It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snakes in trees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have a fear of snakes. I don't like them.

Today I went outside to play with one of my dogs. He's big, about 70 lbs and we keep him outside. He is only 8 months old.

So, I toss him his toy football and he misses catching it. The ball lands under a huge oak tree we have.

I go to pick up the ball and a snake about 5 feet long falls out of the tree next to my foot!

I have never run so fast in my life before this!

Anybody else have experiences with snakes?

I'm still shaking over this experience, and I am afraid to go back outside.

That oak tree covers most of our yard!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Our tree is named Sam. It's a registered member of the live oak society in our state, and estimates put it at over 200 years old.

The son of my boyfreind got a good chuckle out of my experience with the snake.

This is farm country and he said the snake was probably a chicken snake.

I have never heard of a snake called this before, but he said they climb trees to eat the eggs in bird nests.........????

Anyone ever heard of this before?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have never heard of it, but I too am afraid of snakes thanks to a childhood experience with a hognose. Even the smallest little garden snakes send me running for the hills screaming.
Seriously, if that had of been me, and a 5 foot snake fell beside me..I would have died on the spot!
Then I probably would've had to run and change my underwear..

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

I have never heard of a snake called this before, but he said they climb trees to eat the eggs in bird nests.........????

Your answer is yes.

en.wikipedia.org... Quote:
"They are agile climbers, able to reach bird nests with relative ease."

Chicken snake is a common name, another name for the same creature is rat snake.

en.wikipedia.org...

I had a rat snake (chicken snake) in the house a few months ago! I researched the snake on the web and eventually we released it outdoors. The web pictures I found shocked the you-know-what out of me as these snakes can climb a brick wall and even loop through (in and out and in and out etc.) chain link fences! They are terrific climbers! And they get HUGE too! Scarey, but, not poisonous.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

LOL, I was so scared, I didn't even think about my underwear!

Yes, I had an experience with snakes when I was young also. I had a cat that showed up late one night making a lot of noise to get into the house.

I went to the door and let her in without turning on the lights. She kept making a lot of noise, so I turned on the lights.

It was then I realized she brought a snake into the house, and she dropped it when I turned on the lights.

It was still alive and crawled under the refrigerator.

My father was none to happy to know that a snake was under the fridge. It was a whole big mess to have to move the appliances to retrieve the snake.

It was still alive and I don't know what happened to it. I was grounded in my room for having let the cat in with it!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thanks for the information!

While I am freaked out by the snake, I guess I can't complain if they eat rats.

I guess I would rather have a snake encounter than a rat encounter!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I thought this thread was about the sequel to Snakes on a Plane.

Peace

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I thought this thread was about the sequel to Snakes on a Plane.

Peace

Ya, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote it.

How much of a chance is there to be under a tree and have a snake fall out of it next to your foot?

I mean, I have never run so fast in my life.........it still has me freaked.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

come and live in northern ireland EF ! we have no snakes what so ever.. except in the zoo of course, even our worms are small!
good old st paddy

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I had a Cuban Red Tail Boa once. I didn't like it much as a pet. They just sit there. I think snakes are cool though.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
While reading your post I was suddenly thinking about a couple of my friends. Imagine this if you will:

"Awwww looook isn't it cute?"
"No Carol, you can't take it home! You've got enough snakes, and dogs, 2 horses, a Degu and I lost track of how many tarantulas you own."
"Awwww but Honey!!"
"No."

(chuckle)
I used to be afraid of them myself, but with some practice at handling them (Pythons) I've grown to a point where I'm no longer terrified of them. I now view them as kinda neat but nothing that I'd want to own.

Edit: Spelling ooopses

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Deson]

new topics

top topics

join