It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Company pays for solar power installation on your home...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
And you just pay them your electric bill.

They pay for installation, maintenance, etc. And you just pay them your electric bill.

I think this is a brilliant idea. I know a lot of people would love to put solar power on their home, but can't afford the massive expense.

This company does it for you, and you pay them the utility bill in a locked 25 year rate.

AND

if you use less power, you get the money for the power you didn't use.So you get money back.

Am I allowed to post the link to the company?

Anywhoo,

If you had the option of this, would you consider it?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
yes i would

pm me the link? or post it

-

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I wish...

But we have snow 6 months out of the year and it piles up on the roof, and then ices over a lot. Wouldn't work at our location, unless it was on like a pole or something which could have the snow brushed off easily.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Oh i just told my wife about this and she said WOW! So i would love to have the link. We have our house already payed for and been thinking of doing solar power to it.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Whats the catch? How do they know how much energy you use?

I'd be interested in a link. will they be doing this in Canada or just the US?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
EDIT: sorry for the double post(firefox resend error)

[edit on 7/26/2008 by Bumr055]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Bumr055: It would use a power meter just like the one you already have. I would also imagine that you would still be hooked up to the grid in most cases (this allows them to sell excess power back to the utility and it also provides redundancy in the system).

I recall reading a press release from a company gearing up to do this about 2 years ago. Not sure if the one you mention is the same one but I'll try to dig up the info later tonight if I can still find it.

One thing to should keep in mind, these companies are likely to offer a competitive rate per KWH (and the price would be locked in which is good) but the overall savings is not likely to be huge. After all, these companies still need to pay for the equipment and make a profit from whats left. As I recall, what they were offering at the time was only a few cents cheaper per KWH than what I was already paying through my utility. Any savings is good savings but I doubt you could expect to cut your bill in half.

The overall benefit here is that the energy is green.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Something just doesn't sit right with me about this. Sounds very much like the "locked gas rate" scam that was about a month ago.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Would work here in arizona where it is sun all year round.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
where is link?

we want link.

where link?

where.

-

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this one is the same as the OP mentioned or not (there are a few similar companies...) but here is a link to the one I was talking about before. The company is called Citizenrē, and their residential solar program is called REnU.

It's hard to say if they will be successful or not (especially since they are relying on a sales model similar to network marketing), but it's definitely an interesting idea. The catch will be whether or not they are able to secure the loans which they need to build their production facility. With the economy tanking and the banks all in turmoil, getting a half billion dollar loan is not as easy as it used to be. Add the fact that it's an unproven business model and they have a significant challenge on their hands.

I could see this taking a nosedive before it's all said and done but you never know...

There has been tons of articles and discussion on the company since it was announced, just hit up google or wikipedia for more information on what people seem to think about them.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is the link. I just wasn't sure if it was breaking protocol or something.

renu.citizenre.com...

the other link that redirects you is:

www.jointhesolution.org

Solar power can be used anywhere. I don't think it doesn't matter the amount of sunlight you get.

In fact some of the bigger residential solar power users are in very northern countries. (still trying to find the info for you).

I told my mother about this, she is defintely going to check it out.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm just wondering how this compares to buying one flat out??

Anyone have anything to compare it to?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Just checked where I live, not available. Too bad.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

I know that it is really expensive, because you have to retrofit the whole house. I want to say 20 - 25k. but I could be wrong.

If it was cheaper, I am sure a lot more people would be doing it.

new topics

top topics

join