It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern tithing is a false concept!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
NOTE I AM NOT BASHING CHRISTIANITY.

My parents are die hard christians, and they are always telling me how 10 percent of what I make is rightfully gods. I am not a christian but it gets really old going to these churches with my parents and always hearing how all of the members should give 10 percent to the church because it's commanded in the bible.

Well guess what? No where in the new testament does it ever give a set percentage of money that you should give to the church. The ten percent thing is purely an old testament concept.

The christians don't still sacrifice animals (of which i'm aware of) so why do they still insist on preaching the 10% idea?

Maybe the churches are greedy? Maybe they know the members wouldn't give as much money if they actually knew it wasn't gods law?

Thoughts please.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Tithing in ancient Israel was form of Tax that was received by the Levites and the poor. It was a tax that consisted of 10% of ones livestock and harvest. It only happened Once every three years. Its primary purpose was to feed people.

Tithing in its modern form as understood by Christian churches is not Bibilically accurate. In fact Tithing was not even accepted by the Catholic Church until the 8th Century!

Since the Temple in Jerusalem is gone, technically that should mean any tithe should go to just the poor.

When you have finished tithing all the tithes of your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give [them] to the Levite, the stranger, the orphan, and the widow, so that they can eat to satiety in your cities. (Deuteronomy 26:12)

So if you want to follow actual Biblical tradition, Help Feed the Needy, the Poor, and Helpless!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yeah exactly. I think the churches brought it back just to make more money. Alot of the churches I had to go to would say you should give 10% out of every paycheck.

Every church I have been to preaches this concept. Jesus did not mention a set amount that you should give. I'm pretty sure all he wanted the people to do was to give cheerfully.

The sad part about this is, alot of people I know have actually been worse off since they start tithing. The money they give to the church was usually used to feed their family or what not.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I know a number of people who have put themselves in debt and missed paying bills to give so called "tithes" to churches. That misses the whole purpose of the tithe, which is to help people.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
While no fan of churches, they do of course support many charitable practices, so the justification for tithing to support the needy can be found in scripture (as was previously posted), but the church acts as the agency of dispersion for such aid.

Christians are not alone in the tithing act, nearly every major religion has this in some form or another....just call it different names.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Some churches help the poor and needy, but when was the last time you ever heard of a Church using all of its Tithes to help the needy?

The last I checked they like to use tithes to build expensive buildings with strange phallic spires and then decorate them with idol like crosses that still have Jesus on the cross. That in itself is a whole other topic like "Why is Jesus still on the Cross?"

The Charismatic churches with their prosperity ministries are the Worst offenders. G-d never said tithe to build Creationist museums, amusement parks, ranches, buy airplanes, make movies and CDs.

The whole point is to Feed People.

[edit on 20/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'd agree, but yes, a certain amount should go to the upkeep and betterment of facilities. If it gets too ostentatious, then yes, the flock should speak up, but from personal observations, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.... (and this is from someone who is very anti-organized religion)... Still, I don't deny the good they often do in the community....for the most part.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

orlike benny hinn who has a multi million dollar home and fancy ass car and what have you

preachers should not be making as much as they make, it should be an honor to be able to preach the word of god and have an understanding through that you are able to pass teachings to people

not make a fortune on it at all

live in humility, or some #e

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well, according to Jesus in Matthew 23:23 (emphasis mine):

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

In 1 Corinthians 9:13-14, the Bible says:

Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

This indicates that somehow pastors and the like are to earn their living by doing what they're doing -- preaching. Therefore, the congregation is who should be paying their salary via giving. In addition to that, in Acts 2, the church begins where all the believers gave what they had to be apportioned as any had need -- they didn't give 10%, they gave 100%!

Also, in Galatians 6:6, Paul seems to be making reference to Deuteronomy, as well as supporting the statement in 1 Corinthians 9 I quoted above:

Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

The passage from Deuteronomy 26:11-12, emphasis mine again:

And you and the Levites and the aliens among you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household. When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

It's not certain, but considering Paul's knowledge of the old testament, in particular the law, it is unlikely that this was an accident.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

Just to think that John the Baptist, Jesus, the Apostles and the Seventy disciples had little to nothing. The ones that had wealth gave up everything to minister.

That does not sound like modern pastors and ministers to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

You took Acts out of context. The early disciples gave up everything not to who was preaching but in a communal manner. The early Church itself was a Monastic Commune.

"And all that believed were together and had all things common and sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need." (Acts 2:44-45)

"No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had." (Acts 4:32)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I didn't say it went to the preachers, but (emphasis added to my quote to point out what may have been missed) "the church begins where all the believers gave what they had to be apportioned as any had need".

And that doesn't address the rest of the scripture...

Speaking of which, where do you get the idea that Jesus was poor? Yes, He said He only had a rock upon which to lay His head, but at the same time, Judas, who was in charge of the money, would consistently steal from it (how, if there was no money to take?), and when Jesus was going to feed the 5,000, the disciples told him the cost of buying food for everyone, not that it couldn't be done. Where do you suppose that money came from?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

The Church had money, I am not disputing that. I would assume that the money came from the Apostles, Joseph of Arimathea, Nicodemus, Mary Magdalene, and possibly even the gifts of the Magi.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Just to think that John the Baptist, Jesus, the Apostles and the Seventy disciples had little to nothing. The ones that had wealth gave up everything to minister.

That does not sound like modern pastors and ministers to me.

yeah and even jesus had a real job, he was a carpenter

i love the part in last crusade where the guy drinks from the wrong cup
OT yes but it was cool for time

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Further proof that religion is a scam designed to control/brainwash people. Freud said that Religion was purposefully created by power elites to influence people by taking advantage of their existential insecurities.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

One thing people fail to realize is what Jesus said about wealth. Modern ministers lifestyles seem to contradict everything taught.

16 And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
17 And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments." 18 He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
20 The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions. (Matthew 19:16-22)

17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except G-d alone.
19 You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother."
20 "Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22 At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
(Mark 10:17-22)

18 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except G-d alone.
20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother."
21 "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
23 When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth.
(Luke 18:18-23)

To be apart of Jesus' Church and Ministry one had to give up almost everything. He called for the members of the Church to become Monastic and Communal.

The Maaser Ani or Tithe commanded in the Torah is not the same as someone giving up everything they own to a monastic communal Church.

The Tithe is to help the Hungry. I just have to point that out again, before the thread turns into a debate over the Early Church.

new topics

top topics

join