It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you vote for the wrong reasons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I mentioned it in Grover's thread about how everyone seems to bicker at those who they believe are exercising their right to vote, but are voting for all the wrong reasons Ex: candidate is more humorous, or candidate is my religion, is white, black, male, female, well spoken, a veteran, older, just my style?

everyone actually falls in a category of bias between their subconscious reasons that they are or aren't aware of. Some say, "look at the issues and how each candidate approaches them", not just the candidate. But candidate's character is an obvious influence that doesn't go unnoticed.

In the end we have the right to vote for what ever reason we want, but isn't it just ignorant when someone votes based off of the most ridiculous of reasons like, "the candidate and I have the same favorite football team."

my final thought though - who cares?

[edit on 4-11-2008 by juveous]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Different people have different priorities and I think it is wrong for us to judge what an individual makes their choices on. If my mom wants to vote for a candidate because she thinks they have better hair, that is her choice. That is her criteria. I can only shake my head in disbelief, but it is HER right to make HER choice on what criteria she believes in.

What you think is silly and irrelevant may be very important to another individual. It is not our place to decide. If that is their criteria for choosing our next leader, so be it. The important thing is they are making their choice.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

It's definitely no ones business but the guy or gal in the booth, but privacy of who you're voting for is a fad that is very hard to find among people. I love the times that I ask someone "who are you voting for"? and they give me an honest "none of your business", I just don't hear it enough. it pretty much bypasses many of the subjective arguments of why you are voting.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yes, a person can set any criteria they want to set - that is how war is justified.
My god is better than yours, BOOM! My skin is lighter than yours, BOOM! My hair is thicker, my eyes are precisely perfect based on the formula of scientist X, and I speak my language better than you can, BOOM!

So, you see, the reason why people would prefer for folks to vote based on factual (relative OFC) data is that judging based on looks is toxic to the well being of the person who is concerned (in their opinion, of course). Some people think that arbitrary thinking is a toxic method. Some people...

That's my cow patty ("two cents").

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarSeaman

It always goes back to who's place it is to judge. And its none of ours, its only frustrating to the ones who feel that their concern of something important to them, ends up getting belittled by the ones who do it for what appears.... less competent reasons.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It's your choice and it happens every day in every situation. Against cause of some reason, for cause of some reason. It's just that most are embarassed about their reasons. Nothing wrong with it just don't be affraid to stand by your choice. If someone can change your mind w/out force or intimidation, fine, but stand your ground unless something elightens you but, don't gloat, it's pathetic, stupid and immature.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Hendu]

new topics

top topics

join