It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

So, going on your figures, 95% of ATS members 'have it all wrong' when it comes to what types of foods we should be eating. Perhaps it is the other 5% who are, in fact, being misled by their code of ethics, if they are to suggest that meat eating is wrong.

If anyone chooses to be a vegetarian/vegan, I respect their decision. And I find it admirable that a person would choose to not eat animals flesh. I, however, thrive on a diet that includes meat and choose not to give it up. I tried the vegetarian diet for 6 months but became weak, vague and lethargic, as I wasn't obtaining all the necessary dietary requirements from the plant foods I was eating.

Vegetarian diets can be healthful in the short term, clearing out our digestive systems - a bit of a spring-clean if you will (fasting, from what I have read, was a common practice in ancient societies). However long term can lead to mineral and vitamin deficiencies if careful food combining practices are not implemented.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
People that eat meat have this death look in there eyes. Dark circles and just have a miserable clay colored appearance. Believe me I am one of them sometimes, but seeing the benefits of going veggie and not eating meat as well as fasting i can tell you I feel better when I deny the craving for a cheeseburger. It seems that our teeth and digestive tract are most like a cows more than anything, Why does the milk cow on the commercial flash a human smile? Fasting is of course the best way to live forever from what I have seen , but veggies are most alkaline and not acidic as meat tends to rot acidic inside our bumpy digestive tract. Carnivores digestive tract is smooth by the way. Eating meat is just a learned behavior and people will defend it fiercly as witnessed in this thread. Eating meat is primative in my opinion and I am guilty of it at times but am learning to choose live and veggie. Good thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davo163
Perhaps it is the other 5% who are, in fact, being misled by their code of ethics, if they are to suggest that meat eating is wrong.

I don't believe eating meat is wrong but factory farmed animals are treated as objects and inexcusably tortured, it is the only reason meat is so cheap right now.

The equilibrium would be better care of farm animals which would make meat more expensive.

People would be healthier because they would eat less meat.

The meat would also be better quality if they weren't treat so poorly. .

A connection between tortured meat and cancers exists.

I, however, thrive on a diet that includes meat and choose not to give it up. I tried the vegetarian diet for 6 months but became weak, vague and lethargic, as I wasn't obtaining all the necessary dietary requirements from the plant foods I was eating.

No reason this should happen if you eat right, you honestly don't even need supplements but it might help.

If you do it right you will actually have much more energy as eating meat really sedates you.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

Vegans live longer by 40 years than regular people and are 60% less likely to get a heart attack. Vegetarians fall between the 20 yr, 40% margin. So even though I miss the smell of BBq'd chicken and the taste of ribs I know the my body will live longer, stronger, and better off of my sushi, green tea, and pomegranet.

Longetivity in the US: 77 yrs
Longetivity in Japan: 83 yrs (it's predicted that this number will rise to 85 for men, 90 for women on average in 50 yrs.) Most Japanese eat little meat compared to the Americans excluding seafood (which is really good for you) and drink lots of green tea, which is why they're on the top of the list of longetivity, even if most Japs do smoke quite a lot nowadays.

Out of all the countries, Japan (specifically Okinawa) is the highest in longetivity in the world whereas out of all the continents, Africa is the least.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Cythraul

I tried the vegetarian diet for 6 months but became weak, vague and lethargic, as I wasn't obtaining all the necessary dietary requirements from the plant foods I was eating.

Then you most likely did it wrong. There are many ways to get what you need out of food from dairy products, nuts, plants, sea food, chicken, etc. You don't have to be a full blown vegi the next day if you're usually a carnivore, it's bad for your body if you go through such a rapid change. And to me it sounds like you intentionally starved yourself, you could buy protien drinks if you need the extra muscle. I've been a vegi since last January and feel ten times better (and happier) than the rest of the family, even if I do miss my ribs and steaks sometimes. Then again, some people can take being a vegitarien. No one is pushing you to become a one, but just giving you the lay down: it's much healthier for you, your body doesn't have to consume the poison companies put in meat, and you are one less human responsible for cruel animal farming.

"FIVE REASONS TO EAT MEAT:
1) It tastes good
2) It makes you feel good
3) It's a great American tradition
4) It supports the nation's farmers
5) Your parents did it

Oh, sorry ... those are five reasons to smoke cigarettes."

- www.time.com/time/covers/1101020715/story.html

Vegetarian diets can be healthful in the short term

Typo: long term.

Clearing out our digestive systems - a bit of a spring-clean if you will (fasting, from what I have read, was a common practice in ancient societies).

What the-?! That has nothing to do with being a vegetarian! ..I'm starting to smell a troll...

However long term can lead to mineral and vitamin deficiencies if careful food combining practices are not implemented.

Yeah, if you don't eat ...at all. Which is what you did.

There are no serious deficiencies (in fact there are more negatives to being a meat eater than a vegi), that's a meat eater's old wive's tale to get people to not become vegetarians. If you're referring to the vitamen B12, then..

"It has long been common knowledge that very few animals, if any, are physically capable of making their own B12. This follows that, in fact, scientists found B12 producing bacteria that were present in the soil and on plants.

Not only this, but our daily requirement is negligible amounts and we have a very efficient storing system of B12 in our liver, which gives rise to the fact our ancestors didn't retrieve their B12 from animals, but rather bacteria."

www.wisegeek.com/has-it-been-proven-that-a-vegetarian-diet-is-really-healthier.htm

And if you want to think about the life of the animals, know this:

"According to these numbers, some 52 billion animals are killed each year worldwide by the food industry. Only three countries (USA, China, Brazil) account for almost half of the worldwide slaughters.
Between the U.S. and China together they slaughter over 20 billion animals per year, as of 2003.

See below for a summary of the minimum 2003 worldwide slaughter estimates, by type of animal.

— 45,895 million (45.9 billion) chickens
— 2,262 million (2.3 billion) ducks
— 1,244 million (1.2 billion) pigs
— 857 million rabbits
— 691 million turkeys
— 533 million geese
— 515 million sheep
— 345 million goats
— 292 million cows and calves (for beef and veal)
— 65 million other rodents (not including rabbits)
— 63 million pigeons and other birds
— 23 million buffalo
— 4 million horses
— 3 million donkeys and mules
— 2 million camels (and other camelids)

According to the FAO database."

- futurepredictions.com/2008/10/17/vegetarian-statistics

If you can kill, skin, and cook the animal then I think you have the right to eat it as long as it's for survival and not game. I can cut a chicken's head off but I choose to be pescetarian because I'd rather fish something that's been free and had a fair chance of being captured as his friends. Following the Native American way, I say.

And if I knew how the sites linked, I'd make them link but I'm just wing'n it for now.

We can't forget that just because we humans can make cars and phones and planes, that we're still mammals and mammals feel emotions like pain, happiness, longing, sadness, anger, and love. We think because we're humans, we feel because we're mammals.

edit on 10/5/10 by ohsnaptruth because: typo

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl
Our bodies are designed to eat grains and plants.
So why do we eat meat?
When did we start doing it and why?
Will we be healthier if we stop?

True carnivores (and omnivores) salivate about the idea of eating whole prey animals when they see them. Humans do not. We're interested in eating the body parts only because they've been removed from the original animal and processed, and because we grew up eating them, making it seem perfectly normal. It's amazing how much of a disconnect we've been able to learn about the difference between animals and food.

Compare our physiology to meat eaters and herbivores:

More insightful reading here.
michaelbluejay.com...

Our teeth and intestinal tracts indicate we are omnivores. Both are a nice in between. As for claws etc, they aren't necessary as we are intelligent enough to use tools and weapons (also our meat eating probably began as scavengers, other primates do eat meat). Just because you oppose the idea of eating meat doesn't mean we are violating our nature. I think our diets should consist of more fruits, vegetables, and grains than meat, but we are designed and require both.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

Humans are different than all other members of the animal kingdom. a human doesnt have to rip ligaments and bones in order to eat, we use utensils. We also don't try to eat a whole steak in a bite like these animals nor do we chew raw meat which is a lot tougher...just try to bite into a raw steak and tell me if it is less tough than a cooked one, bc it's the opposite. Vegans and Veggies often have to take vitamins and supplements or can face health risks. Meat isn't necessary but important, especially fish.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

40 Years? Where do you obtain your information? This could be not be wronger. My great aunt ate red meat almost every single day and didn't die until she was nearly 90. And NO ONE lives to 130. I think the true issue here is people who typically eat a lot of meat eat fried meat, fried food isn't healthy.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
just cause we eat meat doesn't mean we eat all "MEAT", you can go anywhere and get a burger but you can't go any for cow tongue...

and besides how many animals dictate their diets by their religous beliefs?
we're just not as in balance with the natural order of things any more...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well I stopped reading around page 4 because frankly this thread just turned into a bunch of sniping on both fronts. I just wanted to add that our brains would not have developed as they have if we didn't not eat meat. I studied that fact in my anthropolgy class just last year. Now I'm not saying that the amount of meat we eat is healthy; I eat red meat maybe once a week, otherwise fish and chicken and of course fruits and veggies and nuts. But we do need some meat in our diets to have the full range of nutrients our bodies require to function at optimal levels. Dear vegetarians, I eat meat. It is good. And there is nothing NOTHING you can say that would ever make me think that I shouldn't eat meat. I'm a healthy weight if not a little tiny bit "fluffy" but I do not get sick very often. The key is moderation. I see nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, it's your choice. My choice is to slaughter defensless animals and nom the crap out of them. Life is about choice and free will.

MMMBACON

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
WAIT YOU DO REALIZE THAT OUR CLOSEST ANCESTOR THE CHIMPANZEE EATS MEAT RIGHT?

www-bcf.usc.edu...

When Jane Goodall first observed wild chimpanzees hunting and eating meat nearly 40 years ago, skeptics suggested that their behavior was aberrant and that the amount of meat eaten was trivial. Today, we know that chimpanzees everywhere eat mainly fruit, but are also predators in their forest ecosystems. In some sites the quantity of meat eaten by a chimpanzee community may approach one ton annually. Recently revealed aspects of predation by chimpanzees, such as its frequency and the use of meat as a political and reproductive tool, have important implications for research on the origins of human behavior. These findings come at a time when many anthropologists argue for scavenging rather than hunting as a way of life for early human ancestors. Research into the hunting ecology of wild chimpanzees may therefore shed new light on the current debate about the origins of human behavior.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
"True carnivores (and omnivores) salivate about the idea of eating whole prey animals when they see them. Humans do not. We're interested in eating the body parts only because they've been removed from the original animal and processed, and because we grew up eating them, making it seem perfectly normal. It's amazing how much of a disconnect we've been able to learn about the difference between animals and food."

This just strikes me as wrong, at least in my case. I would have no problem eating a slab of beef while it was still attached to the cow.

By the by, I'm salivating at the thought, too.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Also some more fun facts to counter the idiocy of the thread starter

PANDAS EAT MEAT

en.wikipedia.org...

While primarily herbivorous, the Giant Panda still retains decidedly ursine teeth, and will eat meat, fish, and eggs when available.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Chimps eat meat, plants and insects.

So unless you are claiming we are not a relative of the chimp. Then you must be wrong.

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I would also like to add that chimps eat raw meat, which is far more nutritious than cooked meat. As once meat is cooked almost all protein is degraded to a point of un-bio-availability.

So they only need small amounts compared to the massive amount we digest. .

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
the only source of protien is meat.
without protien we would die in a few short hours.
obviously people need to eat meat, it has protien.
you cant get that anywhere else ever. and you need tons of it to stay alive.
how can you possibly say meat is bad!??!!?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Lean meats are okay for humans to eat, however we can't digest fat very easily. Humans also have a hard time digesting seeds and nuts too, since we don't have gullets. Too much grain, too much carbohydrates is bad as well. I think lean meats like chicken and fish are probably best for nutritional value purposes, and then vegetables and fruits are absolutely essential as far as sugars go, our bodies can't easily digest excessive processed sugars such as soda and candy either. Nicotine and alcohol, forget about it, those are toxins that kill the cillia in the lungs/throat and the digestive bacteria in the gut, respectively. Caffiene tends to stimulate your digestive system but too much can cause ulcers due to overly stimulated digestion....or is that just me?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There's many nutrients other then eggs and milk (which under fda control is down right disgusting) I ate whole grains and veggies for a year straight, my hair was stronger, I had more energy overall, I ended up loosing a lot of weight. Perhaps because lack of processed hormones and such. Then the other clause in my case is such oils like coconut oil (aka the tree of life) is the most heartiest oil known to man. Did you also know, you obtain more vitamin d standing in the sun then you do drinking processed milk). Maybe if there wernt hormones in everything now, and we ate a real diet enriched with healthy oils we wouldn't need b12. Deficiency is highly unlikely in diets enriched with a variety of natural, non breathing food.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Ok so a gorilla doesnt get any protien at all? It doesnt eat meat. Explain to me the massive strength it has. How does it not get protien exactly and have huge muscles? Some dum stuff going on in this thread, im outie!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I think our diets should consist of more fruits, vegetables, and grains than meat, but we are designed and require both.

Star. I agree 100%. Omnivores FTW!

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join