It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wallnut tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
well you can belive in the global warning fab as much as you want ,
i dont , the world is getting colder and dryer.

ill give you an example of why.

the wallnut tree and more specificly " juglans regia L " aka, the german wallnut tree

it was a common tree up here in the arctic circle during the stoneage, or so archeological escevations tell us ,
it was native to these regions , N66 33´ co ordinates for thouse intrested.

these days how ever youll have to go to germany or there abouts to find this tree in its natural habitat. you could say it grows these days in the regions of northern africa to germany.

heres a few snippets from wiki about this tree

A key trait for more northerly latitudes of N. America and Europe is phenology, with ‘late flushing’ being particularly important to avoid frost damage in Spring. Some cultivars have been developed for novel ‘hedge’ production systems developed in Europe and would not suit more traditional orchard systems.

The two most commercially important species are J. regia for timber and nuts, and J. nigra for timber. Both species have similar cultivation requirements and are widely grown in temperate zones.

so what have I concluded from this you might ask ,

was it warmer during the stonage ?

yes.

is the weather here to unstable these days for it to grow

yes

is it to cold for this tree to live here

yes

this tree as you might have guess is very fragile to frozt and radical climate changes , and has not been able to re populate it self in these regions for over 8.000 years + because of that.

to me the wallnut tree is a mystery because it goes against this global warning fab.
If the world as they would like to portrey is getting warmer then why hasent this tree migrated back up here where it was a native tree.

just think about it a tree that was native here after the iceage when it was cold is no longer a native tree here because of global warming makes no sence at all when it needs temprate climate to live and repopulate it self.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I require more evidence before I trust a tree to my opinions.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

to counter that opinion ,

what is normal climate then you might ask for this planet,

to me its a thick sheet of ice (north and south )for a long time followed by erratic climate changes then its back to a thick sheet of ice ,

now we live in the erratic ages when climates do change ,
but the normal climate for this planet is thick ice caps for thousends of years

man made or not ,
this tree who´s natural habitat was as far north as the arctic circle , has vanished from here because of global warmth makes no sence ,
since it needs acording to botanics a tempred climate to survive.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Global warming is not a simplistc "everywhere gets warmer" idea.

It is rather that the average temperature of the earth rises. But this process causes changes in atmospheric and oceanic convection, so that some places will actually become colder. In other places, weather will become more variable and volitile. It is perfectly consistant with global warming for one place or several places to become colder as currents of air and water change.

Meanwhile, lack of fresh water is another problem all together, and an increasingly common one.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I am by no means a scientist but I thought global warming meant that things WILL cool down.

Example, the earth gets hotter for reasons either man made or nature, thus the ice caps melt, causing the oceans temperatures to drop, thus causing our air temperatures to drop.

So while you hear the words global warming, you think things should heat up, when in fact it causes the opposite effect.

Kinda like Iceland is all beautiful and green and Greenland is ice.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

While I generally am going agree that as the time pass on, world will eventually cool down before it's gonna burn when the sun heats up (why? explanation in the end of this post). However, there is another "tree evidence" that points to contrary (keeping in mind that this thread was based on distripution of trees).

Global Warming Causes Spruce Trees to Encroach on Tundra

reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
I am by no means a scientist but I thought global warming meant that things WILL cool down.

Example, the earth gets hotter for reasons either man made or nature, thus the ice caps melt, causing the oceans temperatures to drop, thus causing our air temperatures to drop.

Heh, I am not scientist either, therefore I might too easily accept what Cowgirlstraitup stated above.

I believe that Earth is indeed cooling down. Warming is only temporary if it has happened at all. My empirical observations up here in north indeed shows contrary; I know that one summer is not much basis to say anything but I nevertheless gonna say that recent summer was cold and rainy. No warming observable here! And why Earth will cool down? Because there will be less and less organic material that would tie down the heat. Rainforests are cut down as other forests as well. More houses and other structures are constantly being build. This all reduces the organic material that would tie the heat in to the earth. But still I believe that in the end, we are going to burn

In the end I have to say that it is very much disputable what is manmade warming or cooling, and it is more desperate mission to try to tell what kind of climate there would be without industrialization and civilization. I guess I'd only lay back and see what the future brings us

Sincerely,

-v

[edit on 4-9-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't know about global cooling on a big scale but here in West Virginia the leaves started changing a couple of weeks ago right in the middle of august. it doesn't usually happen till about mid September. so somethings kinda off.

new topics

top topics

join