It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture Evidence of Great White off Scotland ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
May lend some credence to previous (some not all) claims of the Great White off the British coast.

A photo snapped by an ROV located beneath a rig platform, shows a shark that resembles a GW.

Although claims by local Marine Biologist lean towards a GW, I think it looks more like a Mako or similar.

IMO, the dorsal fin has more of a point to it like a Mako, rather than that of a GW.

Shark expert Doug Herdson of the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth said last night: “This is an important sighting. We can’t be 100 per cent sure but it looks like a Great White.
"There’s no reason why it couldn’t have travelled here from the coast of the US.
“There’s plenty of food in the North Sea and the temperatures are fine for them. Sharks are attracted to rigs because the water near the structure is warmer.

Another thing that seems out of place is that the article states the ROV was down 300 feet, yet the HUD info states 0 feet.

Don't know a lot about ROV's, so this could be a normal occurance.

McJaws (from the article)

Here's a previous thread involving other incidents around the British coast where a GW was believed to have been spotted. (one or some were proven to be hoaxes)

Previous ATS Thread

I don't think it was ever disputed that a GW couldn't roam around off the
British coast, but it does raise the question of why they are in the news so much lately.

Any views on the photo? Great White or something else?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Sharks swim and they are in the Atlantic and there are Seals... what is so odd about this...

Please repost when you have a photo of Cthulu or Leviathan plz

Something like that, but not a hoax and alive please sir

ty

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The Sun.
It could actually be a dogfish and The sun would pigeon hole it as a 20ft man eater

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I'm sorry... maybe neither one of you saw the question at the bottom

Any views on the photo? Great White or something else?

Mop

Please repost when you have a photo of Cthulu or Leviathan plz

If we all waited to post when something like this comes along, it would be a pretty boring place

Dalek

The Sun.
It could actually be a dogfish and The sun would pigeon hole it as a 20ft man eater

Is that your reply to the question... a DogFish??

The Sun is far from the most credible piece of reading, but they did however print the story, in which the photo is my topic for this thread.

What's your take on the photo?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

lol... well that would be true

Seriously, it's surely a Great White, they must come over sometimes, and global warming and all...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Its tough to judge by the picture alone. Can't really make out the size, or see its head. It could just be a porbeagle or mako.

And the previous sightings off the coast was a hoax. The guy that had the picture of the shark admitted he took it in South Africa.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Thats my take as well.

I wish there was something in the picture for size reference.

Is it possible to judge the size based on dorsal to pec fins? Some type of formula maybe?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Now it would appear they have found a tooth to go with all the Great White hoopla... GW Tooth found

And yes.. its from the Sun again.

IMO, this doesn't really prove anything other than the fact of a great white shark loosing a tooth in the area. Great Whites have rows of teeth to loose so to have one found on a British beach would not be impossible, uncommon but not impossible.

It does seem a little too convenient though doesn't it

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well im not a qualified expert but i hope to be some day and in the mean time i have been studying sharks for a few years

And personally the patterns suggest a mako shark or great white shark but the shape suggests a bullshark apart from the dorsal fin which suggests none of the above

But i can say with confidence that i dont believe that thats a great white

Its not the clearest of pictures but given the pattern and the size of the shark people would just assume its a great white, but i highly doubt that it is

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You want a picture of leviathan ??? how about my Autistic son in a temper tantrum instead. It's no different

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
for some reason many groups seem to have an obsession with the concept of " great white sharks in UK waters " that goes far far beyond

some sportsmen [ sea kyakers , wind , wave and kite sufrers ] seem convinced that if a GW turns up it will eat them and thier entire club

i have encountered fishermen with obsessions of being the first to catch a GW in UK waters

scaremongerers who think that the plot of the jaws movie / book will be played out on newquay beach

there is virtually no barrier to the GW coming here - bar apathy / inertia - why migrate when its current habitat is niether over populated , poluted or devoid of food ?

but strangers from distat oceans appear here with regularity - by accident or design - what is so special about the GW ?

from a saftey POV - the apperence of tigersharks in numbers would be a far greater concern

the GW has developed a mythos so far divorced fom reality that even the POSSIBILITY of its presence here provokes near hysteria

IMHO ` lost ` individual GWs probally traverse UK waters with regularity - as do sunfish who come just as far and are just as ` out of place `

south africa , the USA and other places have 10s of thousands of sharks in thier aters - with only a hand full of attacks

but some how certain elements in britain hve convinced themselves that a single GW will unleash carnage in UK waters

PAH ! i would love to see GWs here - it would save me havoing to go to south africa to see them

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Update the Sun has new picture. Looks like a blobshark.

One point that it is a white shark, is that they are the only shark the breaches the water surface to take a look around.

One point that it is not a white shark, just way to close to the shore. They hate confined areas.

My guess is that it is not a white shark. But The Sun sure likes these stories.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I fail to see why this thread is on this site to be honest.

This is not a one line post.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I saw that this morning as well.

Exactly like you said, 'too close to shore'.

Anything is possible, but seems out of character for a GW. (might add the picture looks almost PS'd, just doesn't seem right).

As for why is this thread even on here....

Many people in the UK and elsewhere believe there is no possibility of a Great White Shark swimming in their waters, therefore applying a 'somewhat' mythical quality to it.

As Ape mentioned above regarding the fallacies and misconceptions of the Great White, with the amount of falsehoods surrounding it ... that in itself makes it mythical to the average person with no knowledge of sharks.

new topics

top topics

join