It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX]Is my Grandfather a time traveler or a joker?[HOAX]

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tegmondy
well, 19 pages later and only 3 or 4 posts on the science.

It's pretty clear it's a hoax, but is the science possible? That's the topic now. Does anyone know if it is possible?

Going to sleep now. Hopefully a scientific evaluation of some kind may be posted by tomorrow evening.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Tegmondy]

I think you are making up the grandfather part.
Not that he passed away, I don't know about that and of course knowing how that feels myself it is sad.
But the part that he left these to you in some mysterious chest.
I think you made these documents.Recently.
They are newly printed and the burns newly done on new paper with a brand new staple.
The question remains to me as to WHY you went to all this trouble to do this.
Then you ask many people on here about the science involved and if its doable.
Is this just some idea or dream you had and you want to get scientific peoples perspective on it to see if it could be achievable?
If so then you should have just put your ideas on here and asked opinions instead of making up a lie.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Yes, we get that. Thank you for your brilliant forensic analysis. I look forward to more of your cutting acumen on this topic.

What more is needed????

It takes only 10 seconds to determine this is a hoax. It's written with a typewriter.

It's intellectual promiscuity to sit here for 20 pages discussing it.

Let me cut to the chase: Gramps had the last laugh.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The science here is theoretically possible.

I'm 16 and i just read the sphere stuff in a book.

so the OP might have gotten this info from some books or something, it wouldnt be that tough.

Either that or his gramps had too much time on his hands

Does anyone else notice that WW3 is placed in 2008, and it would well enough begin this year seeing the worlds current situation?

just a thought...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
One reason why this is complete nonsense is obviously people from the furture aren't going to be carrying around paper and writing with pencils and pens for the exact reason that these pages are incomplete and "damaged". The damage on the edges it too "on purpose."

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Tegmondy

WOW! This is complete garbage! Can anyone see what I see... documents are fake... all edges are seared to look old and the crumpled picture of the time machine is such a joke I laughed for some time. I can assure you my 8 year old could do a better job...FAKE!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tegmondy

Very interesting for sure, but need to look at these aspects in a normal investigative process: (1) Format: We would expect in the future that paper would be more of a mylar, film of some type based material. As well I think the print process loks very conventional. 30 years fro now will be still be using conventiona print technologies? (2) The manner in which it is written is not technical, but more that of an author of a novel. Not something you would expect from scientific types.

This is not to say that there is not merrit to what it proposes. There are many things we do not yet undrstand on know about, at least at the public level. There is much that does exist that man has not yet understood or discovered, but they do exist, just waiting. While time travel may not be reality, other things that seem sci-fi today are.

As far as world war 3 & 4. There is no doubt something big is coming, but it is coming from outside this planet, something that will see all nations united to fight but unable to. The destruction will be worldwide, and the world will be changed without doubt. There will be survivors. There is also more to Global Warming than meets the eye, it is related as well.

Anyways, back to the subject on hand. It may not be a prank, but it seems non scientific in it's presentation. Also, even if you can bend this and that, reality is that you can not cause what has already transacted to reverse itself, physically will not happen. Travel forward can be done thrugh time travel, but simply pauses time for the person traveling while tme for the rest of us continues. The time traveler then in efect has moved forward without aging or perception of time passed, but once there, can not return.

All the Best

Maverick

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It is interesting that at least two posters have weighed in and seem to think that the actual science/theory behind the time travel method discussed in this manual could actually be valid or possible. I hope the theoretical physicist who said he was going to look into the math behind the idea comes back with more information.

Like most I am skeptical as to the story behind the manual, and some additional information from Tegmondy would be helpful.

Here are a few questions for Tegmondy:

-Did your grandfather have a wife..your grandmother...who could shed some light on the mysterious manual.

-Did your father or mother ever hear your grandfather discuss time travel or have any reason to believe he was interested in this matter. Likewise did anyone who knew your grandfather ever know him to disappear for days on end or exhibit any strange behavior that would indicate a connection to this matter.

-Is is possible to upload a picture of the chest/metal box in which this manual was found.

-What profession did your grandfather work in before, I assume, he retired.

-Do you find it odd that your mother gave you this box without investigating the contents herself--I can't imagine one wouldn't be curious as to what is in it considering you said that during the days leading up to his death he said how important this chest and its content was. **This is a biggee to me, seriously, I would think that in itself would make anyone curious enough to look in the box before giving it away and saying it's probably nothing important.

-Are there any imprints on the paper itself that would indicate it was typed on an old manual typewriter...which normally left an imprint on the paper from the force of the key hitting the paper.

-Is it possible that your grandfather wanted to be a writer/novelist and this was the beginning of a manuscript that he hoped to someday get published.

-Did your grandfather have any other "odd" belongings he left behind that would make you think that he had any sort of mysterious background.

-Did your grandfather have any siblings...if so, are any of them alive--who could shed some light on parts of your grandfather's past that you might be unaware of...such as strange behavior, or even mental problems.

You have given a small amount of information and are wanting people to weigh in on whether the science behind the idea is possible, but I think many people are having a difficult time (and rightly so) divorcing themselves from the idea that this entire thing is a hoax and are therefore not paying attention to the actual time-travel idea posited in the manual. I know a bit of physics, but certainly not enough to give any helpful analysis of the "science" behind the idea in the manual. If you are serious about finding out what theoretical physicists think about the ideas in the manual I would suggest going to a nearby University and talking to a physics professor to get his/her input.

Any additional information would help to shed light on this I would imagine. I must admit I do find it odd that you have posted this curious manual and have followed up adding pictures when asked, but you don't seem to be forthcoming with additional information regarding questions asked you by fellow ATSers. If you want this to be taken seriously I think more information is needed.

[edit on 113131p://3734 by xtradimensions]

[edit on 113131p://4334 by xtradimensions]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I love how every post trying to call this a hoax only focuses on the visual aspect of it.. we've had numerous people confirm that all things listed are possible... yet no responses to those posts. I'm not surprised....

[edit on 17-8-2008 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by russ1969

Hey Russ1969. Some good points. I just posted also under the name Maverick, just registered with ATS. See my thoughts.

BCMaverick

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I do not know what drove you, or what drives other individuals to these types of activities - but the document you have presented is not based on the premises you claim.

The theories expressed in the text might be exactly spot on, but as someone that has worked with computer graphis for over 10 years, I have to say it - the origins of the text is not what you portray it to be.

Clearly:

1. None of the texture of the paper is visible through the letters in the text, as would not be the case had the text been typed using a typewriter.

2. The font used on the images is with 100% certainty called "Trebuchet" and, it should be mentioned, has been included in every version of Microsoft Windows since at least the late 90's. The size is approx. 18.

This means that if a user on a Windows system installs an image treatment software such as Adobe Photoshop, the Trebuchet font is available for use in that software.

Trebuchet example

Example #2 of Trebuchet font, using the font option in ATS

3. The sharpness, or rather the lack of it, of the paper, including its edges, is not even close to matching that of the text. This would NOT be case had the documents been scanned.

4. Anyone familiar with using text in computer graphics software will confirm that the text is produced using "anti-alias" technology; that is, its edges has been smudged to prevent and reduce harsh edges.

5. The angles of the text area is not nearly close to matching the angles of the paper.

This also would very hardly be the case if using a typewriter - HOWEVER - it indeed would be the case if inserting text to a scanned paper using computer graphics software, and not taking the time to carefully alter a proper rotation angle of the text after having pasted it.

6. The colour, light, contrast and texture of the text is by far too uniform through the entire document - as would definetly not be the case would they have been scanned with the text already on them.

I will mention I get as surprised every time I come upon something like this; and I fail to grasp the motivation behind such action. Mental illness and/or the suggested continuous and gradual, for various reasons, governmental pollution of the ufology community with fraudelent material just doesn't seem to do it all of the time.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Who cares about the grammer especially if our future is going to be like that in the film Idiocracy.. God i hope that isn't our future

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Maybe this kid who originally posted was killed for his grandfather's actions of leaking this information.

That would explain his long absence in the thread and then sudden change of thought.

Hmm?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO
I love how every post trying to call this a hoax only focuses on the visual aspect of it.. we've had numerous people confirm that all things listed are possible... yet no responses to those posts. I'm not surprised....

Well, go ahead and what you think it means to the subject, rather than simply making a snipe at the critics. Go ahead. What's your opinion? That it's real and true information presented in an obviously bogus document? Explain it to us.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by joecamel
It's fake. No government issued manual to teach people about how to time travel would misspell "personnel" and open with "the want to travel through time was a lovely desire."

Maybe in the future, the English language has evolved and changed so that these are not errors in whatever time this might be from? Spellings variate and change all the time.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Since some can't remain civil and post accordingly.

This thread is temporarily closed, pending staff review.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO

Well, go ahead and what you think it means to the subject, rather than simply making a snipe at the critics. Go ahead. What's your opinion? That it's real and true information presented in an obviously bogus document? Explain it to us.

That's not what I meant.
It's the people that come in here, state that it's only one way and can't possibly be the other, they don't give reasoning on their opinions, and they aren't open to hearing others.

THOSE are the people who don't belong here.

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join