It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If trends continue, we'll all be fat in 40 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

If trends continue, we'll all be fat in 40 years

www.msnbc.msn.com

If the trends of the past three decades continue, it’s possible that every American adult could be overweight 40 years from now, a government-funded study projects.

“Genetically and physiologically, it should be impossible” for all U.S. adults to become overweight, said Dr. Lan Liang of the federal government’s Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, one of the researchers on the study.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This is really disturbing to me. That we are at the threshold of becoming a predominantly over-weight society says something about us as a nation.

It is a pretty startling fact that should alert us to the host of issues facing us as a 'people'. That there are some fundamental flaws in the way we live our lives that need to be evaluated and improved upon in order to restore basic health.

There are a few basics I would cite as problematic such as processed foods, corn syrup, and lack of physical activity but for this kind of epidemic I would have to think there are many other factors at play that I am simply unaware of.

I am curious if others perceive this as a problem and if so what do you think is at the root of it? If you do not think that this is a problem for our nation, why not?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sorry, but just the fact that this report says that EVERY American will be fat in 40 years, means its not credible in my opinion.

There is absolutely no way that every American will be fat. There will always be:

1) Athletes
2) Anorexics
3) Health-concious people
4) Body builders
5) Aerobic Instructors
6) Lap Band Surgeries
7) Druggies

I don't see how ALL Americans will be fat, and liberal use of all encompassing vocabulary just points to how unscientific this report actually is.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The obesity epidemic has peaked.Heart disease deaths are down.
You see once human beings realize something, which is hard to get through to most in the begining.Then they do something about it.But not until then.
Obesity is down and, deaths from obesity related illness is down.
Not by much, but in the last 4 years it has dropped.
People don't want to be obese, and they don't want to die of obesity related illness's.
So they have lost weight, changed lifestyles, and paid lots of money for modern medicine to fix there illness's.
I think in 50 years obesity will be declining rapidly.
And of course, it will be something else becoming an epidemic.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This topic has already been posted:

All U.S. adults could be overweight in 40 years

Please continue discussion in the above-linked thread, and please read the section about repeat topics in this link.
Closed.

top topics

join