lots of people cant even use the governments method to add.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
scary math on this post

"260 million people .....give each a million and that = 260 billion " ?????????

anyhow the gov't is not excited in doing the best thing for the people .........gov't never really have been in that business. throughout history (in fraction reserve banking society's ) when the debt overhand becomes to heavy to service anymore (due to umeployment....reckless loans....extremely high intrest rates, time ect) some gov'ts end up having a "DEBT JUBILEE" that is the govt's are left with the decison of supporting the creditors and letting the greater public turn into debt slaves...or they forgive a large portion of the public debt (jubilee) ..........one of the downfalls in ROMAN CIVILIZATION was that they sided with the creditors............but these tidbits are left clean out of most history books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it is more comforting to most to just believe what ever perspectives you hear on the MSM corporate marketing financial networks.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Actually, there were times last century when that math would have made sense.

In modern English, 1000 million = billion. It wasn't always so.

There used to be what was called 'long scale' numbers. With these terms (which are still used in some non-English languages), a billion was a 'million-million', and trillion was a 'million-billion'. In modern 'short scale' numbers, a billion is a 'thousand-million', and a trillion is a 'thousand-billion'.

Personally, I prefer to think of big dollar numbers using SI symbols, eg: kilobucks, megabucks, gigabucks, and terabucks, instead of thousands, millions, billions, and trillions. It just makes more logical sense to me, and I'm used to the 10^(3*n) math.

Here's an interesting Wikipedia article on the history of long scale vs short scale numbers:
en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: oops, typo!

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
$85 billion = $85,000,000,000.00

A little info on our base 10 numerical system for everyone:

1= one
10= ten
100=one hundred
1,000= one thousand =one thousand * one
10,000= ten thousand
1,000,000= one million = one thousand *(multiply) one thousand
10,000,000 = ten million
100,000,000= one hundred million
1,000,000,000= one billion = one million * one thousand
10,000,000,000=10 billion
(85,000,000,000= 85 billion)
100,000,000,000= one hundred billion
1,000,000,000,000= one trillion = one thousand * one billion

Yes I know it is useless information to most but I also know that there are some who do not understand how the decimal system works.

now for some math

$85 billion/260 million

since we are all on some kind of computer, please run your calculator program because I am not going to teach math online because it is hard enough to teach in person. It astounds me how many people (including many with college degrees so it is not an intelligence problem) suck at basic and intermediate math.

example for windows users= start/all programs/accessories/calculator If you have Excel or a spreadsheet program, that would be even better.

enter 85,000,000,000. there are no commas in the Windows calculator so count your zeros. One billion (see above) is 1 followed by 9 zeros (I should say digits but zeros are easier to understand with rounded numbers) therefore 85 billion would be 85 followed by 9 zeros = 85,000,000,000

press the divide button which looks like a "/"

enter 260,000,000 since our number of people over 18 is supposedly 260 million. For redundancies sake one million is 1 followed by 6 zeros (see above) therefore 260 million is 260 followed by 6 zeros

The number we get is $326.92 for each person.

I am sorry if I sound as if I am insulting the intelligence of the readers but I don't claim to be any more intelligent ( I do and say dumb things like anyone else) than any of you people, even those that I disagree with, it is just that from my personal experience, with this topic as a prime example, that math is severely lacking in this society and that fact is certainly reflected on our political and financial leaders who have been running our economy into the ground.

As for the bailouts, I believe they are going to be more than 4.6 trillion. www.voltagecreative.com... lout-pie.png. There is even some talk it will be around the neighborhood of 7 trillion. That is 7 followed by 12 zeros. This is the standard bailout money that is directly taxpayer funded plus the money that the Fed is dishing out. $7,000,000,000,000

$4.6 trillion divided by 260 million people =$17,692.31 for each person.

I don't know but I think that 17 grand in the hands of the population would spur the economy much more than giving trillions to the same buffoons that screwed the economy in the first place. People would either pay off their bills which helps the credit markets, save and provide deposits to back up bank loans, or spend which would drive the economy forward.

All the banks would do is hold on to that money just in case they needed it to back up their ratings in case the insurance on bad loans collapses. Insurers would just use it to make sure that their policies can keep going and therefore protect bank ratings. None of it would spur the economy nor free up credit except AIG executives taking vacations in posh resorts.

Now if the bailouts go to $7 trillion =$7,000,000,000,000
$7 trillion / 260 million people = $26,923.08 per person

What would boost the economy more? $27 grand in your hands to pay off bills, pad your savings, or spend on whatever or trillions going to bankers so they can keep their jobs and prop up the same system that has already proved itself prone to collapse? Are the bankers gonna lend that money?

I would rather have that money in society's hands as cold hard cash rather than have it go through the system and come out as cold hard debt + inflation because even if the credit markets start lending the bailout money we will have to pay it back.

The politicians take OUR money, GIVE it to the banks, so they can LEND it to us, and we have to PAY back to the banks plus INTEREST what we originally GAVE them. Why there aren't people rioting in the streets or engaging in civil disobedience over this is perplexing.

By the way, if people put that kind of money into their checking or savings accounts, the bankers wouldn't need to worry as much about the loan insurance collapsing and lower ratings requiring them to show cash deposits because they would have some kind of deposit to back up themselves up.

To end this, if any of my math above is incorrect, please say so, I sucked in high school and college algebra because I always make stupid mistakes.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by wutone]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

It's funny how people think that if they just had more money they would relax and work less. In 8 years I have gone from making 17k a year to over 100k. sadly most people (myself included) just find more ways to spend the money. I go on better vacations then I did before but I have less free time and probably more stress. Instead of a a crappy apartment I have a huge house ( stupid me again
).

My point is the average person will just be dumb with the money and it wont last long and will probably get them in more debt.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Link didn't work

This topic is good enough www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here's a Conspiracy Theory:

Keep tossing out various huge numbers and questionable math, and get everyone arguing about details until the average person is so numb from all the minutia that they miss the basic fact:

It ain't about "helping the economy"

It's a coordinated economic attack with three goals:
1. Roughly maintain current consumer prices while undercutting commodity costs (piecemeal deflation)
2. Reduce excess accumulated wealth in lower to middle class (401K profit bleed)
3. Establish the basis for future inflation while readjusting relative world currency valuations

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Apparently, I'm too stupid as an average American taxpayer to spend the money wisely enough so the government is doing this for me.

A stimulus program of the scale mentioned would only cause inflation to rise. It would be a short term gain with long term bad results.

The easiest fix for this entire problem is also the hardest as no one wants to admit it. Let the system fail and then rebuild a new one with the money we are currently wasting. Use this money to start the new system. But then, I'm too stupid to spend any money wisely.

That is exactly what they want, they want this system to fail. They have been planning this failure for quite some time.

But just wait 'till we're all using Ameros....

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I just want to point out that when this bail out for the banks occur the government will own shares of the bank, and in the future when and if this financial crises ver gets over.... the shares might be worth more than they are today and the government could sell those shares and make a "profit" for the general taxpayer.... which would probablyget wasted on things like defence, etc.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Part of the problem with how we got "here" and how to get out is that

money did not get put to the best use in order to pay dividends in the future

we should be investing in infrastructure projects and things that will create jobs for our future.

the gov't should not just give joe blow 5,000$ if he is just going to spend it on flat screen tv's and the like , perhaps only if they are paying down debt and buying basic's i.e food, gas would it actually be beneficial to society as a whole.

In case we haven't noticed we don't exactly have a "healthy" sustainable job market in the country when the service sector makes us the majority of employment. The world is set up in a way that foreign country's lend to us and our consumers prop up the foreigners export markets thru ruthless consumption thanks to mind control marketing and social pressures designed to get us to think we need to spend. In turn our economy is very fragile to consumer pullback's in disposable income as well as future expectation of prices and disposable income. And in turn the world economy is very fragile to U.S consumer pullback's. The transition will not be pretty, unless (they try to save the current model) and to do that, they just may have to decide to forgive joe 6 pack's debt, instead they will probably devalue the currency in the next 1-4 years and the only protection for that is to buy GOLD and stay employed.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
FYI very simple math is 260,000,000 million people times
$1,000,000.00=
$260,000,000,000,000.00 which is 260 Trillion dollars.

Twelve 0"s after a number is a Trillion / So your example of Quad trillion has 15 0's

Now our current 2 trillion would give 260,000,000 people about $9,800.00 thanks Hogan

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join