It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apes in Europe could get same legal rights as humans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spock Shock
Thats wicked if they are our closest genetic relative then they should be exposed to the way we live, sooner or later they'll evolve to grow up possibly even understand English and other things us humans are exposed too...

Kinda neat... i'd love to see apes kickin in the hood on my stoop!

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Spock Shock]

www.youtube.com...

Ok it isnt *really* talking etc....but still pretty cool....apes couldnt talk anyway,sign language would be a great way...or one of these machines..again,i dont think apes should *be* human like....but i think they could have a bit of our culture,they absorb culture and pass it on much like we do...nothing wrong with that imo...but they should still live like apes...

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This is utter stupidity. What if an ape is given "freedom of movement"? There is no total guarantee that it will not go wild and hurt humans.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
I don't think something should be a given a right unless it is able to understand what a right is, or at least has the potential to learn.

Children will grow up and learn these things, apes, monkeys, chimps, etc. will not. They will just do the same things they did whether they had rights or not, it is a waste. Treat them nicely unless they attack or endanger you, but I don't see how they deserve rights?!?

The other apes in this little family of ours do, of course, have to capacity to learn, some have even learned english, through sign language.

As for your second point, i think you'll find that it is in fact we who are endangering them. At over six billion of us, i think we could take the losses if they did attack

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

Thats wicked if they are our closest genetic relative then they should be exposed to the way we live, sooner or later they'll evolve to grow up possibly even understand English and other things us humans are exposed too...

www.youtube.com...

Ok it isnt *really* talking etc....but still pretty cool....apes couldnt talk anyway,sign language would be a great way...or one of these machines..again,i dont think apes should *be* human like....but i think they could have a bit of our culture,they absorb culture and pass it on much like we do...nothing wrong with that imo...but they should still live like apes...

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Lethil]

As i said in an earlier post, visit www.koko.org

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by homo_borg
This is utter stupidity. What if an ape is given "freedom of movement"? There is no total guarantee that it will not go wild and hurt humans.

If given "freedom of movement" one's feels very sure that they would pick something like thier "natural environment" i.e. the jungle. I think you forget, it wasn't their choice they left in the first place. "Dragged kicking and screaming" springs to mind.
Which brings us neatly to your second point, who's hurting who here?.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Do animals have the ability to be rational? If not, they don't deserve rational rights. I love animals, but this is about as silly as the thread I read the other day about kids in Europe being called racist for saying "yuck" to a foreign food.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
Do animals have the ability to be rational? If not, they don't deserve rational rights. I love animals, but this is about as silly as the thread I read the other day about kids in Europe being called racist for saying "yuck" to a foreign food.

Well humans are animals...can we be rational? yes...but we can also be irrational at times...so that doesnt really hold up to what rights should be given to *insert here*...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
If they migrated the Briatin they would get a free house and council tax, and if they had babies because they could get more Bananas then they will make more babies to help the sytem work. Cool, my new neigbour will be an ape.

Hahahaha, nice one mate. Give me a good giggle did that one. Sad thing is it's true.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

In the history of the Earth, only about a dozen large animals were successfully domesticated. Even in modern times, we've been unable to domesticate those that our ancestors failed to. While some animals can be tamed to an extent, they can't be reliably integrated into human society. So, yeah, apes aren't going to be kickin' it in the hood anytime soon.

I'm curious about what they taste like though. I've always wanted to eat a person, but social taboos about acquiring corpses have prevented that. If apes are so genetically related to us, maybe eating one would alleviate my curiosity to some extent.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

Well humans are animals...can we be rational? yes...but we can also be irrational at times...so that doesnt really hold up to what rights should be given to *insert here*...

We have the ability to be rational. That is why, although we are technically animals, we are different. As far as I know, no other animal has even the capacity, so why waste time giving them things they simply do not have the capability to ever understand?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise

I'm curious about what they taste like though. I've always wanted to eat a person, but social taboos about acquiring corpses have prevented that. If apes are so genetically related to us, maybe eating one would alleviate my curiosity to some extent.

Sorry for the one liner but....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join