It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Magnetic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Metallica is Back baby... and better than ever:

Click Me for New Metallica Songs

I also uploaded the entire album to my MySpace profile Here

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
A friend told me a store in France started selling the album really early... like two weeks early!
Blabbermouth.net

Only thing I can say so far is... Thank God Lars actually put the snare drum on! I HATED the sound of the snare in St. Anger.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I must say it is almost like listening to the "Black Album" for the first time.

I am pleasantly surprised.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't normally bump something, but the release of the album is this Friday, so only 2 days away... I guess technically 1 day. Has anybody else heard the leaks or even just the singles?

And for you fans out there that are "exclusive" to the first 4 albums, how do you feel about this one?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i was pretty much exclusive to the first 4 albums, load and reload were, umm......okay. st anger was complete and total garbage IMO.

this album though is great, its the only thing im listening to right now.

lars is still a punk though.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thats cool to see you like it. Most people I know that were exclusive to the first 4, have all enjoyed this one so far.

BTW, the entire album is now streaming on their website here:

Death Magnetic

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I just bought the CD today.
I brought it home, put it in the CD player, cranked up the volume

And now my basement smells like melted plastic because I friggin cranked that chunk and almost smoked my speakers!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!
Welcome back Metallica!

YYYYEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I never really liked metallic... and their whole attacking their fans stunt really made me dislike them. I think they are the greatest example of sell outs that we have in recent times.

I read an article where Lars was saying he doesn't mind people down loading anymore, because that is how it is today. What a hypocrite, anything for the money. It's rather strange that after they make, at the time, one of the most lucrative deals in music... That their music shifted in sound drastically.

These guys wouldn't even allow their videos to be on MTV at first, because they said it would be selling out. Well money has a way of tempting many people. i say... pop will eat itself.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
First of all... I'm tired of hearing this stupid stuff about Metallica being Sell-outs. By them NOT catering to their fans, and playing the music THEY want to play, is pretty much everything a sell-out isn't. They didn't take the safe road and play the same music over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again like these other bands whose songs and albums all sound the same.

Second... Bob Rock is not a producer of Heavy Metal music as can be seen Here. You'll see names like Cher, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, among others on there. Metallica wanted to make different music than they did in the 80's. And they hired Bob Rock to help them with that. I don't see anything wrong with them changing their artistic style. But even after the change... they still sounded like Metallica. It doesn't matter how fast or slow they are playing, or how James is singing in... there is no mistake in their sound. I say the same about ZZ Top... theres no way you mistake those vocals or guitar.

And a quote from Kirk about this new album:

"I think we’re all aware of the danger of becoming a band that exists in the past, I think any band that’s been around as long as we have has to face that. But [Death Magnetic] is going to prove to people that we never lost our ability to make an album like this. We just chose not to. And I’ll stand by those words."

They sold out because they made a music video? Then what the hell do you have to say about all these other so called true metal bands today making their little videos? The intention behind the Napster thing was to protect those artists that don't have the money they do. People like Metallica don't have to worry about their albums getting illegally downloaded... they have more money than they could ever need. But theres these other artists, that while they might be touring, don't make hardly any kind of money. But the whole issue got turned around on them, and thats why they've backed off now, because everyone took it the wrong way.

And I'm just gonna stop here because I could go for days. But the last thing, is that the real reason Metallica is tagged with the sell-out label and everything, is the same reason the older brother gets in trouble when a younger sibling does something stupid. Just like the older brother is the one that has to set the example for the younger ones, Metallica has set the bar in their genre of music.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The industry suits are the ones that make the money anyways... it is not the artists. I'd gladly download an album and send the artists $10.00, over supporting a system that gets fat on the back of the modern day bards.

IMO the purity and power of modern music is muddled with the greed of money, masked by massive fear fed illusionary bones bedecked with green backs and lack of food to feed the face.

I do not support Metallica one bit

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"According to Billboard.com, METALLICA's new "Death Magnetic" is projected to have sold in the neighborhood of 450,000-500,000 copies in the U.S. in its first three days of release (Friday-Sunday)"

IMO, that's damn impressive to sell that many in just 3 DAYS. Their last couple albums didn't even sell that in their first week. They're playing clips all over ESPN, Fox Sports, and other shows. Theres a pretty good consensus that this album sits well with their first four.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Have ya listened to it? Cliff Burton is Moshing in Heaven right now to this album!

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I for one just listened to the new album and it's not Metallica. Well not the one I fell in love with. I think people may like this one because it is better than the last few. But as far as people really calling this Metal, maybe weak sauce wanna be Metal. I wanna hear the old thrash. But props for them to keep releasing albums that are still good except for the last 3 IMO. It may not be what I would like to hear from them, but bands evolve over time, and this is the new Metallica. But I really don't feel the need to listen to the album. One album I was impressed by was Garage Inc. It was a great album because they put that great Metallica style from the Black Album, And Justice for All, Ride the Lightening on a lot of the songs they covered. Take Bread Fan; the original blows. But the one on Garage Inc. kicks major butt! Also the majority of the selection that was covered was really good songs, with some really great mood setting and story telling. I still like Metallica, I am not saying the album isn't good, but it would be nice to have more than 2 songs that are reminders of And Justice for All... and the Black Album. Just my two cents... which in this economy doesn't say much.:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkHelmet

And I am so sick of people defending their decision to sell out.

I say they sold out and here's why.

They had a unique sound that was all theirs....and they changed it without a care for their fans.

If suddenly you went to McDonalds and they had changed all their burgers to tofu burgers everyone would freak out and their loyal followers would leave in droves.......

which is EXACTLY what Metallica did.......they changed their sound and excluded all their old fans......change your product and you face major rebellion from those who put you where you are !!.

And whomever made James change the way he sang (old vs new) should be shot IMO. He went from having a great metal voice to just another hack A.K.A. Creed's Scott Stapp.

IMO ...once Cliff Burton died Metallica died as well...they should have changed the band name and moved on...which would have shown more class that trying to keep the Metallica flame going.....once Newkid joined they were not Metallica anymore and you could hear it in the way they made Newkid "play down" to their level when all along he wanted to pound that bass (check out the first Flotsam & Jetsam album to hear Newkid working that bass like it should be worked). The new bass player just friggin sucks.....with the money they have they could have gotten Dave Ellefson from Megadeth and he would have been fantastic in Metallica. All Metallica cares about is cash.....pure and simple...screw the fans...make the cash.

Metallica is a weak shadow of the once great metal gods they were. I stopped listening to them after the black album (which was good).

Know why Metallica has not put an album out for the last 5 yrs?? because they have nothing to offer in originality and style anymore. they are empty shells of what they used to be. Their music now sounds "forced out" vs "flowing out" like the days of old.

load, reload, st. crapola & death magnetic are/were nothing but mass-marketed excrement.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Alpha Grey]

top topics

join