It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolling for points.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
How to make points the wrong way.
After a short 3 week stint on ATS I have come to a few conclusions.

1. Not many people here really want your opinion.
Many is a relative term. A few hundred will probably read what you've written, most will read the first line and go to the next post. If you've written something really good or at least extreme you might get a star or a scathing reply informing you of what a loser you are. Most of these people don't care if this hurts feelings or offends. They are counting on it. These are folks I like to call the Point Trolls -PTs

2. Your post or thread has been done before unless it is breaking news.
I did searches on this thread before I started it but I'd bet cash it is redundant. I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the really successful posters look up old threads that got lots of points and just rewrite them with a more updated spin ...........or just a new date. Oh yes, I suspect the PTs are good at that. I have no proof but it is a conspiracy site.

3. Fastest way to make points is to p!$$ people off.
This video link will give a few basics applicable to any forum site.

tw.youtube.com...

I don't recommend you do it but if you are Jonesing for points it seems to be the most effective option and what I recommend won't matter. Most of you won't listen past the first line. You'd better if you know what's good for you. I know more than you so don't bother thinking. Just do what I say.
(See, you got that little emotional "How dare he?" thing going on.)
It works. It's just underhanded and cheap. All of the good PTs do it.

4.You MUST have an avatar that shows that you are edgy and offensive but sexy/cool/hardcore/desireable/inscrutable. Being offensive is extremely important here. Put borderline rule breaking imagery in there that the moderators will let slide. Hopefully you can find one that at least 2 other members have and then make it bigger and cooler. That adds envy and righteous indignation. If you can portray yourself as a religious figure or deride somebodys religion/politics /culture then you are on the way to being a top shelf PT.
Oh yeah, add a signature that makes people want to track you down and run you over with a garbage truck. That gets you stars no matter what you actually post.

Summary:
Hit those hot buttons and belittle the competition. Let them know that you are omnipotent and ultra smart. You've got the inside track,all of the answers, and the only REAL opinions. The rest are wasting time and bandwidth. Losers.
(OK. All of the stuff above was sarcasm. No I really don't encourage that behavior. I was attempting to make a point with reverse psychology.)

OK, maybe theres a better way.
Seriously?
What are you? Amish? (Yes, more sarcasm.)

A better way? You really want to know? Boy scout stuff here. Nice guy, be friendly, get along stuff.....? Can you stomach not being on the ragged cutting edge of offensiveness and rampant detatched coolness? Will you be able to live with yourself if you aren't the ultimate iconoclast?
OK but it is pretty mundane. You might be too important to pull it off.

Here goes - Be serious but not too serious. There are a lot of intelligent, thoughtful people here. A lot of them are very funny as well. Look for them. Correspond with them and think before you type. If you have the burning desire to start a post with 4 letter words then that's probably what they want you to do. Don't play somebody elses game.
If you want to start a thread, search first and then do some research. Write on things you know or are really interested in. You might not get huge points but you will find others who you can identify with because you share interests. Some of them might even learn something from what you wrote. It will be a better experience in the long run.
Oh yeah, be polite, be sarcastic, be honest but have some class. It goes a long way.

Aaaand ... take all advice with a grain of salt - especially mine - I'm just a new guy with another opinion. (And apparently a bad attitude to boot. One of my friends from this site just told me to be nice in the nicest of ways so I did a bit more editing. You were right. Thanks SD)
It's not so bad. Usually I'm pretty positive. Sometimes ya just gotta rant.
Avoid the PTs. Have fun.
Badgerprints

[edit on 28-11-2008 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wow.. lol you got it exactly right mostly. There's a few good people on here that genuinely care about what people have to say, but not a lot. Pretty good observations

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Points were never a big deal to me and I don't understand the point whoring deal. (Who Cares!?!) I usually try to treat others with the respect that I'd want and I try not to feed the trolls. We've got some folks that are a bit out there (aren't we all in our own little way?) but we have our fair share of MENSA members as well. I'd put this brain trust up against any others found online in a heartbeat. I'm Sure many users have never fully read the T&C and may get a bit overboard but for the most part I think we do a decent job of policing ourselves and when boundries are overstepped the Mods usually make short work of it. I say sometimes you can't take things too serious... just grab your jiffy pop , sit back and enjoy the show

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I don't know what happened. Two guys in black suits came to my front door and I saw this flash. Next thing I know I've got this grouchy thread about PTs. I'm pretty sure they replaced my cat with an exact replica as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

badgerprints - you appear to be doing OK with your points! 24 days and nearly 4 thousands of them! WTG Man!

You haven't been trolling by any chance have ya?

[JOKE]

IRM

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Can't really claim those.
2500 were applause. Had one good thread about reading books that garnered a few.
Not really about the points. Just saw a bunch of threads that I found offensive and disgusting and they seem to be the ones that pull big points.
I should have just ignored them but you know how it is when that keyboard bug gets you.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Points don't really mean much to me. I think there are a lot of good people out there on here that will respond to your topics if you make an attempt to have a thoughtful discussion with them.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I should have just ignored them but you know how it is when that keyboard bug gets you.

If by 'keyboard bug', you mean 'poison pen syndrome'... um yes I do know what you mean!

Which is a cross between this ---> :bnghd:

... and consequently this --->

IRM

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Yes, who cares about points?

*mumbles to self: "points are spice, I need, I need"*

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

And Badgerprints gets a hand smack from Schrodingers dog.

No points for you!

Seriously SD. If you can smell the cat is it still in the box?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

All the answers you seek can be found here!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
You can only do so much with points...........Some of the best post I've seen have been given by the little guy with a hand full of points.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I agree. Why would anyone care about points?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hey, uh ...well....you know.....it's just that......
OKOKOK FINE!
I like the points. Wantemneedem gottahavethaPOINTs!
I think about them night and day, day and night. Points-Points-Points-Points. Dammit man don't you get it? I've, GOT TO - MISTER!
Oh yes ppppppoints. My Mamma said MMM my momma said Points is the Devil. I dont care though. Vickie valencourt showed me her points and I like those too.
Yessss Pointsesss. How many pointss hass the filthy fobbit got in itss profilesss?
But I'll show em. Yesss! You'll see I'll stay on this site till hell freezes over starting thread after thread about Roswell and the green jello connection. You'll see. You'll all see. You and your little dog too.
After I've been here ten, twenty thirty years and started 20 threads a week, I'll have the upper hand then. I'll use my points to get onto Rats and I'll bring that cat with me and set it loose on the little ratsses. I'll have more points than the totem can handle. They'll have to add scientific notation with three digit exponentials! I'll change background color,font and letter color three times a week. I'll set up a whole garrison of fifth column ATS/BTS cohorts that will worship my point score and we'll form a points cult. They will donate their points to me and I will allot them each a generic avatar taken from a cereal box. I will name my acolytes myself. They'll be named after the seven dwarves, the chipmunks all three stooges plus Shemp and the entire cast of the facts of life. They will star and flag my threads on a constant basis and I will deride my detractors with impunity. It's all up here in my head. The plan. The point plan. I cannot be stopped. As god is my witness, I'll never be pointless again!

Hmm.... Well, yes. Sorry bout that. A bit tired is you know.
Just ignore that last. Pay no mind. Bit twitchy is all.

If you'll excuse me ............
Word search:
Jello?
Green?
Roswell?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Call me thick(no dont even dare lol),but whats the points all about anyway,
is there some sort of prize for the highest points tally when the apocolypse
comes.
I have been a member for only 6 months or so but have visited this site for a good two years before i joined,i dont have very many points at all,but i do see people here and see the points under their names and think that they must spend an awful lot of time here posting.
I have always come here and read the threads that are interesting to me,and some not so interesting,but i rarely post a reply(as you can see from my points),so the points issue is not a big thing for me but the OP is right,there are some people here that post just for the points.
Erm how many points do i get for this post...lol

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Now thats a pretty good theory Badger and good thread, I think along the same lines as you but to be honest Im here to smile and maybe learn a little because I have come across some really intelligent members and even made a few friends, I dont go to ATS much anymore because of the constant ingorant members who refuse to debate like adults so they try to derail their own threads or the thread they post in and in the end it boils down to either the U S sucks or Obama is an alien or now this Mumbai tragedy, Nobody wants to debate, all they want to do is act like idiots and derail each other and never get the answers they are seeking. So suffice to say most of my time is spent here on BTS..

Im not here for points but I so agree about how rude most have become on ATS and the one liners are way out of control and to me it seems like many of the newly minted members are one liner kings, There is a new member here on BTS that is a one liner king and its funny because nobody responds to his posts because hes a moron and makes jokes about everything. I like to see the integrity of the site remain and I like to provide knowledge to topics I am up to speed on..If your not familiar with a topic dont post and get drawn into a battle and end up looking like a fool because thats whats happening..Im happy right here on BTS enjoying the threads and posting threads that mostly all contribute in a postive manner....I gave you a star for your thread

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

It is kind of the nature of internet forums. If it weren't points, it would be post counts. Every forum I have ever been a part of has had the "Point Troll" type of personality. If you can accumulate something on the forum, there will be people out there trying to make their number larger than the next guys.

I think that the political season really brought the cockroaches out and they were able to post many inflammatory threads to "point troll". Now that it is behind us I don't think you will see as much of it happening. Yeah, there will still be the occasional PT'er out there that will slam religions or something else to get under peoples skin but that really won't garner them that many points. They will either get banned or ignored. I can't think of too many members that have huge point totals that were based off of trolling. Well, schrodingers dog maybe.... j/k

It seems that the members here that have huge point numbers are really just active members.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

Thanks WS
I look at the post now and think. "Man, did I wake up on the wrong side of my cave."
Wish I hadn't posted it now because for the most part it doesn't make sense to worry about this stuff and It made me look like a moody grouch.
Maybe I was grouchy because I didn't ge any turkey this year. A good dose of tryptophan would have calmed me right down.
Cheers buddy.

top topics

join