It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R U Getting Ready for the fallout?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
My two sons and I both own our homes. Even though now is not the seller's market, I already mentioned something to them (though I don't think they took it seriously) about us all selling our places, for whatever we can get for them, bying 5 acres out in the deep country somewhere (where land price is cheap), and building a log cabin that would accomodate us. Both of my sons are in construction so they could do all the work themselves.

Does this seem irrational to the people at ATS? Really, I know there are some smart people here and people who have been watching all the angles for a long time, and I value your opinions. We all have jobs we have had for several years and would have to commute an hour drive but could ride together (for as long as the jobs hold out at least). I am thinking about needing to live off the land, getting a small farm animal stock up, etc.

Or, does anyone think it is too late to even start a venture like this?

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Where exactly do you see things going? And would a cabin out in the woods really protect from all of it, if things do go that bad? This sounds like more of an inconvenience than anything. I mean, if you all pulled SAVINGS together to do it, that's one thing (as a side project).

But, selling all your homes and relocating sounds like it's too much trouble. Also you seem to think all of your jobs are teetering?? What industry do you all work in? There's no reason to get carried away.

Remember, it is important to think about history. Even during the great depression, which to our generations looked SOOO bad, really weren't as bad as history has made it out to be. Time has made us perceive events as much worse than they really were. The great depression only had a 19-20% unemployment rate, which isnt as bad as people think.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by vapedson
Where exactly do you see things going? And would a cabin out in the woods really protect from all of it, if things do go that bad? This sounds like more of an inconvenience than anything. I mean, if you all pulled SAVINGS together to do it, that's one thing (as a side project).

But, selling all your homes and relocating sounds like it's too much trouble. Also you seem to think all of your jobs are teetering?? What industry do you all work in? There's no reason to get carried away.

Remember, it is important to think about history. Even during the great depression, which to our generations looked SOOO bad, really weren't as bad as history has made it out to be. Time has made us perceive events as much worse than they really were. The great depression only had a 19-20% unemployment rate, which isnt as bad as people think.

I'm afraid a depression is coming but you don't think a depression would mean the majority of us would be out of work? I am in pretty good shape; worked in state funded education for 23 years so I may be ok, but both of my sons work in commercial construction and I would think construction would come to a halt during a depression. And well just lots of other "things" I am hearing here and there; martial law, WWIII, NWO, etc. etc. I am thinking if you have a little piece of land in the country and grow your own food you can survive anything. But maybe I am being irrational, that is why I wanted to bounce it off others. Thanks for reply.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm seriously considering selling out, putting all my coin in euros, getting an all inclusive plane ticket to anywhere in the world, getting an international credit card and getting ready to split when I see tanks in the streets of America or a massive round up of dissidents. But by then the airports will probably be locked down and no excape and I'll have to squirt across the border on a dirt bike and fly out of Guadalajara.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Brilliant concept. Most of the world lives the way you are proposing to do. Part of the power that we have given over to the "thugs" is the power we have as a family unit. The dispersion of family members by "following money/jobs" has stolen much of the intimacy and security that can be found in tight communal family living. So much money and time wasted in duplication of efforts and material goods that pooling and sharing resources makes sense in both boom and even more so in a "controlled demolition" economy. Empower your family by being a fist rather separate fingers fighting in what may very soon be a real socio-economic brawl.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If I had the money, I would buy a place in the country and prepay the taxes so they have to leave me alone in the future. Unfortunately that is not the case.
Im stuck in the desert with a home I bought in Feb, that has dropped 30k since then. ... If I had the chance though, I would do it.

Ama

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
What exactly would be the point of this? You can't hide from these people. They will find you wherever you are. When it comes to survival your best bet is utilizing the resources and materials you have around you, not running off and limiting yourself to one area. You need to stick to an area that you know like the back of your hand so that you can come up with alternative plans. Besides, with the state of the economy, I don't see selling your house as a good idea.

You need to stock up on food, guns, ammo, water, etc. Bar your windows, build underground in your yard like a tornado shelter, get some lights to grow food, put up cameras around the house, barbed-wire fencing, etc. Basically, you need to turn your house into a self-sufficient fortress like Burt did in Tremors haha. If you run off and start building on land to grow food, it will not be long until you have people finding your land and now you've put yourself into a situation where you are not only fighting "them," but other survivors as well.

Running away does not solve the problem. Staying and fighting the power is answer. There are more of us than there are "them." If the time comes I will personally go down all guns blazing.

Isolation is not the key to survival, adaptation and opportunity are.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by edgecrusher2199]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can't and won't advise..... there are so many variables, and in the final analysis, what the hell do I know?

That said, that is exactly what my Bride and I did in 1993. Sold what we could, liquidated paper into cash, struck out for parts semi-known and built a (what we hope) is a more sustainable, more stable, less strategically-oriented life. A good life. A simple life, living beside others also pursuing a simple life, for the most part. A somewhat recent development is that the "yewts" seem to be enamored and pursing what they perceive to be an Americanized life. I understand that; I wanted MORE when I was young. Now I want LESS, and to be able to maintain our level of lessness.

It takes sand to do such a thing. Just loosely judging from your posts, I don't think you lack sand. I also am in construction, and it makes for excellent salvage of building materials. Being able to construct your own structure is a big part of the process. We put all our eggs in one basket. I wouldn't advise that for most people. If we'd chosen to have children, that would've changed the variables profoundly.

I think if we'd have stayed in the U.S. -- laaaaand that I loooooove -- we'd probably have gravitated toward making or contributing toward a VERY small gathering of like-minded and trusted folks ..... all for one and one for all, etc.

It's not been bad at all having most of my friends and relatives think we're insane. We used to be considered paranoid and deluded. These days, were're merely eccentric.

[edit for sepilnlg]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by argentus]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i'm in the middle of selling my mother's house, who is now in a rest home, and i have thought about moving and buying a small house in the boonies somewhere and living alot simpler. i think that has been on alot of other peoples minds also. i am seriously thinking about setting up a survival kit, have also thought about an exit stategy out of my city. not panicking yet, but i'm putting some thought into what might coming in the near future. luckily i have only 6000 dollars in total debt, and hundreds of thousands in hard assets, and that has allowed me to sleep better at night.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I say go for it!! And while you are at it.. make your home self sufficient to! Here is a great video from survivor man. I don't know if you seen it already, but if you didn't its a really good place to start.. If everything works out and nothing bad happens, then you have an awesome home built by you and your boys that could be self sufficient... And its a great bonding experience. Win Win

video.google.com...#

Good Luck!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thank you for the replies. I lured my sons and their girlfriends over yesterday with their favorite homecooked meal and after everyone had busted a gut, and were sprawled out across the living room, I had them where I wanted them. I laid out my plan; the girls were very excited about the idea (I think they thought it means no more work for them, yeah right). My sons were leary of the idea but I could tell they were showing some real interest as I threw the advantages (as I see them) at them. And I know they are thinking about it today and will continue to think about it. Now I just wait, to see if they take the bait.

new topics

top topics

join