It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Roadsign UK- I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
In an administrative error in Wales, in the UK a Road sign was created and put in place that reads, in the English translation as:

"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated"

BBC

Whilst this is funny in my opinion, and the was the result of an automated e-mail Error, in some parts of Wales which are still very Nationalistic this will be taken very seriously.

As the British Government ruling Wales and Scotland and N.Ireland from London is often described as being stupid, the fact that Welsh is probably the oldest language in the world will leave many upset that this has happened, and a welsh speaker was not consulted before being put up.

There are many upset too in Wales that the English version is always placed as in the picture above the Welsh wording, and in some parts of the province the English part is covered over with graffiti. Also sometimes weekend cottages for rich English People are burnt down and such like.

Is it racist for London to impose the priority of English over the traditional and still spoken Welsh language within Wales itself?

Is this just a sign of the legacy of the Colonial attitude of the centre of Power in the UK, in Southern England and mainly London.

Should in light of the Iraq War etc the Welsh people start rebuilding Clawdd Offa or in the English Offa's Dyke?
Offa's Dyke

Will help keep our sheep and the best women in the world in, and the Taxman and army out? LA can keep tom Jones though and we want Catherine Zeta Jones back!

And in Scotland Hadrian's Wall?

Hadrians Wall

Discuss.

Elf.

Cymru Am Byth

[edit on 1-11-2008 by MischeviousElf]

new topics

join