It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Our bodies are designed to eat grains and plants.
So why do we eat meat?
When did we start doing it and why?
Will we be healthier if we stop?

True carnivores (and omnivores) salivate about the idea of eating whole prey animals when they see them. Humans do not. We're interested in eating the body parts only because they've been removed from the original animal and processed, and because we grew up eating them, making it seem perfectly normal. It's amazing how much of a disconnect we've been able to learn about the difference between animals and food.

Compare our physiology to meat eaters and herbivores:

More insightful reading here.
michaelbluejay.com...

+81 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Uh, humans have canine teeth why then?

Humans are omnivores.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Then where would we get Vitamin B12 from?

Vegan diets are notoriously deficient. You can generally be healthy if you eat eggs and drink milk, but that's about it.

+38 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As the poster above me stated, If we humans weren't designed to eat meat, why the hell would we have a mouth full of teeth? Humans were designed to eat everything and anything. Humans are highly adaptable on circumstances and what's available to eat at the time. If we as humans are forced to eat crap and drink piss, we will. Humans will do what they've got to do, to survive.

Circumstances determine what we eat. Meat is definitely a big part of our natural diet. Without meat, the human population would be probably extinct.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

Then why is meat so tasty?

"True carnivores (and omnivores) salivate about the idea of eating whole prey animals when they see them. "

When i run my hand over the tenth rib of a steer I'm thinking "nice ribeye",yum.

Roper

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Humans are omnivores.

No sharp pointed front teeth. I believe the two canines teeth are a futile attempt of our bodies to adapt to what we and our forefathers have stuffed in our mouth.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Then where would we get Vitamin B12 from?

Vegan diets are notoriously deficient. You can generally be healthy if you eat eggs and drink milk, but that's about it.
Maybe that is knowledge that we have lost throughout the years?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Our teeth are designes to eat grains and plants. Please review the image in the OP.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

"True carnivores (and omnivores) salivate about the idea of eating whole prey animals when they see them. "

When i run my hand over the tenth rib of a steer I'm thinking "nice ribeye",yum.

Roper

Do you think the same way of a cow in a pasture?

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Omnivores dude. We are scavengers just like always. We can eat just about everything.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
Omnivores dude. We are scavengers just like always. We can eat just about everything.

Wrong, dude, please review the image in the OP.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Humans are omnivores.

We're just like bears! Omnivores.

We're able to eat plant material and meat. That is why we have a mishmash of types of teeth.
We shouldn't strictly eat just meat, or just plants. Its unhealthy either way.

And DG: The image in the OP doesn't work, for some odd reason.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl
Maybe that is knowledge that we have lost throughout the years?

Uh...what? You can't get B12 without animal products or supplements.

I believe the two canines teeth are a futile attempt of our bodies to adapt to what we and our forefathers have stuffed in our mouth.

I don't think you properly understand the theory of evolution. At all.

P.S. Please don't post five times in a row. Combine your replies into one or two.
Please.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Stop referencing that image. It completely excludes omnivores, which most primates are.

en.wikipedia.org...

Were chimps designed to eat only vegetables too?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

Roper

Do you think the same way of a cow in a pasture?

OH no, that cow is producing that bull that I turn into a tasty steer.

Roper

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'll give you this. We weren't 'designed' to eat as much meat as most Americans do. But to go to the extreme and exclude it from one's diet completely isn't necessarily the way to go.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I read from Danger Girls' original post that she was wondering why we have a mostly vegetarian physiology, and putting questions out there as to why we adopted meat eating habits...please don't get all fired up and carnivorous at her!
She has some great points to her arguement.

I do see her point, and perhaps we've evolved the way we have to have SOME meat in our diets, although we eat mostly plant matter. Meat wasn't always so plentiful or easy to catch in our evolutionary history. Most people with a little research behind them will agree that our modern diets are far to "meat rich", and we would be healthier, as would the planet, without massive meat production, and apologies for sliding ever so slightly off topic here.

It's perfectly possible to live healthily on vegetarian and vegan diets...I'm even going to indulge *that* arguement...we can get all the nutrients we need from the correct selection of beansprouts if we need to...

[edit on 15-6-2008 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I believe the two canines teeth are a futile attempt of our bodies to adapt to what we and our forefathers have stuffed in our mouth.

Well then since we have develped these then doesnt that mean we can eat meat.

Its called evolution as that one person stated before. So now that we develped the teeth for eating meat doesnt that mean we can eat meat.

And I dont like it when people try to push there views on me. I dont care if you dont want to eat meat. But please dont try to stop me from eating it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is a 'luxury' argument. When you get hungry you're gonna eat whatever you can get your hands on. We haven't been there for a long time in the Western World but that may be changing as inflation continues to gain momentum.

Maybe when times get tough I can start a thread about the Grossest thing I ate last week to stay alive.
Oh, that's right, I won't have the luxury of a computer and internet then. Oh well, guess we'll just keep musing about the 'best' diet while we can.

+33 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
When a Vegetarian girl I was dating, told me that the life of a fish is no less important than my own... I've since come to realize it's best not to try and understand how those people think.

**just nods and agrees... whatever you say dear.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join