It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism has little to do with the Color of your Skin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hey all, Voxels post was fascinating and I know I have witnessed the same phenomenon myself.

Of my 5 best friends, 2 are asian (1 japanese, one chinese) and the other 3 are white like myself.

Living in BC, Canada, we have a very multi-cultural society where asians, indians, aboriginals and every other line of foreigner are encountered everyday.

The extent of my racism is when I see an asian lady driving terribly and it's upsetting haha. But on the whole, I practically see everyone as the same as I. Sure, some cultures are inherently terrible at mixing with western society, but most try hard to fit in.

Growing up, asian friends had fresh immigrated parents, but they tried hard to learn and use as much english as possible asking for me to correct them on the names of house-hold items. They truly wanted to fit in which I appreciated.

My only problem with the whole debate, and the issue which appears to be bigger in the states, is affirmative action. Where as minorities are given extra opportunity at school and work positions for no other reason than they are not white.

Now, if there is going to be an anti-racism movement demanding "Equality" shouldn't that be what is given? And not an extra-leg up? Why, if we shall be equals, should minorities be given these extra privileges? If I have the exact same qualifications as a minority while applying for a school or job, why should they get it thanks to affirmative action? The real issue with this is in jobs where your life is at risk, having a minority that only got the job over another person because of affirmative action, and he is now tasked with the job of potentially saving your life.

Don't get me wrong, from the immigrants I see here daily, there are no harder workers. They will do any job, with meager pay, and the jobs are those which most wouldn't want anyways. So it is not a lack of work-ethic or ability that is the issue. The only issue is affirmative action giving them preferential treatment when in reality, opportunity should be equal.

If this trend does not end, then resentment among white anglos will only grow, fueling a problem that doesnt need to exist in the scope that it already does. Soon, the only people suffering from racism will be the white man.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by king9072]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I personally think there is a cowardly underhanded Racism toward the White's where the proponent knows ( taught at very young age ) that if you blame the whiteman for all your ills he can be shamed into giving you something that others are not privvy to as a kind of "Guilt Bribe" even though the alleged crime was 3-4 generations old.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by mazzroth]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join