It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school district OKs pistols for staff

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Teachers are trusted to provide our children with the education that will allow them to succeed. Everyone can agree how important their job is. So, if you trust them with your child's future, why don't you trust them with your child's present?

Most of you didn't read the story.

1. School district approved the measure.
2. Parents didn't disapprove the measure.
3. Teachers aren't required to carry.
4. If they choose to, they have to complete the CC course AND school crisis training.

We can do what if's all day long. The reason why spree killers choose places such as schools, churches, malls etc. is because the people there are usually defenseless (unarmed). They are COWARDS. If they know there are armed people (or the possibility of it) present, they will choose someplace else.

Eric

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm surprised that Michael Moore hasn't voiced his opinion on this in the media.

One of the previous posts brought up the suggestion of another movie title
"Clock Work Orange" with the police standing by the metal detectors at the school doors.

None of this is right ... Schools are not a place for Weapons, not unless your raising the children for the Taliban.

I'm sure Charlie Wilson has a few thoughts on this.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I am so against the idea of teachers being allowed to have guns in school. Teachers are human too and who is to say that there may be some who, on a stressful day of teaching, wouldn't think twice about pulling out the gun .

I think metal detectors at each school entrance would be a much better choice then everyone could go to school and concentrate on teaching an learning and not have to worry about wether or not they were protected.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Name me one..just one country where they handled crime better without weapons. I don't think it can be done. The argument you use is that there would be more murders if everyone was armed. Thats the same one that is used in every state before they allow concealed carry, and it doesn't hold water. In EVERY state that has permitted concealed carry, the crime rates have dropped. If every criminal knows they might be killed or wounded, they think twice. Look at the crime rates in places where they don't allow concealed carry. So much for liberal thinking....

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MsFab

If you do some reasearch you will find that in almost every case its the teacher that becomes the victim by the student, not the otherway around. I have found that when its the teacher its from the pacific rim countries and its usualy over a religious reason. The "red hering" is the teacher "flipping out" and shooting the students. A metal detector will not stop some crazed murderer from entering a school and killing the students. There has to be some kind of counter threat that will bother the murderer. Some deterent that they have to think about to make them reconsider the target they seek. Nothing else will work. In this day and age where terrorists are mapping our schools and photographing them for later perusal, we need to rethink our basic security for our children. Our teachers are our first line. That is going to be the undeniable truth of our future!

Zindo

[edit on 8/20/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Our teachers are our first line. That is going to be the undeniable truth of our future!

That is absoulutely correct.

On the flip side, for those of you that say we trust our teachers to educate our kids, but not with their life....Well, trusting someone with a work book is not the same as trusting them with a gun. A security guard might not make a great teacher, and vice versa.

Yea, I'm fighting for both sides. I have conflicting thoughts on this.
TJ

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join