It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heading Due South

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by logicize

wow
i guess we better get the "Civ 3" colony space ship built in a hurry and get our rumps to mars

Seriously though - kinda scary to think about. But what can we even do about it? I believe this proves, all too well, that the planet is much more powerful and independant than we'd like to believe.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Yeah, it's hard not to get desensitized to all these events that are supposed to happen. But I think it's important to remember that these things DO happen and WILL happen.
From my point of view I find it quite interesting. I've never looked upon man as something special. We're just test subjects in a never ending test tube of biological ooze. So if polarshift comes and wipes us out I guess it's time for another species to have fun. Probably won't happen since we outlasted the last ones.
Who knows, maybe the shift could have a positive effect on man.

One thing that I would love to know is; does the icecaps move along with the sliding poles or do they diminish while this takes place only to reemerge once the poles are steady again?

[edit on 8/6/08 by flice]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think we are advanced enough to survive it. Obviously something survived ever disaster so far. We have roofs over our head, the ability to generate power, and even the ability to go underground if need be. It could be bad though. Millions and millions could be killed. Especially those that don't have the ability to hide from it. Hopefully it happens quickly and then it's over.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Interesting theory on "Birds and Bees" however the compass still points north. A more plausible reality is the increase in RF interference as we pop up cell towers in more remote locations coupled with the increase of X, gamma, infrared and xenon rays used in our other technologies probably has more impact on the behaviors of species that rely on directional senses.

Furthermore, it should be kept in the foreground the first rule of physics, for every action there is an opposite reaction. We understand life to be that of constant change. As we progress into greater understandings of science thru technological advances, forces unknown to us will reveal themselves and we will attempt to label them. We shouldn't be suprised or alarmed when observing the unknown, but rather embrace the opportunity to enlighten ourselves from its discovery.

The reversal of the poles may be a returning to their original position, for sure it is cyclical and in constant change or motion. We ARE fortunate to witness any sign of its happening!!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

exactly correct - the sun is the engine of the solar system, and a huge dipole
magnet.

nicely observed that the outer gas giants have warmed up/ stirred up their southern hemispheric weather patterns, 1 after the other, each about 10 au apart, starting in the late 1980's!

I had a nice (email) discussion with a chair of geophysics, whose article about pole shift actualy made the NY Times front page around - oh - 2004.

He confirmed it could happen in as little as 2 weeks, and there was a school of thought (Catastrophism) that had worked out the 'details' well enough.

What really spooked me was a different email convo with an astrophysicist across the charles river here, who also told me in 2004 that "groups right now are looking in the southern hemisphere for 'just such an object'." I innocently left out any mention of planet x/ nibiru when asking him about his 2004 Nature article on the formation of the early solar system, and the outer sol system's "missing mass" in the kuiper belt...

DUH!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr

I had a nice (email) discussion with a chair of geophysics, whose article about pole shift actualy made the NY Times front page around - oh - 2004.

He confirmed it could happen in as little as 2 weeks, and there was a school of thought (Catastrophism) that had worked out the 'details' well enough.

Was this conversation recent or has the 2 week period passed?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Well obviously it isn't that big of a deal, it's not like it destroyed the Earth the last 100 times it happened.Honestly you probably wouldn't even know it happened,it really just doesn't seem like it will do any damage what so ever,IMO.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Well obviously it isn't that big of a deal

Well there is evidence of mass extinctions over in our history, it's still a mystery what caused them.

It's seems to me that if your look at earths magnetic field. It's oriented so that under normal conditions the poles are the least protected from solar radiation and flares. Since they aren't pointing at the sun it's no big deal, but if as it's moving, it exposes populated portions of the planet the full brunt of a solar flare, I think it would cause a lot of damage.

Here's a link to how the magnetic field is currently oriented.

magnetic field

[edit on 8-6-2008 by logicize]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Okay, so I don't think anyone's mentioned this, so I'll throw it in:

From an electrical standpoint, this could certainly be bad for civilization as we know it.
Depending upon the speed with which such an event took place (and both inductive and capacitive electrical circuits change logarithmically, not linearly!), it could potentially blow out diodes in circuits everywhere (worldwide). The only thing that *might* protect these precious (and fragile) little electronic devices that make our electronic world possible is if they are either encased in steel or if they are encased in some other container that is painted with lead based paint (I say this because I had a friend that was in the army who came back from iraq and said that they were worried about EMP over there, and so they painted the housings of all of the electronic equipment with a lead based paint, to give the magnetic flux a path around the electronic circuit).

Even if an electronic device were kept in such an enclosure, it would have to remain disconnected from the grid to be fully protected.

Of course, let's be honest. Every civilization that has come before us has fallen by some weakness or another, and did any of us honestly think that ours would be any different? Not me.

Also, there's absolutely no way to predict when such a thing might happen, so there's no point in worrying about it. I'm just glad I have access to farm land and hand tools and have the knowledge to use them.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
hi all,
hopefully someone here could answer my question as im not proficient in magnetism of the earth etc:

how do we know that the polarity changed before and pinpoint when?

cheers

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The magnetic field looks pretty uniform to me,but I'm not saying it isn't possible something could happen if it changes(for all we know it might never change again or not for another 100,000 years!)just that I don't for-see it as a major 'ELE' event or even anything signifigant.People like to make things seem like 'Doomsday' all the time,it is a natural thing that for some reason(we dislike our lifes,deppressed,etc) we humans want the worst to happen,atleast subconsciously.

I would bet GRBs(Gamma Ray Burst) are more likely responsible for some of the 'unknown' extinctions.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That would be great if this happened. I would totally dig being in the southern hemisphere. South America is a great cozy place.

Perhaps the moon will prevent this from ever happening.

The only way would seem to occur is if the solar system would flow around space to bigger systems with more powerful gravitational pull.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Very interesting theory because I've been going down that path for the last few months. I to believe that the Mayans witnessed a pole shift. And with there knowledge of astronomy they probably tried to predict the next one. They talk of earthquakes, waves, tornadoes, volcanoes but the words they use make them sound so catastrophic. But lets look at this these were the same people who lived in caves, stone houses, etc.. And didn't have electricity, gas power, medicine, communication, transportation like we do today. So they were more exposed to this pole shift.

It's very likely we will experience more natural disasters like in China and it is very misfortunate. So im not saying that the pole reversal will be a walk in the park. I just don't believe its the end of man as we know it.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I don't think it will be a life ending event either, at least for humankind. But the evidence is there. It is occuring and I believe the acceleration is exponential and is caused by the sun. Whether we see the brunt of it in our lifetime remains to be seen. No one knows for sure when it will occur, could be next year, could be 1000 years.

I'm not hoping for it. It would suck, life would get very, very difficult and the internet would probably be gone, at least for a while.

As it exposes lower and lower latitudes to the direct impact of solar radiation I think it is at least partly responsible for change in weather as well.

I am trying to find current magnetic north. The last update according to wiki was on 2005. Surely there must be constant monitoring of magnetic north somewhere.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well, one thing we do know, there hasn't been mas extinctions every 200,000-250,000 years, so that is encouraging.
But, I have heard that we arre also aligning with galactic center, along with another galaxy doing the same thing at the same time in 2012. As far as I know, this is a unique kind of alignment that we haven't seen in our history. I don't know what type of effect it will have, it can't be good, but it should be survivalble. Geolgic records could shed more light on just how devaststing this should be.

[edit on 6/8/2008 by cmongo4]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by cmongo4

But, I have heard that we arre also aligning with galactic center

May that is the cause of pole shift. Maybe its not just the earth, or just our solar system, but maybe all poles across the galaxy shift at the same time.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Maybe that is the cause of pole shift. Maybe its not just the earth, or just our solar system, but maybe all poles across the galaxy shift at the same time.

There was I typo. I couldn't help but fix it.

Also.

gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

Shows the last update at 2005

Year Latitude ( °N) Longitude ( °W)
2001 81.3 110.8
2002 81.6 111.6
2003 82.0 112.4
2004 82.3 113.4
2005 82.7 114.4

Is there a more current source or is it just to scary to let us know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join