It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin's town charged women for rape exams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's hometown required women to pay for their own rape examinations while she was mayor, a practice her police chief fought to keep as late as 2000.
www.cnn.com...

Nice. Looks like Palin is a true champion for women's rights. I'm not hiding that I REALLY cannot stand that woman. I really hope somehow McCain realizes his mistake and drops her for all the legal crap, and picks Huckabee or something. At least he's a pretty cool guy and seems very level headed.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If you dig a little further, you will find that this was the policy of the local police department. As mayor, you do not have complete control over every financial aspect of your town, even if there are only 6,000 people there. It is wrong to charge women for rape kits, that is for the police to pay for. Gov. Palin has always been a supporter of women. This is just an attempt to slander her from the Obama campaign because she is so popular among women.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by SuperSecretSquirrel]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

Oh okay. I wasn't aware the police dept. had the ability to override the decisions of the mayor. Also seems funny that in a town of 7,000 people, Palin was "unaware" of the practice as her people are saying. What a crock, but I know there will prolly be many more rushing to defend this. Thank you for your input.

Edit to add quote from source:

Interviews and a review of records turned up no evidence that Palin knew that rape victims were being charged in her town. But Croft, the former state representative who sponsored the law changing the practice, says it seems unlikely Palin was not aware of the issue

"I find it hard to believe that for six months a small town, a police chief, would lead the fight against a statewide piece of legislation receiving unanimous support and the mayor not know about it," Croft said.

So, either she knew about it, or her "executive experience" leaves alot to be desired.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by 27jd]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So really what we have here is a bit of slander that the MSM has no evidence to support other than the word of this Crock fellow who only finds it "unlikely".

These attempted hit pieces on Palin are getting more and more comical each and every time. The American people aren't buying this garbage. The only thing the MSM is revealing with all of their investigations is how crooked they are.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
So really what we have here is a bit of slander that the MSM has no evidence to support other than the word of this Crock fellow who only finds it "unlikely".

Slander??

I love how you can label FACTS slander. This piece makes no assertion that she knew about it, however, it is FACT that HER small town charged for rape kits while SHE was mayor. Either she had no idea what was going on in HER small town, where she was supposed to be connected to the people (after all she's just a "regular" small town gal right?), or she knew about it and did not fight her police chief AT ALL about it. Too busy "taking on the establishment" I guess to care about the women in HER small town. What is comical is her supporters around here, defending her regardless of FACTS.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I am not saying that the police department has the authority to override the mayor and the city council. Rape kits cost between $450-$1200 so you can see why a poor police department chief would want to cut costs. I really don't think that then Mayor Palin knew about this until s**t hit the fan and this was banned statewide soon after. Obviously more smears propagated by the MSM.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
I really don't think that then Mayor Palin knew about this until s**t hit the fan and this was banned statewide soon after.

See above. In small towns in AK, word gets around.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

You are correct by saying that women were charged in this town for their rape kits while Palin was mayor.
That is a fact.

However who's feet do you hold to the fire? The mayor who can't possibly monitor every aspect of every department or the police chief that implements the actual policies?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's hometown required women to pay for their own rape examinations while she was mayor, a practice her police chief fought to keep as late as 2000.

So we're talking about 1 single case of rape? FBI statistics show that there was only 1 case of rape in the time-frame mentioned.

Secondly, since when is the mayor of a town involved in the details of criminal prosecution? It's the district attorney and police chief that make these decisions.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

LOL, Yes, word does get around, but I do not live in Wasilla and neither do you so I think that it is pointless for both of us to argue about the time line about who knew what and when. All I am saying is that Palin shouldn't be flamed for the policy of the police department the way that the MSM is portraying it.

S & F for you by the way. I think this is an interesting thread.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by SuperSecretSquirrel]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Exactly. And even the article admits that there is no proof that Palin had any previous knowledge of this. They even go so far as to mention a quote which states the only person they couldn't convince was the police chief.

The agenda with this article is so obvious it's pathetic.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I admit I don't really know the in's and out's of this whole thing, never said I did. But I would imagine, addressing the point made by dbates, that in such a small town the mayor would be aware of the ongoing rift between the chief of her police force and the rest of the state. Being a woman, I imagine she would have taken a stand on it, in one way or another. How much more could be going on in Wasilla AK that the mayor was unaware of this, really? That was probably one of the most important legal battles going on in her small town at the time.

So, my thoughts are not that she doesn't care about women, but that she had no idea shows she was not as closely involved as she should have been. That is another ding in her long record of failures as the mayor of such a small town. I could only imagine how bad she would screw up our already fragile country if she were to become president should anything happen to McCain.

I'm not here to change any minds of those entrenched in this years left vs. right BULLPOO. My agenda is my own, I voted for McCain as our senator, I am not one of your political adversaries. I'm speaking to others like me, who aren't going to vote based on party affiliation alone. We KNOW Palin can do no wrong in your eyes. I can't even fathom the possibility of her becoming president.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I really don't think that then Mayor Palin knew about this until s**t hit the fan

Another point about this, isn't that the kind of lack of our leaders "being in the know" that has led us to many unpleasant events, such as 9/11 and the current market situation? She is no different than any other politician, with their heads in their arses and their hands in our pockets.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Whoa, I never said or implied that Palin could do no wrong. I think that both parties are bad for America so I will not vote for either. On this particular subject however, I just think that it is unfair for the MSM to suggest that she approved of this policy. The way that the MSM blamed Obama for his half-brother's plight was deplorable. This type of smearing is unfortunately all too common where candidates are held responsible for things they either were not aware of or had no business in in modern politics

My girlfriend was all riled up when she told me about this a few days ago so I did a little research on it. This was also a quip from Jon Stewart on the Daily Show. Things like this can be twisted easily to suit the purposes of politicians.

I still think that this should fall on the shoulders of the police chief and the DA.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Once again you are correct in your statement. She is a politican and therefore not trustworthy. I am not infatuated with her at all, I just want fairness by the media. Pipedream, I know....

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Whoa, I never said or implied that Palin could do no wrong.

Oh no. Sorry, I wasn't directing that at anybody in particular. That was more of a general disclaimer for those that may come here solely to defend Palin and not to debate the principles of the issue itself. I will try and be more clear.

top topics

join