It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My familys survival set up.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

I will start with the pictures. I'm not really good at that kind of stuff, and getting it onto a computer would be a nightmare for me lol. Do you have any survival stockpilings,shelters, etc?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

Your Really Lucky.

Starting to prepare at your age, with modern technology available to you, you can research every item, issue and piece of equipment at your 'desktop' in your dedicated time. ( not FREE time )

If you "SHOP' each 'item', Information Library, or scenario 'equipment list' just like a grocery list, in WORD or Excell.... you can compare the prices, quality, features, potential duplication, weight, and benefits of everything.

You will invest a lot of time researching, but then when you make a decision on a direction to proceed, you will save MONEY, Time, Duplication, Weight and be able to get better technology and economy in a smaller lighter package. Better Medicine, Better Fuel, Better Power, Better Carbohdrates. Dont waste your money on inferior products or techniques.

A lot of us didnt have that benefit until 1996 or so when Windows 95 came out. The Internet was 'Born" for most of us then. AND it wasnt NEAR as 'deep' as it is now.

A lot of trial and error, duplication, false economy on 'cheapo' survival products that wont hold up, HEAVY WWII gear, and outdated techniques can be avoided ( re: we dont "cut and suck" snakebite anymore for example, we use instant cold packs and elevation ). Water Treatment and Medicine has taken Quantum Leaps, and the Information available now is simply Star Trek.

Such things have NOW become public domain, where as just before Y-2K even, for example, it was ya' had to "learn it all your self" and there was no pulic discussion, meeting of the minds, comparing techniques, or FAQ's database to draw upon. We were all those "Crazy Survivalists" living in caves and eating muskrat, shunned by the general public, and in fear of the Big Brother.

I think the point that I want to make to you is this... Dont let your AGE hinder you, or even lack of finances. ( you will learn to live with that, lol we all have..)

It will cost you NOTHING to Search, SAVE ( information), STUDY and learn from the People who post here, and the WWWeb itself.

You have at your fingertips LIFETIMES worth of DATA and Experience that we just didnt have access to even 9 years ago. We were all hiding and keeping to ourselves, like dogs guarding ham bones.

You can go Further , Faster and more economically than we EVER could when we had to "order books" and hit the Library or the 'Army Store'.

Your also going to save a LOT of money, and equipment wont be redundant, because you have very powerful tools right in front of you. All you have to do is PLAN each Expense and compare Quality, Weight, Power supply, Calorie Count, best medical kit, best stove and fuel, etc.

Then you will know when you see a STEAL at a garage sale or in the Good Will, or you actually see it 'sitting on the curb' even.. ( no joke, people dont think about what they throw away.. 5 gal water bottles, garden hoses, wool army blankets, oil lanterns, coleman stoves, WATER BARELLS FUEL cans, hibachis, tiki torch lights, old radios, etc..)

Once you do Buy something it should meet this final criteria: Ask yourself..

"Is this item a lifetime investment that I will always have and can pass on to my kids, unless its stolen or burns up in a fire?"

The knowledge you aquire and store may be exactly what you do pass on to your kids, and they may be very thankful you saved it all. It might be about all thats left.

I wish you the best, and feel confident that you are on the correct path.

If YOU feel that you may 'need it someday', something or someone is probably guiding your way , besides your Grandfather.

THE FATHER, The SON and the Holy Ghost will open doors for you.

Just be ready to step through. ( or pull over to the curb and stop at that Garage Sale )

No one can take your effecient knowledge, and you can always replace/aquire/fabricate equipment.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by USMC-oorah

If you need help u2u me, or check the ats FAQ.

I don't have any setup whatsoever, but I'm a short drive from the Deifenbunker, so I'll try to sneak in there if the proverbial poop hits the fan ;-)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Thank you for your post!
For some reason the thoughts of stockpiling food and keeping an organized reserve of essentials have always been in my head. It is reinforced by my grandfather and my mother who also doesnt think lightly about being prepared (guess it runs in the family). Im not worried about the future but im not ignoring it either.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Honestly one of the most heart felt posts I have ever read. Many thanks to you my friend and I wont let you down. Thanks for the information and help.

Good luck to you as well
Andrew

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

It's always a pleasure to post something nice. The thanks goes completely to you for reading.

Andrew

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hey, your welcome!

I thought about you today, when I passed a pile of "trash' set out on the curb. I passed it by for about 1/2 a block and STOPPED, ( remembered my advice to you ) backed up and LOOKED.

I pulled out a 10 foot piece of 2" PVC pipe, Brand NEW, and a 50 foot garden hose with 2 good ends... looks fine to me, dont know why they trashed it, and a wooden, free standing, green 'Christmas Tree', about 5 feet tall, ( flat, with an X stand ) that will make a perfect 'Target Frame' for out in the backwoods.

I almost didnt backup, but I remembered my advice to you, so, I did.

It was a meant to be, and yours are waiting for you as well.

Dont forget to check the GoodWill, Souls Harbor and Salvation Army, along with every 'thrift store' around.

NOW is the PERFECT time to buy WINTER clothes. It was 99 degrees here Monday. Fleece Jackets and Pants are CHEAP now, instead of 50 to 80 dollars retail 'new', per piece, you can get them for UNDER 10.00!

I saw a whole rack of NEW, with tags, 'thinsulate' gloves for 5.00 per Pair.... Normally those gloves are 30 to 40 dollars for a New Pair..... Patagonia, Abercrombie and REI brands I have all seen in the past 2 months, for like 5.00 to 8.00 per piece.

Outsmart the Giant Corporation Advertizing Departments !!

Once you learn the 'feel' of the pile, fleece, capilline or underarmour fabric, you can just 'walk down the aisles' and run your hand across each "shirt shoulder area' ,for example, till you feel the 'correct' fabric... then stop and check the size, condition and price.

its really quick, once you 'feel' those fabrics, they are totally differant than cotton or polyester and you can find them VERY quickly without even 'looking' at the clothes hanging on the hangers.

The people who run these stores usually dont know the QUALITY of thes items, and they Price them CHEAP!

Like I said 50 to 80 dollar items for 5.00!

I guarantee you it WILL get COLD again this year!

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
NIce.
that salvation army idea is just genious!
I found some rolls of burlap and cotton just recently. I figured it would make great clothing material. Outside burlap and inside cotton that way foliage and debris stick to the burlap while the cotton lining on the inside keep me cozy!

I'm really thinking about headin to the SA here in my city. hmm to be or not ot be.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
He's got a variety of shotguns, 3 ar-15's, a Ak-47, a Chinese SKS, a vintage 1911 Colt 45, and i'm not even sure about the other ones. My uncle in Idaho is a huge gun collector. He's managed to attain a gatteling gun. The mans a gun freak.

ha! cool. I'm guessing he stockpiles ammo aswell. How does he store the weapons? I noticed recently in my city that ammunition prices have gone up dramatically. a box of 30-06 Springfield is about 40 dollars! I mean Ive never bought ammo in my life but Ive always kept my eyes on things like these. Especially the military calibers. :S

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
double post. sorry

[edit on 22-5-2008 by n0b0DY]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It sound like your Grandfather is a very smart man. People from his generation are virtual warehouses of knowledge just waiting to be tapped.

It's good to see others are preparing for the worst, while hoping for the best.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

This is one thing that i'm actually pretty good at. My grandparents are thrift store and bargain masters. We have a LDS ran thrift store out here called Deseret Industries I go to.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It always amazes me what people consider "trash" or donate to the Salvation Army.

We live in such a plastic disposable society, that people dont think 30 days ahead, or even consider loss of water service.

I've picked up several external frame backpacks, lots of High Quality Clothes, Cheap radios, food dehydrators, water bottles and LOTs and LOTS of 'book bag' backpacks. Also Bike carts for the kids to ride behind the bicycle, a Great chainsaw, a fire escape ladder, telescope, personal panic alarm , mason canning jars, bulk candles, camping cookware, first aid kits and boxes among other items.

I always think its a "Meant to be" when I find something good, and that I was meant to find it.

All the Best,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I think that people now days have a "throw it out and buy a new one attitude." It's really sad to it teaches you to be wasteful and quite frankly, stupid. Rather then repairing people just figure "i'll buy a whole new one." tisk tisk.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Quick Note... just to repeat myself.. lol

Today at the GoodWill store, I found TWO COMPLETE AMWAY E-84 and e-9225 Home water filter systems NEW IN THE BOXES ( 3 boxes per kit ) for 9.00 each KIT. ( 6 boxes of stuff NEW for 18.00 + tax.)

Heck just the chrome faucet goes for 25.00 at home depot, cause I saw one Thursday. I got 3 today in these kits!

Two New Units, 2 New Filters in plastic wrap, THREE undercounter hose hook up kits, ( with Chrome faucets )TWO counter top hook up kits ( pull the knob to filter the water, push it back in to get TAP water )

Anyway, UNDER 20.00 for the LOT. I already hooked one up in my kitchen, and I'm hooking the other up for my Grandma tomorrow. 1250 to 1500 gallon capacity, according to the specs.

I'll still have LOTS of spare parts, faucet connectors, hoses and various adapters left over to use on other filtration projects.

Just the new Filter replacement cartridges are probably 40.00 each...

Cant believe the DEAL... Meant To Be.... Just had to open my eyes and LOOK.... There it was... Provided.... BY God I believe.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

FWIW, I just did some research on the Units I found Yesterday, and It looks like the Set Up Kits are about 370.00 EACH in 1996! The replacement cartridges are 56.oo each , and are still available. These also got he best rating of the 4 units tesed.

Like I said I got them for 9.00 per complete kit.... making the point that "One Mans Trash Is Another Mans Treasure"... --- Especially when it comes to finding Survival type gear that people "just throw out".

Its just a matter of Priorities and knowing what to look for when "hunting".

external info: copied from a review.

"Distributor cost on the Amway E-84 as of 9/96 was $248, plus $44.75 for the required faucet connector hardware, plus 4% shipping, for a total of $314.86. (CR does not mention if the other units also require additional installation hardware. CR also did not include the cost of the faucet connector in their published ratings results...if they had, the suggested retail cost of the Amway unit would have been $367.30.) "

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blitzkreigen

One More thing, when you store the computer, Take out the battery, disconnect all cords, remove the Cd-rom drive and anything else you can remove easily. ( Memory Chips if possible ) THEN store the computer in a METAL BOX, insulated with cardboard or foam between the computer and the metal bottom, sides and top of the box. It also may help to totally encapsulate the computer in Tin Foil, once again insulated from touching the sides of the storage box.

Dont store the cords, mouse, ext. keyboard, charger, or anything else in the same box with the computer. Especially any coiled up cords. ( EMP )

I would seal the top of the box with metal airconditioning tape as well, everywhere there is a hinge, gap or hole. 'Grounding' is still questionable, and I cant advise you on that. Its hard to get ^accurate^info about EMP Still.

I think I read somewhere that lead will actually block an EMP wave, no matter how large it is. Anyone know for sure? If so, could cast a box out of lead, with a drop in lid that has an outer lip for opening back up.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have been reading over this hread and I really want to build a sheltor for myself and my family. The problem is I dont own any land and I wouldnt know where to even start building it even if I had land. What should I do, im asking you guys becasue you all seem to know more than I do.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Find an EMERGENCY shelter somewhere near you. Like Under 5 miles.

Think School, deep parking garage, old building from the 50's with a basement, something along those lines for an EMERGENCY shelter.

I'm talking about a Dirty Bomb, or Terrorist Nuke where you have about an hour to get to where your going. Then hole up for 2 weeks or so and see whats happening. A radio would be great in case of a dirty bomb.

You probably wont have any warning in this scenario, so have an idea what to do NOW. I say under 5 miles, because you may have to hoof it, and thats gonna suck.

If its just food shortages, riots or some other civil disturbance , your probably better off staying at home.

If the "Ash" is coming your way, you have an hour to hole up.

Even 8 hours in a temporary emergency shelter will reduce the rad count by a factor of 10.

1000 rads 1 hour after Detonation= 100 rads 8 hours after detonation, then every 7 fold increase in time = divide by 10.
So 49 to 56 hours after detonation= 10 rads.

2 to 3 days can immediately save your life, where as if your NOT in a shelter the first hour you will recieve 1000 rads which = twice the fatal dose in 1 hour.

Lots of structures around you, just open your eyes.

I cant advise you on a NON EMERGENCY shelter.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Thank you for your help I will start looking close by for places that might be my possible emergency shelter.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Your welcome. Think 3 feet of dirt all around you.

Concrete is better obviously. The steel rebar helps too.

If there is a high rise near you, the middle floors will help a lot to protect you, due to the distance from the roof and ground where most particles will be.

10 inches of water is a "Halving thickness".

100 rads going through 10 inches of water = 50 rads.

Stack two cardboard boxes, lined with double trash bags, and filled with water, on top of a desk. Thats 100 rads is now 25 rads after going through both boxes of water.

Look Up Nuclear War Survival Skills ( NWSS) by Cresson H. Kearny.
www.oism.org...

Its a FREE download and well worth the read. He IS the Authority on the subject, for the Layman.

Here is another link for you: www.ki4u.com...

THESE ARE THE IMMEDIATE ACTION STEPS TO TAKE>

One More: www.fas.org...

NATO Medical Aspects of NBC Warfare. Not Layman reading.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join