It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC brainwashing kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
There's a site abc.com directs kids to called www.planetslayer.com
if you go to the greenhouse calculator it tells you when you should die based on your carbon footprint. I did it for an average person and it says I should die at age 10. This is a very disturbing message they are getting out to young kids.
Plant Slayer Greenhouse Calculator

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I got age 4! That is the worst thing to show to a child, it puts across the idea that earning and spending alot is evil, encouraging kids to become poor because its kind to the enviroment.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That is outrageous. What moron thought this would be instructional for a child. Talk about guilt tripping. I believe I'm going to they're site an give them a large peace of A** woopin'! Unfreeekin believable!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by astralprogger

This is what I posted in an email to the powers that be...

>I am writing to complain about the unacceptable use of fear in your so called game" Plant Slayer Greenhouse Calculator"!!! This is outrageous to give children the idea that they should parish if they don't bow down to the carbon footprint crowd. If you want to instruct do so with facts.Not scare tactics and fearmongering. This action is deplorable at the least and criminal at worst. Get your heads out of your arses and realise what your doing!!<

Zindo

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
10.4 is when i should die. "death" must have overlooked my "wicked ways".

since most of those things don't apply to my kids, i am guessing they would live quite a long life so far according to what is used in determining the age of death.

and what a lovely bloody explosion at the end, don't ya think?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah less death and more productive message would of been nice of them. I guess they want to get the "You should die" message out.
Sorry I accidentally put this thread under podcasts. I tried to contact the Admin to see if I can get it put it the right area, but no response yet.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It said I would die at 9.

That site is just plain wrong! Glad that I monitor my children's internet usage. I wouldn't want them stumbling on to that!

Jemison

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by astralprogger

Wow...I should die at 8.3. And I recycle...and don't eat meat...and drive a car that gets 38 mpg.

That's really not the way to get children to respond. They don't respond to fear.

Anyway..thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I could picture children coming to parents in tears asking "should I die?"
What if some kid offs him/her self "for the planet"?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
exactly, what are these kids supposed to think?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I just got a response from ABC:

"As you can imagine, we receive thousands of messages a day from our viewers and while we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding our programming, we are not able to respond to each one directly.

We encourage you to continue to communicate with us! "

What gutless morons. A form letter for such a serious topic. I'm realy not surprised though!!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There has got to be some way to put pressure on this station.
I'm not in Austrailia so any input from people there would be great.
Are there any kind hearted celebrities that would find this atrocious? What about local politicians? Parents groups?

Well, it seems some are making their displeasure known. Here's an article on the matter.

Article on This "Game"

[edit on 6-6-2008 by mysterychicken]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Keep responding ZindoDoone, find the way through.
Sometimes there's no conspiracy, it just comes down
to seeing it wrong. ABC has probably 'farmed' this idea
out to a dept or another company and the 'whatever-a-19
year-old-is' staff has set it up, not realising the big picture.

Keeping batting, you'll get through.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Telling kids when they should have died (most likely they're already older), representing hard workers as fat slimy pigs, and then a bloody explosion! I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, parents should back off of stuff like Grand Theft Auto and start paying more attention to these supposed children's websites.

I also like how they say "helluva" in the meat question. Granted it's not strong profanity but, alas, it's still profanity.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It said I was OK for the rest of my natural life.

I agree that this is NOT for children.,....WTF are they thinking?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Absolutely disturbing! Not only are you depicted as a pig, after clicking the skull and bones icon to get the results your pig explodes into a bloody mess!

What the hell were these morons thinking? Kids don't need to be exposed to this radical crap! There are better ways to educate kids about the environment.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I got a 55!

I didnt know I was going to live past 2012!!!!

NICE!!!!!

I mirror most of the posters feelings, this is an outrage!

I really hope justice is served in the end

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I got age 34.

Which is startlingly close to... nevermind.

I agree, the image of an exploding pig will do nothing for the minds of the youth of today.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
LOL..My result was living forever. But still I agree with you all. Kids of today take heed too any information they can lay there eyes on. and that is just the wrong message. I believe there is a good and bad message. the Bad message everyone has posted it threw the thread and there is no need in saying it. the good message is Small. I Think ABC is trying too get the young kids too start thinking NOW on the enviorment. its a small scare tactic saying if you dont pick up, reuse, recycle, save or in 30 years you will Die etc etc...so I guess in a way it will work on the Younger Audience. Remember the Program D.A.R.E. in the 80's? That the same little message in a way" Don't use drugs" "Drugs are bad" etc etc.

in the late 80's while i was living in the Bahamas I remember a program similar too DARE called "I'm Special" and that was devoted too AIDS and Not having Sex, or Using Drugs because something might happen. " Another Scare tactic used in schools towards the younger crowds. So i guess thats was ABC was aiming for. Scaring the Crap out of 5-17 year olds so they can take heed too what little message that is posted..I don't know I might be wrong tho!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The problem I had with DARE was the officers who, while visiting the local schools, tried to get the youngsters to inform on the parents. One small misconception by a 6 year old could ruin the family using probable cause. Horrible way to Keep The Family Alive to my way of thinking!
Zindo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join