It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion: New HOAX and Reporting System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I have reposted here as the original post was in the wrong place and died a death accordingly.

UFO Sighting/Alien Encounter Posts

ATS is swamped/blessed with posts where the OP is reporting a UFO sighting/alien encounter.

Unfortunately it usually takes around 3 or 4 pages of questioning and an onslaught of ad hominem responses before we actually start to get a clear picture of what actually happened with some of the relevant facts.

It is usually at this stage that these posts are then labelled by the ATS Mods as a hoax while some turn out to inconclusive and are therefore left open to discussion.

The first point to this post is that ATS has the technology to speed up the process and add quality and clarity to the original post. This could be done by creating a post template using the same process that any poster needs to adopt when reporting breaking news items.

The template would require the OP to include the following fields (possibly mandatory) prior to submitting the post. The following have been raised from Gazrok's list as it was comprehensive and impressive
:

Date of sighting?
Time of sighting (include time zone, am or pm)?
How long did the sighting last?
City, state of sighting (or nation, province, etc.)?
How many other witnesses?
Just lights, or shape discernable?
Color of lights and/or object/s?
Number of lights and/or objects?
Apparent altitude?
Direction of travel?
Apparent brightness?
Path of travel (straight, curved, etc.)?
Any pictures or video?
Any sound?
Any aircraft around?
Can you illustrate what was seen (if no photos, video, etc.)? (even MS paint can be used to illustrate where things were during a sighting, etc.)

By providing all of this information in the original post ATS members will enjoy quality information in the first post rather than having to wait for all and sundry to fire out the right questions in a sometimes gruelling interrogation over a matter of days/pages of posts.

Another point worthy of mention is the current HOAX tag system. I appreciate the work that the Mods do and how difficult the task is to sometimes make the call on HOAX posts. Actually, some posts are apparently quite easy to call while others can be evasive and cause consternation when finally branded HOAX.

Maybe I am wrong but I have a feeling that there are some HOAX-labelled posts on ATS that not every member agrees is actually a hoax.

So we have two potential problems: The Mod's job/decision and Members opinion.

These problems can be resolved efficiently and satisfactorily with a new HOAX rating system.

This system would be based on the Flag technology already doing a fantistic job on the site.

Essentially, there would be 2 buttons on the thread: HOAX / BELIEVABLE. As members vote the scores would be published as (example) HOAX: 79% / BELIEVABLE: 21%.

This saves Mods from any bashing and criticism and it also factors in the opinion of those members who believe it to be plausible. The opinion could also be left open so that you could change from HOAX to BELIEVABLE (or vice versa) should you wish to do so as the thread progresses.

I believe that these changes would thoroughly enhance the ATS experience by adding quality, clarity and a democratic platform of opinion on a category of posts that has, without doubt, the potential to be the most exciting and important on the web.

This isn't a dig guys - this is a great site and you do a fantastic job already.

[edit on 2/8/2008 by skibtz]

[edit on 2/8/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As always I don't know how difficult it would be to implement your ideas, but I think they are good ideas, especially the template one.

If nothing else, having to make up all those details and fill out a long form might deter some of the casual hoaxers.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It would be good to actually get some feedback from the owners or mods on this.

Anyone body there?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
As always I don't know how difficult it would be to implement your ideas, but I think they are good ideas, especially the template one.

If nothing else, having to make up all those details and fill out a long form might deter some of the casual hoaxers.

That is absolutely right Heike.

Who would want to sit down and provide such concise information?

I would suggest someone who has a genuine sighting to report perhaps.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike

That is absolutely right Heike.

Who would want to sit down and provide such concise information?

I would suggest someone who has a genuine sighting to report perhaps.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Form looked good.

Some refinements?

Have a few of those mandatory (we can vote)

Have a place for pics or drawings. (To me drawings are almost as good as pics as far as helping the OP deal with his/her sighting)

Fill that form out and click 'ok' to get access to the 'reporting forum'.

Then if a troll came in we'd say 'ok, cool, but go make an entry and then we'll discuss your case.' No entry, thread is closed.

YMMV, 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Form looked good.

Some refinements?

Have a few of those mandatory (we can vote)

Have a place for pics or drawings. (To me drawings are almost as good as pics as far as helping the OP deal with his/her sighting)

Fill that form out and click 'ok' to get access to the 'reporting forum'.

Then if a troll came in we'd say 'ok, cool, but go make an entry and then we'll discuss your case.' No entry, thread is closed.

YMMV, 2 cents.

Absolutely Badge01

A new Reporting Forum would be a valuable addition that would help to weed out hoaxers due to the extra work required to put in report.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i guess the template you suggest would also speed up the discussion, coz usually most of the information will be asked in the first 3-5 pages of a thread!
all the sightings not judged to be hoaxes could be much more easily compared to each other

problem i see is how to make people use such a template
guess most times they are really overwealmed!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
hi orange-light

You are absolutely right, the form would speed up the process of information sharing ten-fold.

The fact that the form takes time time to fill will put off some hoaxers and the inclusion of mandatory items would be a definate.

There has been a rash of hoaxes recently, mainly due to the kids being on holidays, so the time is right to get a system in place that encourages honest, noteworthy sightings to be reported using an adequate system.

I am very surprised that none of the ATS posse have commented on this post.

The fact is that by using the template system, ATS could actually compile a database of very credible, well-documented and immensly important sightings that could be the start of an amazing online experience.

The ATS Online Sightings Catalogue system could prove to be the new research tool of choice for any one interested in the subject.

All of this with the added bonus of the new HOAX/BELIEVABLE rating system that gives an instant, true refelction of what ATS members believe could be a fantastic change for ATS.

It would take a little time but it could work. I am sure we could put together a volunteer group who would be willing to transpose all previous sightings post to the new template format.

Any comment ATS?

[edit on 4/8/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We thank you for sharing your ideas with the intent of making ATS a better more user friendly place. The staff and owners do appreciate member feedback and have always considered your thoughts and wishes when making changes to the board. So thank you for caring so much about this community that you created this thread.

By keeping all member suggestions in one place it allows staff and owners the ability to quickly and thoroughly access all member recommendations when considering board changes. Otherwise many suggestions will be very difficult to locate considering the size of this board.

Understanding that we would appreciate it if you would add your thoughts/recommendations to the official thread dedicated to members suggestions for board change.

ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

Thanks for your contributions and understanding. I will now close this thread for the reasons stated above.

Thanks,
ATS Staff

>>Closing

top topics

join