It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Pre-crime" detector detects "hostile thoughts" before they become actions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

"Pre-crime" detector detects "hostile thoughts" before they become actions

uk.news.yahoo.com

This is a little concerning. A year ago, the US Department of Homeland Security reckoned that it had worked out how to read people's minds, and detect "hostile thoughts". They've just announced that they think it actually works.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com
www.nationalterroralert.com
www.theinquirer.net
www.blacklistednews.com

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Minority Report Is Here. This from what I can make of it is a glorified polygraph. What they intend to use it for should it actually works is anyone's guess. Its my understanding that the polygraph test is no longer admissible as evidence in some cases. Precognitive crime detection seems to be a thing of the not too distant future. If they can guaranty it actually works which again should be interesting.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Good post.. I just hope they done abuse this.. People are paranoid enough, does this technology really work, and what are the risks to the person getting scanned? I hope and pray that the authorities are responsible with the technology.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What if you are listening to Pantera before being scanned? Blame Dime-Bag? He is dead, sadly.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is pretty neat, but I doubt it is advanced enough to be used on anything but test subjects or maybe random interrogations. Better than water boarding I'd suppose.

and btw Minority Report is an amazingly underrated film. It shows big brother on a scale that 1984 never could.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
And here is a nice little illustration...............

www.newscientist.com...

edit:

oops...sorry OP...I think I missed that...I had a direct link from another source....

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Benarius]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
haha! I remember watching that movie and thinking that it would be possible for that kind of technology to exist. I laugh at the irony of how science fiction seems to always become a reality in some sense, but I don't laugh at the implications this could mean. Lord knows that as a human, I have my fair share of hostile thoughts and would hate to be prosecuted on a thought that I would never actually carry out.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
What if you are listening to Pantera before being scanned? Blame Dime-Bag? He is dead, sadly.

www.youtube.com...

lol thats a kick ass song/album...

The team behind FAST want it to be easily transportable, so that FAST trucks can appear at any sports or music event as required. They want them to become as regular a sight at such events as mobile toilets and catering trucks. I'm no privacy activist, but I fear the day.

thats not something I would really rather not see on a daily basis.

While I admit that it can be used for good( just like the rfid chip), there are better ways to handle problems that aren't as invasive.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Sensors detect pulse rate, breathing, skin temperature, or fleeting facial expressions

I dunno...polygraphs work by comparing "safe" questions to those that are likely to be unsafe (and illicit a response).

Seems to me if someone dosed themselves on xanax or ativan they would be able to remain pretty darn calm and since there is no "baseline" to compare their reactions they would probably pass. Don't the Israelies do this manually now? Trained agents that look for odd behavior on passengers boarding planes?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

It doesn't really detect hostile thoughts, they have a search criteria for things that they deem associated or correlated with (hostility)...It's just profiling...
It's the difference between giving you a blood test from across the room vs. saying "Hey, Vern, I bet that jumpy guy been taking coc aine"...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ahhh....and the thought police will soon follow.

This is rediculious! I want my friggn country back!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
who provides the standards of judgment?
as you haves said, what if you are distressed by matters completely different than "mal-intent"

Approving this technology is like approving the way people in the middle ages measured the bumps on the head to make out the criminals form the law abiding citizens.
The ones in control can abuse this system to weed out the suspicious from the sheeple based on pure mechanical ideals.

Phillip K. Dick saw the future and it wasn't very pleasant for us at least.
hopefully by the time they try to implement this the world will have changed.

top topics

join