It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for the Men: Should you give up your seats?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I personally feel that it is a sad thing to see how far our society has declined just in the last 20 to 30 years. If this question had been asked of me or any of my friends growing up (and I'm not really that old), we all would have said that the men on that train were cads and should have been thrown off. Not only should a gentleman give up his seat for a pregnant lady, but any lady. Women’s liberation, as they like to call it, has mostly caused further disrespect for women. They are exploited by these slime balls like the 'Girls Gone Wild' punk and everyone is supposed to be ok with this. And now they are sent to war, just like men, when they are enlisted in the service. Further it has been stated that if (when) there is a draft that the women will be drafted along side the men. It is hard to believe that we as a society have been so thoroughly brain washed in such a short period of time. I for one will always give up a seat, open a door and politely step aside for a lady. As a gentleman it is a given.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Maybe "Equality" wasn't what women really wanted! Maybe it's just "more" that they wanted.

You can't have it all can you?

I would give my seat to anyone I felt needed it, regardless of age & sex etc, but not just because a person is female.

And in this day and age I wonder how many women still enjoy having a man pay for a meal or buy them a little "pressie". I'm sure they love the traditional things that award privaleges but not the ones that take them away.

Equality was destined to bite you in your ass ladies...sooner or later, and there is, and will never be a happy conclusion to this perpetual dilema.

Treat a person as the individual and not for the steroetypical person from a pre-categorised group.

The more people (of either sex) who expect things because of their sex, age, condition etc...the more disappointments there are to be had. I prefer happiness!

I think this thread and all similar ones are the result of demanding something that wasn't thought about in the "bigger picture" at the time.

Blame Emmaline Pankhurst.....not men!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I always let women go first through doors and when getting out of the bus and such. We have these bicycle storage units with two layers of bicycles and I always put my bicycle on the harder to reach top level, even if the bottom level is empty so I don't take up an easy parking spot when I don't have to. When I see a woman having trouble lifting her bike from the top level I always offer to help.

However, I will not stand for a fit girl (standing for the elderly, or pregnant women goes without saying of course). To be honest the thought never even occurred to me. I commute regularly by bus and I also have never seen any man stand for a girl/woman who was as capable of standing as he is. I didn't even know some women expected it of us. Even after reading this thread I'm still nearly convinced offering my seat to a girl will make her ask 'Why?' and question my motivation.

But this is an interesting problem I now face. Can I still remain seated in good conscience now I know of this social convention? After all, a girl may be equally fit to stand, but isn't she also equally capable of letting me go first through the door?

Coincidentally, there is an ad campaign running here to make people stand for the elderly again. In response to that I read about a woman who said that people standing for you in the bus is one of the first signs of getting old. As I don't want to make women feel old, I think I'll just remain seated.

[edit on 21/6/08 by Symer]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes we've done this to death

The bottom line is

My Lady likes me to open the door for her, and behave as if I have some manners.

And I like to do it for her.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I always offer my seat to a woman if the opportunity arises. If my offer is turned down then I don't argue the point.

I don't believe that women are weaker, I just think it's good manners.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Lonewolf,

Wow!!! Excellent post. I loved it all! Everything you said is so true. Womens liberation has caused a lot of problems for us.

Men I don't think there is any problems with putting your manners in at all times.

I personally believe ladies still like to be treated like ladies. Not all of us are as a “girl gone wild” and we have a lot of respect for ourselves and we love it when a man holds a door open for us or an umbrella over our head in the rain, or when he stands up for us to offer his seat.

No not all of us wants to fight in a war or be given the same status as a man. We are different and our emotions are different and I think men need to become a man again and a woman a lady.

Nerbot,

And in this day and age I wonder how many women still enjoy having a man pay for a meal or buy them a little "pressie".

Of course we love it when the guy picks up the tab and he should. I’m teaching my girls this as well. As well as my son. I would of never dated a guy who expected me to pay. Even though I am only 40 I think very old fashion here. I don’t think I’m the only one either.

Symer,

That is very sweet of you to help women out with their bikes. Some men don’t seem to understand that we are not the same. However, I don’t think she would question “why” if you give her your seat. I think she would smile and say, “ thanks” I know that is what I would do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join