It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

underground tunnels and military facilities in Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Rumours of underground tunnels and military facilities in Australia

Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper reported on November 3, 2002 that Melbourne could be sitting on a network of military tunnels, part of a system stretching to Townsville.

But it's what they contain that is exciting researchers, Chris Tinkler wrote.

A similar report appeared in the same paper on June 22, 2001, suggesting the existence of tunnels and nuclear safe-havens below Canberra.

Sealed beneath a car-park in Canberra's parliamentary circle lies an abandoned relic of the Cold War.

For more than twenty years a vast network of tunnels and rooms served as a secure communications centre for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and ASIS, Australia's overseas spying centre.

Once a hive of activity humming with cable traffic from diplomatic posts around the world the complex now stands dark and empty.

Rumors about it , and tunnels linking it to old Parliament House and Lake Burley Griffen have long existed in Canberrean folklore.

The steel sheathed bomb-proof bunker is open to the public.

The tunnels were built in the early 1950's to link old Parliament House, which offered next to no protection from a nuclear bomb, to the safer communications centre.

Parliamentarians would take refuge there during an attack before making their exit near Lake Burley Griffen. DFAT and ASIS moved out in 1996.

The underground office complex was furnished in 1970's decor and fitted out with the help of psychologists to combat sensory deprivation.

www.gpgwebdesign.com.au...

posted on Jan, 31 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Most interesting information....Have copied and will research as to what ever so slightly unofficial motives the Australian government had when constructing these tunnels. Thanks quaneeri!

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
conspirator3

Your welcome.

If you find anything please post.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hey people. Sorry to dredge up an old post, but if this claim of tunnels underneath Melbourne happens to be true, I would be very intrested.

You see, I have been in Melbourne's underground. Have a look at my avatar, and then go to caveclan.org. I have never seen evidence of old wartime tunnels, but underground systems, because of their nature and location, have a tendency to be very separate. There are doors down there, locked and rusted up, that could lead to anything.

So, if anyone knows anything about Melbs underground locations, I would be very interested.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Look here
home.st.net.au...
i live in townsville and my brother and sister are in the army based at Lavarack barracks at the bottom of Mt Stewart, They seem pretty convinced that there is a VERY large installation inside this mountain. Townsville along with Melbourne and especially Canberra are very secretive
with hundreds of rumors and proof of tunnels/installations.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
definately tunnels under canberra, there is a way in near lake burley griffin on the nth western side i think. found an entrance/exit many years ago (such a long time ago 20 yrs) with some mates late one night. We went in a short way but we had been drinking and it was pretty spooky so didnt go any further. Later one of the guys we were with went back and went further in but he said it ended at a large steel door, locked of course.

M4S

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Be easy.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
how do you add a picture on here?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It's possible that that entrance is to the rooms above the tunnel near ANU? It begins with a concrete staircase and finishes with a large metal door. It's in Acton.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Hey people. Sorry to dredge up an old post, but if this claim of tunnels underneath Melbourne happens to be true, I would be very intrested.

Hey, mate. At a party well over a year ago, after a couple of drinks, I was talking to a friend of a friend. His friend told him years ago about 'all the underground military bases' around Melbourne.

I am first to admit that it is not the most reliable source of information. However, he was convinced that there were some large military tunnel systems, that trucks could easily drive in, around Highpoint Shopping Centre area, Avondale Heights, Maribyrnong, etc... Considering that the Commonwealth Government, Department of Defence owns the Explosive Factory on Page 27 of the Melways, there may be some truth to the rumor???

Check it out and let us know. If I had the time, I'd join you for a snoop. The most I see of the land is when I drive to Highpoint with the wife and kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have heard of these tunnels in melbourn. I read about it in a Chris Ryan book. Anyway, there was an underground town... (maybe fictional) , and a military testing area. It was a fictional book, but Chris Ryans a clever man, and he probably based it on real facts, he may have had inside info from the government when he was in the SAS. I dunno, just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Jownathown, you read in Chris Ryan's NOVEL that there are underground tunnels in melbourne. Did you know that his 1st any only book that wasn't novel has been totally discredited. That he is a BRITISH SAS soldier and not australia. WTF would british SAS know about melbourne tunnels.

Next thing you'll be telling us about Deception Point from Dan Brown is real.

Wake up mate, it's in the fiction section for a reason.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'll give you two and two and see if you can make four.

The only people in Australia that can dig tunnels are the mining companies. So if they want to make secret tunnels or underground bases they have to give security clearances or pay off all the mining people involved.

Then they have to actually do the work, that involes massive amouts of machinery let alone the one simple factor....DIRT.... if there were massive underground military bases and tunnels everywhere, where did all the dirt go?

Wouldn't it show up on google earth? Think about the cost, time and equipment required to do some of the stuff people are talking about on here.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeaussie
Then they have to actually do the work, that involes massive amouts of machinery let alone the one simple factor....DIRT.... if there were massive underground military bases and tunnels everywhere, where did all the dirt go?

The dirt could go into tip trucks. The tip trucks could drive to landfill sites and dump the dirt - is that too easy for you?

Of all things it would take to build an underground complex, I doubt that the removal and subsequent displacement of dirt would be the most pressing issue to overcome.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don’t think they are rumours of tunnels. They are facts.

A lot of Australian cities are riddled with tunnels. Sydney has a massive tunnel system. It’s almost like a honeycomb. I have been through a lot of the tunnel systems in Sydney. There is a great one that starts at Manly head if anyone is interested. And a very easy accessible tunnel system above Balmoral Beach, which is quite well preserved.

I’m living in Newcastle now. There is also a huge tunnel system that spans across most of the city. The obvious entry point is at Fort Scratchley.

I can give you some tips if you want to have a look.

The point is there are tunnels everywhere, and most people know about them. They were built during both world wars for storage and bunkers. I don’t think there is any conspiracy in it.

I think you’ll find many cities that live on the coast have them.

The tunnel system you need to worry about is the ones underneath Geraldton in Western Australia, the US/Australian joint military facility.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ok i was just reading this topic, and had to register to put my 2 cents in. It is very possible for Aust to have underground tunnels bases etc, one example is 30km south east of Alice Springs is a underground US base called Joint Defence Facility Pine Gap. Do some digging into Pine Gap and it will blow your mind.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
OK, yes, there are massive tunnel systems, some of them going back to the nineteenth century. Cave clan types like that sort of synthetic spelunking, good luck to them.

Many of the installations are intert but not unmanned, still prowled and patrolled. It is an offence to enter them, or remain there if you enter. They are military. And about as exciting as watching paint dry for the most part. Unless you like collecting 1940s memorabilia I guess. There is a nuclear research one from the 50s locked up since the 60s in Melbourne, and a ton more. But really, other than the cool factor, you will look in vain for parked UFOs etc.

Although a mate did claim he saw a Yowie in one.

The Canberra ones are massive, a whole web of hollow concrete that radiates out... but not from where you might expect. There are also some Blue Mountain train stations that connect directly to the system.

It's interesting... but ultimately... where does it take us?

I guess the mystery for people out of the loop is a big part of the appeal.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
i used to live in adelaide, sa and heard rumours that there was a tunnel from the elizabeth holden factory to the raaf air base in virgina ready to pump out armoured vehciles when needed.. dunno if its true though

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
g'day all,

Ive been looking into this for a while now and always try and find more info on it whenever I can.

This topic was first brought to my attention close to 4 or 5 years ago while listening to John Faine's morning radio show on 774ABC melbourne.

He had a guest who was doing an investigation into the rumour of vast military complex underneath melbourne. His got stuck on to the story when he bumped into someone who's father confessed to the secret on his deathbed that he was involved in constructing these complexes many decades earlier and that they had all been sworn to secrecy of their involvement. This investigator was hoping his mentioning of this on radio might trigger a memory in someone listening to out what information they had.

Funnily enough the bloke was cut off after the next add and they didnt even mention him anymore or take any calls from listeners.

anyway, in my time looking into this, I have found (thou i dont have any documention, thou it may be worth looking into), that these complexes were begun straight after world war one....supposedly the world powers knew that there would be a second world war soon and were feverously constructing and preparing for "the great War".

The government constucted these bases from townsvillle to melbourne with the military plan of "giving" away Northern part of australia in an imaginary line across the continent through Brisbane, in the event of an invasion from the north. They thought this is how far they (the invaders) could get before they suffer supply route issues and allies come to Australias defence.

In the event this wasn't succesful they were to cut back to a line through Sydney (were some of the tunnels and comlexes were found whilst constucting the underground railway), and in tern, a worst case scenario was to be a last stand at Melbourne.

The Melbourne complex is supposedly extremely large, part of it includes a smaller(thou still pretty large bunker underneath the spencer street staion, and one other elswhere).

This major bunker supposedly housed a massive amount of ammunition, weapons, ordinance, tanks, trucks, uniforms, all sort of supplies.

It had about 5 tunnels running away from it upto 15km into the bushland (of which is now suburbia) and after the war, they sealed all the entrances to the tunnels with concrete 7 metres into the tunnels to stop anybody ever snooping or getting into them.

One I remember being mentioned was near Koroit Creek in Sunshine or Ardeer or thereabouts, which I beleive someone once found thou it is very overgrown. and one in the northern suburbs somewhere.

Another major reason for this investigator finding this bunker complex was for safety reasons......the explosives must be past their use by date and he mentioned someone inside the government had mentioned this to him to try and find it so that government officials can get this stuff out before suburbs start blowing up underneath and the federal government will be in all sorts of # after that.

One other rumour was a bunker underneath Avalon airfield and a tunnel connecting this airfield with the one in Melbourne.

There is also a private organisation that I had been in contact with that was exploring these old bunker complexes in consultation with government officials, but whether they found any of the big ones of mentioned them on their website is anybody's guess.

Heres a bunker entrance at Northcote in Northern Melbourne-
www.ozatwar.com...

A team in Melbourne led by Mark Rawson is excavating a tunnel at Northcote in Merri Creek which was used by the military during WW2. The tunnel was sealed and filled in after the war with dirt and rock. During WW2 a sentry was posted on the Merri Creek entrance to the tunnel.

It has been reported that there was apparently a boat moored near Swanston Street on the Yarra River during WW2, and in the event of an air raid, the occupants of the War Room at Victoria Barracks would be whisked away up the Yarra to a large bunker at Dights Falls at Abbotsford. This is not far from the Merri Creek tunnel. Could there be some connection between the two locations?

By late November the team were 165 feet in from the entrance of the tunnel. So far all they have found is lots and lots of dirt and rocks! The project team have installed extensive timber-shoring inside the tunnel. By early December 2002 they believed that they were close, only a matter of 6 to 12 feet from finding something interesting. They believe they have also now found the entrance to the right hand tunnel. It is also packed with rock.

There was some suggestion of the main tunnel doors being in nearby Short Street.

Also this-
www.ozatwar.com...

There are reports that there used to be a large underground "bunker" near Dights Falls at Abbotsford, in Melbourne, Victoria. It is believed that this large underground "bunker" was an old WW2 air raid shelter. It is estimated that it could hold a few thousand people.

It is reported that there was apparently a boat moored near Swanston Street on the Yarra River during WW2, and in the event of an air raid, the occupants of the War Room at Victoria Barracks would be whisked away up the Yarra to this "bunker".

It is reported to be similar to the underground "bunker" under Spencer Street Railway Station in the Melbourne CBD.

If I find anything more I'll post it up here as this interests me and I would love to be involved in an exploration team to find these entrances, particular the Koroit Creek one as its near my home.

I hoped this has helped you out abit, I understand abit of it is 'heresay' but with these sort of things and because of the long timelines involved thats the best we can do with at times and it may be worth chasing up some rumours.

Have a happy new year ATS'ers

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeaussie

Wouldn't it show up on google earth? Think about the cost, time and equipment required to do some of the stuff people are talking about on here.

Ok you may not have noticed but there are tunnels all over the world. The NYC subway system for example. Where did all the dirt go? I cant find it on google earth
there must be more to it
Ever been on the trains in Melbourne I think Southern Cross station is in a tunnel WHAT ABOUT THE DIRT!!!

Also as for google earth down the mornington Peninsuela is a town calle Mt. Martha they have recently dug outa sereies of artifical rivers for a housing development and have moved the dirt across the road and are compacting it down. In 10 years youd never know the dirt was moved from somewhere else.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join