It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 716
<< 713  714  715    717  718  719 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
DJIA : Down
Gold : Up.

They are not moving in the same direction today... LIke QE is doing well : Dollar is not the wealthy place to put your money... That's also why the Dow is going down in value !
I hope it will go further in this trend.. like Dow at 1340 and Gold at 11000... could be funny, and at least all the bankster will be fired... And after capitalism banking it will be sustainable banking !

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Since this thread was started on 10/18/2008

S&p 500 (SPY) +32.2%

S&P Small Cap (IJR) +36.0%

International (EFA) + 33.5%

Gold (GLD) +69.7%

Cash 1% (if you are lucky)

Looks like the gold investors still rule the roost. However if Gold was purchased physically instead of in the ETF,, to buy and sell would take would mean a likely 10% hit on both ends. Still Gold has outperformed but I would guess we look back a year from now and the market averages will have surpassed the return of Gold.

Lesson: Fear is a great destroyer of wealth.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Terviseks

And interestingly neither is the dollar. When the markets are up the dollar is down, when the markets are down the dollar is up. But today the markets are down and the dollar is getting a beating.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
JP Morgan & HSBC Sued For Silver Manipulation COMEX Conspiracy

The silver market, no stranger to controversy, has long been the focus of manipulation theorists. At a CFTC hearing Tuesday to consider new rules to strengthen its commodity-enforcement powers, commissioner Bart Chilton said market players have made "repeated" and "fraudulent efforts to persuade and deviously control" silver prices.
www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
A little off the radar, but an interesting read:

Analysis - Mining entrants could make FTSE investing riskier

(Reuters) - A rash of large mining companies planning to list in London could leave the most closely watched share index at the mercy of commodity prices and emerging markets. Ten mining companies, five of them Russian, are at various stages of coming to market, adding a further layer of risk to investing in the FTSE 100 .FTSE, a benchmark that already has a heavy weighting of resource groups.

Demand from emerging markets has lifted mining stocks, and helped prop up the index at a time of uncertainty over economic growth, but this dependence has a distinct downside...

...Energy and mining firms account for 31 percent of the index by weighting, up from 18 percent at the start of the decade....

Full article

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

And yet the market still stays flat today. I guess not everyone buys when the fed announces they are making another big move.

The midterms are over, time to see if the market really will be allowed to crash...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Terviseks

I just read this article, thought it both alarming and rather well observed?

Fed's $600bn gamble risks throwing away America's biggest asset By Jeremy Warner, Assistant Editor Telegraph.co.uk/Finance/Comment

By flooding the world economy with yet more freshly minted dollars, America further undermines faith in the greenback as an internationally reliable store of value and is thereby squandering an economic and geo-political asset of huge importance to the nation's history.

The dollar's reserve currency status means that America can borrow at will in its own currency from the rest of the world, and at favourable rates to boot. This privilege is being recklessly thrown away. Every time the Fed prints more dollars to fight the domestic recession, it further devalues that debt. The lenders are understandably getting restless.

As is now becoming steadily more apparent, dollar hegemony was a major underlying cause of the crisis, for it allowed America to go on an unrestrained borrowing binge; the developing world is ever more minded to think its demise part of the solution.

The Fed is taking a massive gamble with America's long term future by blindly pursuing further monetary stimulus; it may take time, but the dollar's all powerful reign on the world stage is drawing to a close.

Larry Summers – who departs as the President's economic adviser in January – puts it like this: "For how much longer", he asks, "can the world's top borrower carry on being the world's top power?" It's a good question.

?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Dollar is going down...
Other currencies going up, Oil as well.... guess what : doom for the US dollar is now and the next few days... thanks mr FED !

If I was the head of the ECB I would say : "stop being stupids... do somehing but don't dump the dollar !!!!!" And I will do exactly the same : dumping the Euro !!

Everyone will do the same and it will be a big mess...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm betting there will be a triple digit rally today on the dow. This will be seen as very good news to investors. It's bad for the dollar, but everyone will see it as a necessary step into improving the economy.

My personal opinion, I think its absolutely retarded. I might as well keep paying my visa with my mastercard and tell myself im out of debt.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
i've been up all night and it seems the market will wait for the NFP on friday. coupled with the FOMC , it's a weak deal. and here comes the big holiday off season for europe, they stay gone till december 29th!!
but, watch the usd/jpy go through the roof by friday ( that's why i stayed here watching...)
i had a huge ambush with entry orders waiting

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
here you can watch some Forex and Futures...

finviz.com...

finviz.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I'm betting there will be a triple digit rally today on the dow. This will be seen as very good news to investors. It's bad for the dollar, but everyone will see it as a necessary step into improving the economy.

My personal opinion, I think its absolutely retarded. I might as well keep paying my visa with my mastercard and tell myself im out of debt.

I agree, i have no idea how everyone can chear for the fed's new move to buy its own bonds. Dont really know how thats posible but there doing it. Sad part is 3/4 of america really dont understand the centeral bank and how it is run. I bet if everyone knew we would have a revolt.

Crazy Times We Live In!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
-dollar down

-crude oil way up

-gold + silver way up

-stocks way up

..and somehow this translates into good news ??

Obviously QE2 is coming into effect. This just means the dollar becomes deflated, and everything else becomes inflated relative to it. It means the purchasing power of the people is diminishing...

Yeah, great news .. lemme tell ya about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Someone doesn't need dollars any more.
Translates to: Someone doesn't need Americans any more.

Now Euro is above 1,4. Which one of these two is a bigger joke_

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Someone doesn't need dollars any more.
Translates to: Someone doesn't need Americans any more.

Now Euro is above 1,4. Which one of these two is a bigger joke?
edit on 4-11-2010 by DangerDeath because: Tipo

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Isn't it inflated? the dollar loses value and so you will need more dollars to buy the same ammount of gold or anything else.
So goldprice or oil and so on goes up

With deflation the dollar would increase in value, and you would need less dollars to buy the same ammount.

edit on 4-11-2010 by godddd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by godddd

Supply is inflated, purchasing power is deflated.

Someone speak up if this is incorrect. I make errors all the time when trying to get the correct terminology with economic issues.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
QE3 anybody????

Second line...

online.wsj.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The dollars history, check out the Chavez thread above, if this is true....buh bye Buck!!!

Chavez to start new currency with bilateral aggrement of 69 nations...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-11-2010 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 713  714  715    717  718  719 >>

join