It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world would be better without money

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

You're quite right, and I agree with you 100%: the world would be better off without money.

Now, what have you got that will replace it? Forget barter; it's too clumsy. Are you going to depend on the goodwill of the baker and the butcher to fetch you your dinner?

Come up with a replacement to money, something that will do all the useful things money does without corrupting people who fall in love with it, and we'd all be happy to abolish specie and promissory credit in a jiffy.

But you don't have anything like that, do you?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Honestly no i dont have anything to replace it sadly i wish i did but no sorry i dont but what about just the items that we have that are ours to trade things we make ourselves then trade for what we want isnt that what they used to do before money but im not too sure on that.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Everybody would have to work nine times as hard in a world like that. And you'd be constantly arguing about stuff like how many oranges is a dugout canoe worth. It would get so frustrating you would start murdering your neighbours pretty quickly. That's one of the things money is good for: it helps keep the peace.

Money is in many ways the worst thing. It is also the indispensable thing.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
In regards to any and all "the world would be better off if ..." threads the end result is always the same.

Whether it's money, guns, drugs, religion whatever it is, there is no way to appease everyone. There will always be a group that does not appreciate what is imposed on it and will rebel. It will refuse to go along. It only takes one to introduce money or barter or guns or religion and then the whole system of living with absence of said item will teeter and crumble.

The end result for anyone who has ever thought for an instance "the world would be better off if ..." is to round up and either imprison or kill anyone who thought otherwise. Maybe through generations of training and educations and brainwashing you can limit the numbers that will need to be killed off but they will always be there.

You, OP, would sooner or later have to start saying the world would be better off if we could just get rid of what makes us human.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeh my man with the beer can.

Star for you.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Money has not ethical meaning. Money is simply a token used as a store of value.

Without money, there would be no job specialization. Basically, you'd need to be a survivalist. Grow your own food, make your own clothing. prepare your own fuel. You wouldn't have time much for reading and writing, or other specialized activity. Brewing beer would be about as specialized as you'd have time for.

You're complaint is valid, but I suspect what you are actually complaining about it peoples ATTITUDES about money, rather than money itself.

Other moralists have felt this too. Paul writing in the Bible points this out:

"For the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evils."

Perhaps what bothers you is people's aquisitiveness and self-interest, or that money is used to define your freedom and importance by the world's economies.

all the bets.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Money has not ethical meaning.

No. It merely has ethical consequences.

Money is simply a token used as a store of value.

If only.

'LOVE of money is the root of all evil.'

If only it were that simple.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I agree with you, money = corruption.

But unfortunately there is no other system that could possibly work. :\

Bit of a rut there your stick in

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As you can see by your post that many here simply cant comprehend a world without money....and thats just sad

These people think we wont have anyone making anything because there's no financial incentive to do so.

Of course they are wrong. Even without money, people would be willing to build computers, build houses, and yes even dig ditches without pay. And the menial tasks like scrubbing toilets would become automated by robots or other technologies (we could do this now but dont wanna put people out of work...the same people that vote and riot when left without a job)

People would all get a home. We would all get food and clothing...equal distribution and no fighting. Why should someone own 7 homes while another sleeps on the street ?

If only 50% of the people produced goods it would be enough to sustain us all. The other 50% could pursue the arts, sciences, entertainment, etc all to enrich our lives. It would be a golden age.

Instead most of humanities manpower is wasted on such silly pointless professions like accounting, financial planners, wall street, economics, public relations, etc.

By the way, Ive started several threads in the past about this very subject. If you check them out, they all get the same results. People either think we'll be living in caves or starve to death or that Im a communist...

what they dont understand is this, the elite have been defeated many times over. They dont care how many times they lose. They dont care if it takes multiple generations to pass before they attain their goals. In short, they are relentless.

Money and the power to create it will always end in evil. And until we get rid of money, there will always be suffering

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

hy :-)

"The world would be better without money?"
The world would be better without humans.

The human would be better without money?
No.
We have our evil-side in us, and no money or something will change this.

Blessing
Nia

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Of course the world would be better without money.

Look at animals.
There fine without money.
The most that happens is a little fight over a female or a bit of food but theres no animals having wars and wiping each other out.
Theres just a food chain.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is a no brainer , money = greed.
Greed leads to corruption , so here we are in a world of corruption. I dont see any good future for us as long as we continue to use money. I dont even know if we can get out from under this greed , corrupted way of life as most people in the world at the moment are so utterly caught up is its spell they cant see any other way of life. For them money all that really matters.
There are better ways to live , but we have been and are so manipulated we cant see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Tell me this , why do we have to pay to live on our own planet ? Its ours , its everyones... somewhere along the line we have been trained into a state of mind that we have to "pay" to exsist on our own bloody planet , how sick , how insane have we have become.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Reevster]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
American indians had it the best, in my opinion. No money. Yea, they would trade things like tobacco and wampum (neither essential for life) , but for the most part, they lived off, and studied the land. I'm sure they didn't stress about things like making house payments. They got what was necessary from the land, everything else was luxury. In today's world, though, if you don't have money, you die, or are VERY uncomfortable. The dollar is just used to enslave us.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
After a good chat with a fellow member of ATS on MSN we started to talk about what the world was like a long time ago when theyre was no money and i think its pretty clear things was better people actually had to work and be good at something then they could trade it to get something else in return that they needed.

i just really think this world would be better off without money because today
1. wars are fought over money
2. Couples break up over money
3. people are killed because of money

what do you think are we now too dependent on money so much that we NEED it to survive or can we as a society move on to better ways of live.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

friends and i have discussed this very topic numerous times with no conclusion of late.

i am 100% in agreeance with you that this world would be better off without money and greed though it is a imaginary occurance only sadly...

we have also fathomed the thought of trade, its a great idea, if only we had not had the mighty dollar dangled in our faces already. there are communities still out there who still live by the trade motto and it works...though most of them have never had a wallet in their lives hense why its so easy for them.

its a great theory and i commend you for bringing it up because evan though it will never come to light, at least it allows us to stop and think about how money runs our lives. most of us are on this earth wasting presious time living to work for that new car instead of working to live a healthy and peaceful life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join