It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX]Is my Grandfather a time traveler or a joker?[HOAX]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

LOL! I didn't think of that. It's either that, or fish evolve into less slimy creatures that you'd actually consider hugging.

[edit on 15/8/2008 by Batmanatee]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

i think many of you are missing the point that is being put forth:

the guys grandfather is from the future and got stranded here.

the font is not going to look like a typewriter, unless you propose that they scrapped the word processor for the old IBM typewriter.

The manual looks like a work of fiction, not a manual. but it is interesting nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
If this was from the future, I doubt they would have used a printed manual, and if they did it would at least be fire resistant or something..

Anyways, to me this looks like a practical joke, but not from grandfather to family, but more like the type a corporation would play on its employees. But who knows, gonna keep an eye on this one.

Maybe his grandfather altered the time line to a point that in the future, it is spelled cuddle

According to the manual that's not possible

Maybe a new species?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
after 2 world wars I would think technology would disadance and they would suffice with the little that they had.
sounds like they had a war with another planet aswell
if this was real, makes 2008 sound like the begining of the end.
the goverment is on to you btw

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
IBM5000?

Incredible story, and I suppose it is entirely possible that after a couple devastating world wars people have lost some of their grammatical expertise.

If your grandfather was a TT and he was stuck in this timeline, it is possible that he could have copied the material years ago from a document that was nearly destroyed.

Have the paper analyzed asap, get several copies and distribute them to various people you trust, send one to Springer and be very careful as the way they spoke it sounds like other TT have the go ahead to kill anyone that gets in the way of the missions, even their own ancestors.

On a personal note, do you think that your Grandfather was a TT? Could you ask your Grandma and your Mom or Dad questions about this?

What did your Mom think when you shared this with her?

Also how much more of the manual is left to read? Is there anything you are leaving out that may be significant?

I LOVE this thread! S@F and I will be back.

Hurry and get your 20 posts so that you may receive private U2u's.

Edit to say, did you catch the part about the various species you could encounter? I wondered if it meant our planet is or could be occupied by different species of humans or aliens at some time in history?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by antar]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
According to page 2 time has mass.

Unfortunately what looked like a promising hoax, turned into a black hole which collapses from the weight of it's own illiteracy.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a "cuddlefish" huh?
Thought provoking read, but no way. If ppl had time travelled... they would have proof (material or knowledge) of specific events and most likely they would be wealthy

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Interesting how you said that your Grandfathers death was 'mundane'.
An odd choice of words for someone that just passed away. So looking at the dictionary I find this:
3.Mundane***of or pertaining to the world, universe, or earth.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Mundane to many also means normal or usual/ ordinary, I.E. Old age/Natural Causes...etc. Rather than Unmundane which could include accidental or homicide.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
What a great read. Waaaay past my bedtime but I couldn't stop reading. Star and flag to the OP.

That said, I really thought I'd found an original ATS gem but then the spelling, grammar, syntax, etc. began to break through in a way that made the story seem less likely to be true. The notations need some clarification. Like why did he get stuck here? What went wrong? Why are there missing pages? I would think if you're travelling through time with a new technology in which you could inadvertently wipe out the human race, you might take better care of the instruction book.

Still, I very much enjoyed the story, OP. Thanks for sharing it with us.

As for your request to help you unravel the mystery-have you found any devices that you can't identify? Are there any notes on the pages you have that might indicate where such a device would be located? Sounds like there's some sort of self-destruct to any TT devices that might be compromised by its discovery. Did your grandfather ever mention what his mission was? What is a "P list"?

On a side note, I find it a little suspicious that you would be given something considered so important by your grandfather without your mother even knowing what it was. Speaking as a woman and a mother, curiosity alone would compel most women/moms to at least look at what it was before just saying, "oh, you can have it. it's probably nothing much."
That's one of those details of insight into human nature that an inexperienced male writer might not consider when constructing an otherwise good yarn.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Great first post, btw, and welcome to ATS.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I am so thrilled at what could come tomarrow

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Couple of observations.
1) Page 8 is torn and the torn part is heavily darkened by burning. It's not on the outside of the manual but an internal page.
2) Page 10 is also torn but the "tear" looks clearer/whiter than the rest of the page and not as "aged" as the rest of the paper.
3) Page 11, the folded insertion, is also torn in the upper right hand corner and, like page 10, is without burn marks.

The proximity of the pages within the interior of the manual to each other would suggest that if page 8 was heavily burned, then pages 10 and 11 would at least be somewhat darkened. None of the pages before or after 8 show signs of fire or smoke damage except to the edges.

4) The most compelling observation that leads me to call this (as you suggested) "grade A bullcrap" is the front page. You said you had read it prior to scanning it for our enjoyment, yet there is no crease where you had folded the pages back while reading. Since you obviously folded the pages back to scan, there should now be a crease.

I've been reading since I taught myself to read at 3 years old and I can tell you that people who prize books as I do, do not fold pages back like that, especially on "valuable" documents. It would be a simple matter to remove the staples, scan the individual pages for uploading, then restaple if need be. And, as another poster pointed out, the staples are a bit shiney for an aged document that has undergone a fire hazard.

Other than these minor glitches, you obviously went to a great deal of effort to present a fairly well-constructed hoax. I think you have a future as a collaborative writer on ATS and I look forward to more of your literary efforts. Keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
These images are without a doubt fake. I have a good bit of experience with editing graphics (as in I've made decent money doing it) and can spot many problems with these pictures right away.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
If your story is genuine, be careful.
As someone put it, the government is on to you.

I'm not normally a paranoid person... but if your story is genuine you need to do a few things:
1. Make sure your login info for ATS isn't associated with you.
2. Start using programs to hide your IP address
3. Don't give out identifying information like where you live your name etc etc

I personally would also take down the photos if they are real. Then, you can post them for short periods of time for us to view. I don't know if this is against forum guidelines, or if there's a better method.

Perhaps some of the careful posters here could share some tips!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoveKnowledge
These images are without a doubt fake. I have a good bit of experience with editing graphics (as in I've made decent money doing it) and can spot many problems with these pictures right away.

Name some problems
Or should we accept your unfounded opinions as fact because you've had a vague "good bit" of experience?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Why I think this is fake:

1) The pages have been burnt on the edges and one in the middle. The rest is intact and shows no sign of damage. This looks like a clear attempt to make it look that the paper is 'aged', and has been done by an amateur.

2) The second last image shows the page which has damaged by water. The damage, if you notice looks like modern day printer printed pages which has been blotted by water. All modern day government manuals are ALWAYS printed with water proof ink. Try it yourself. Wet a government document, nothing is going to happen.

I conclude this is a HOAX by the OP trying to use sympathy by involving a dead grandfather.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
easily tested, aside from all the discrepancies noted so far.

What is your grandfathers full name and date of birth.

If a brith certificate exists or other proof exists of dear ole gramps before say his 21st birthday, then this bucket has a lot of holes in it.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I can not see a Government document being printed one by one on a liquid ink printer like this was. Larger organizations use toner printers. Its cheaper to print in bulk with toner its much faster and it is water proof.

They color print the front picture and attach it to each booklet?
Government saves time It would probably have been a xeroxed picture on a piece of paper if anything.

President Gregory has terrible writing and unless this was his personal copy the person that did the rest of the writing forged his name the writing looks the same to me in the diagrams and the signature. Especially how he goes back over some letters.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Lophorus]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Tegmondy

just looking at it but why is it burned? from the front page the paper in the middle looks aged differently then the rest. this also looks like it was hand typed on a typewriter not like something that was distributed via a printing press like manuals. the paper is tea colored hinting that your grandfather may have been able to get one more chuckle out of people after his passing. Cant blame him I would like my last impression on people to be a smile and not tears.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join