It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX]Is my Grandfather a time traveler or a joker?[HOAX]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
See admission here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

A few days ago my Grandfather died of a heart attack. Ok, sad yea, quite mundane in fact, but what he left behind is incredibly odd.

He left behind a key to his old small chest, which he gave to my family during the days before he died in the hospital. The chest, as he said, was very important. he never said what, but I figured it was a ring, or money, or some antique.

Then my mother said I could keep it, and that it probably wasn't that important.

When I opened it, It was a book. When I first read it, I though it was a prank. My Grandfather did a few pranks in his day, so I assumed he'd want to go out with one too. It said "manual" and then there was a logo, and then some "Standard Issue" notice. I figured maybe something from the space race. But when I opened it, it started explaining theories about time travel and how to do it.

This was too complex to be a prank, or at least I think. I'm no expert on space time sciences or physics, so I can't tell if this is grade A bullcrap or Einstein's personal log.

So, I scanned the images, and I want you people to please tell me. It makes an interesting read, and it's well preserved (although seems to suffer from some age marks and what appears to be burning marks.

I'd like some of the people here to confirm to me weather or not this is real or a prank on behalf of my Grandfather.

Most interesting is a piece of paper folded inside of it, seemingly picturing a time traveling device, and the bending of space.

Note: They were resized in Gimp because they were too large to be uploaded to image shack.

Big images, right click & open a new tab to see full.

Page 1, front cover. 3 faded stamps and one signature.

The rest of the pages

And the folded diagrams

I'm off to sleep, but please help decipher this while I sleep. Thanks

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Tegmondy]

[edit on 1-24-2009 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well, that is very interesting.

What do you know about the signature "President" someone on the front page?
Perhaps this name can be googled and more info can be found out.

One thing to take into account.... There is very little reason that someone would lie on their deathbed.
Regardless if someone is a prankster or not, deathbed confessions are usually candid and very important.

I have no doubt that your grandfather believed that this book was real, which is one reason it was locked away and given to you at this important time.

Thanks for including us!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Does this document have a date ?
The fonts look very computer generated , not what one would expect from a typewriter

edit to add , thanks for uploading .

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Max_TO]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It is certainly very interesting. Haven't read it all yet but I will.

A few question I would ask are, what kind of work was your grandfather in?
Was he a writer? Did he work for the Government? If so which department? Did he ever talk about anything along these lines at all while he was alive?

Also, I am curious about the 'burnt' edges of the documents. They look like my 6th grade assignment where I tried to make documents look old. Was it saved from a fire and how old are the docs?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I'll bet that if you send a page of that manual in to Springer he'll quickly be able to determine whether it's genuine or not.

Personally, I think it screams of nonsense...but maybe that's only because there've been so many time-wasting hoaxes posted on here recently.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
WHoooaaa.

Thats some interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Interesting stuff. Is it just odd that the Preisdent's initials are G.A.G. ?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It's fake. No government issued manual to teach people about how to time travel would misspell "personnel" and open with "the want to travel through time was a lovely desire."

If your story is true, then your grandfather must have been a blast, and this is probably the most amazing thing he could have ever left for you. If you're making the grandfather story up to try and lend this some credence, then rewrite the manual, because until I opened the second image, I was 100% sold (that insignia is awesome).

My condolences, or keep up the good work, depending on which of those is true.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think none of us should jump to any conclusions here. Lets investigate further. Why could the OP not shrink the images and post complete pages? I would love to see the entire manual.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm not buying it. I think the blackness of the font is a giveaway. I think the ITALICS used are a giveaway that it was recently printed on a computer. Also, it's supposed to be a monospace font, but it's not monospace.

I'm comparing the font to a film script I've got that was typed up in the 70's on an IBM Selectric typewriter.

I'll risk being offensive and state my opinion that I think this is just a hoax.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
You forgot to shade the pages. There's no depth in the letters. And like the other guy said the computer lettering is tell tale sign. Unless he used to time machine to go to the future to write on a computer and print it out in a book...???

It's too straight..

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
One of the neatest things I read in that "manual" was the one about how there were two methods of time travel, one that resulted in an alternate universe, where doing whatever you wanted had absolutely no effect in our own, or the other, where what you did absolutely affected our universe. That's pretty original.

My guess is this is an elaborate prank, and I will say this: Your grandfather missed his calling as a writer.

One other thing: Scan this as a .pdf document, and post it somewhere. It makes for a fun read! (in a science fiction way).

[edit on 15-8-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I just finished reading it. This is great stuff! I don't really believe it, but it is one of the most interesting reads since John Titor's posts. Please give us more! Make the thing a pdf and post, and tell more about your grandfathers history and life.

If the grandfather's story is true, then he must have been a heck of a guy to hang around. If the poster did all this on his own, kudos, I hope you can make this story go as far as the Titor one and you can make some big money from the movie/series rights.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
A. If this were true, maybe they do have that font in the future, to where he went back in time , some how got the booklet caught on fire, stapled it back together as a memory.

B. Grampa had a sense of humor,

C. Like Napoleon Dynamite move he tried buying a time machine off the internet and forgot the crystals which caught the manual on fire when he turned it on. Then locked it up so no one else would realize he spent money on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thats a pretty shiny new looking staple in the top left hand corner of the first pic.... Also IF it is the original staple why isn't there any fold marks??

I'm not convinced

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Chadwickus]

link   
Just to point out... On the 3rd page, it states, after WW3, 22 years of peace followed. In the 2030's every one started fighting again.

That places WW3 between 2008 and 2017. Fun times.

But, some of the sentence structure… no organization trying to be serious would write like that. Great story.. but when I read it, it becomes less believable.

link   
I'm hooked. I suggest you read this crazy book from front to back and absorb all of it. For whatever reason, your granddad kept this book in a chest. Who knows why? I'd love to read it when you're through with it. :p

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
While I'm sorry for your loss, I have to say I think the document is most likely a hoax, which, if perpetrated by your grandfather, makes him sound like he was a lot of fun, and completely hilarious.

As for the document, I'm sorry, but the grammar is terrible, and I laughed outright when I read that the first thing they sent through time was a 'cuddle fish' (3rd paragraph in the 4th image linked in the OP). Do you think they meant 'cuttlefish'?

Link

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Batmanatee
As for the document, I'm sorry, but the grammar is terrible, and I laughed outright when I read that the first thing they sent through time was a 'cuddle fish' (3rd paragraph in the 4th image linked in the OP). Do you think they meant 'cuttlefish'?

Link

Maybe his grandfather altered the time line to a point that in the future, it is spelled cuddle

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I used to make paper documents look old when I was a child using lemonade (I think) and an oven. I believe this will turn the paper brown. Burning the edges with a lighter gives it additional effect. So the aging on the document looks fake. Perhaps your grandfather was our infamous John Titor? Sounds like a fun guy nonetheless.

The computer font argument isn't very valid considering this is from the future. To me it seems more valid as to why this document isn't in e-ink or some other reusable paper technology.

Best regards,

Obsidience

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join