It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southland Tales. 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I just got finished watching "Southland Tales", i'm not sure if I liked it or not.
It was Written and Directed by Richard Kelly, the man who wrote and directed the mind warping "Donnie Darko".
Kinda like Darko, this movie has some interesting Philosophy in it.
It spans a few day's in the lives of many character's and they're destinies, which cross paths throughout the movie in many ways.

There are quite a few (let's say odd) choices of actors to play the characters, eg. "Sean William Scott", "Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson", "Justin Timberlake", "Mandy Moore" and "Sarah Michelle Gellar" Just to name a few (The bigger names in the Movie, but there are so many more to recognise).
They all play their characters well enough, even the man that smells your cooking.

There is also a very Unusual role played by "Kevin Smith" (Writer/Director of Jay and Silent Bob Movies). (You will need to use your ears because he unrecognisable).

The movie seems to take place in a Post 9/11, Highly anti-terrorist, future America.

There are some pretty ATS worthy topics in the movie such as Government conspiracies, Teleportation and the Space time continuum.

I say I don't know if I like it because it hasn't had an impact on me like Donnie Darko did the first time I watched it, I guess I will have to give this another watch, It's a rather strange story to keep up with everything.
Maybe I will come back with a better opinian.
You can definalty notice a Darko-esque filming style and a good soundtrack as equaly eerie as Darko's.

www.imdb.com...

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Chukkles]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Unrelated:
There is a sequal to Donni Darko coming out,
Called: S. Darko.
www.imdb.com...

Could be interesting.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Southland Tales is definately a mess of a movie yet for some reason I loved it. It pretty much is a sequel to Donnie Darko in that it seems to be the road not taken had Donnie not destroyed the tangent Universe.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

I was a little confused when I watched it, and I started a thread about this awhile ago. I really enjoyed it, even being as complicated as it was. I loved the Rocks character, he was hilarious. Great movie imo. Alot of people hated it.

Iam a pimp, and pimps don't commit suicide.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by schism85]

top topics

join