It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Incredible Natural Phenomena you've never seen before

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
1. Venezuela's Everlasting Storm
The mysterious Catatumbo lightning, is a unique natural phenomenon, located in the Catatumbo river at Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela. The phenomenon is a cloud to cloud lightning that forms a voltage arc more than five kilometres high during 140 to 160 nights a year, 10 hours a night, and as many as 280 times an hour. This almost permanent storm occurs over the marshlands where the Catatumbo River feeds into Lake Maracaibo and it is considered the greatest single generator of ozone in the planet.

2. Honduras Rain of Fishes
The Rain of Fish is common in Honduran Folklore. It occurs in the Departamento de Yoro, between the months of May and July. Witnesses of this phenomenon state that it begins with a dark cloud in the sky followed by lightning, thunder, strong winds and heavy rain for 2 to 3 hours. Once the rain has stopped, hundreds of living fish are found on the ground. People take the fish home to cook and eat them.

3. Morocco's Climbing Goats
Goats on trees are found mostly only in Morocco. The goats climb them because they like to eat the fruit of the argan tree, which is similar to an olive. Farmers actually follow the herds of goats as they move from tree to tree. Not because it is so strange to see goats in trees and the farmers like to point and stare, but because the fruit of the tree has a nut inside, which the goats can't digest, so they spit it up or excrete it which the farmers collect.

4. Kerala's (extraterrestrial?) Red Rain
From 25 July to 23 September 2001, red rain sporadically fell on the southern Indian state of Kerala. Heavy downpours occurred in which the rain was coloured red, staining clothes with an appearance similar to that of blood. Yellow, green, and black rain was also reported.

5. Brazilian's longest wave on Earth
Twice a year, between the months of February and March, the Atlantic Ocean waters roll up the Amazon river, in Brazil, generating the longest wave on the Earth. The phenomenon, known as the Pororoca, is caused by the tides of the Atlantic Ocean wich meet the mouth of the river. This tidal bore generates waves up to 12 feet high which can last for over half an hour.

6. Denmark's Black Sun
During spring in Denmark, at approximately one half an hour before sunset, flocks of more than a million European starlings gather from all corners to join in the formations shown below. This phenomenon is called Black Sun and can be witnessed in early spring throughout the marshlands of western Denmark, from March through to the middle of April.

7. Idaho's Fire Rainbow
The atmospheric phenomenon known as a circumhorizon arc, or "Fire rainbow", appears when the sun is high in the sky, i.e., higher than 58° above the horizon, and its light passes through diaphanous, high-altitude cirrus clouds made up of hexagonal plate crystals. Sunlight entering the crystals' vertical side faces and leaving through their bottom faces is refracted, as through a prism, and separated into an array of visible colors. When the plate crystals in cirrus clouds are aligned optimally (i.e., with their faces parallel to the ground), the resulting display is a brilliant spectrum of colors reminiscent of a rainbow.

Has anyone witnessed any of these phenomenon? I havent seen anything like these in my lifetime.

Thats why Im asking for you to share your experiences with any phenomenon you may have had.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by SuperSlovak]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

This is some really interesting info! The goats and the wave I never heard before!

Thanks for the great info SuperSlovak!!

S&f

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
No problem, if i find more I may add them to the list if they are worthy

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Very interesting,I've only heard of one of these.S&f for you sir.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I have seen goats in trees before. Isn't that common?

My family has know two goat farmers here in Canada, and in both farms you can see the goats climbing the trees.

Other then that I haven't see any others on the list and don't have anything to add to the list yet.

Interesting thread anyway.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Those god damn starlings are all over New Jersey these days.

They came across the pond (I think), and now I have to see these 'wonderful black sun' patterns at about 3 feet off the ground as I am suddenly engulfed in Starlings...going over 60 in a mustang.

Scary as hell. I hate starlings.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
humm thh Idaho's Fire Rainbow picture reminds me of the rainbow seen right before the recent earthquake in China. Are they related?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Very nice.

Will keep a look out for other events to add.

Dizzie

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I've seen the Fire Rainbow before and let me tell you its a sight of true beauty.

It happened last summer, me and my Dad were out at a sort of an air show when we first noticed it on the far left hand side of the sky. Over the next few hours the colors filled up and shifted from cloud to cloud until it's peak, when an entire 180 degree's of the sky gave in to this amazing phenomena. It wasn't just one cloud either, there were 3 or 4 clouds that were lit up like that and they were all in a row.

Took another couple hours for it all to go away. I doubt I'll ever see another display like that in my entire life.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Voidmaster]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
4th one; I live in Kerala (mostly known as "GODS OWN COUNTRY" (check out in google for its natural beauty)) and i do remember the red rain; no body knows the reason for that; scientists have taken samples of the rain water; but they are yet to get any conclusion. Thanks for the thread and i was surprised to see my state mentioned in it

I will try to get more details about the red rain.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Wow amazing stuff, thanks a lot for posting

I really want to see Venezuela's Everlasting Storm, I bet it would look awesome.

-Will

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Very cool Info. Ive never heard of a lot of this stuff before.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Makes me want to go on a trip to Venezuela. Gotta admit the Idaho Ranbow looks just gorgious. I do seem to remember hearing something about the Goats but I couldn't place where. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
ive seen the Black Sun birds in my home town three years ago, found it quite hypnotic, but then thats me

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It's pretty cool the amazing and strange things that the world has out there for us too see, here's one that may not fit the topic exactly but, I thought that it was awesome when I first saw the pics.

"The Door to Hell",

This place Darvaz, Uzbekistan and is called by locals “The Door to Hell”. 35 years ago geologists were drilling for gas, when they found an underground cavern; no one dared to go down into it because it was filled with gas. They ignited it so that no poisonous gas could come out and for the last 35 years it has been burning.

Cheers Fox

It's much like that town over in America that has had the coal fire burning under it for a very long time too, I can't remember the name of it right now and no it's not Silent Hill.... lol

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
It's too bad that no one has come up with a way to use the energy generated by Venezuela's constant storm.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
1. Venezuela's Everlasting Storm
The mysterious Catatumbo lightning, is a unique natural phenomenon, located in the Catatumbo river at Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela. The phenomenon is a cloud to cloud lightning that forms a voltage arc more than five kilometres high during 140 to 160 nights a year, 10 hours a night, and as many as 280 times an hour. This almost permanent storm occurs over the marshlands where the Catatumbo River feeds into Lake Maracaibo and it is considered the greatest single generator of ozone in the planet.

I lived in Venezuela, next to Lake Maracaibo, and from my bedroom window, i could see the lighting EVERY night...

It was so nice... It is something that is a site to see...

[edit on 6/2/2008 by TKainZero]

top topics

join