It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accommodation somewhere in the triangle of York-Harrogate-Leeds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We are 5 adults travelling and are in need of lodging recommendations..So all you ATSers/BTSers in Yorkshire. Help us! Time in question 22.-25.5.

At least the hotels in the area seem to be quite fullybooked at the time and we would need a good cancellation policy as we a travelling with stand-by tickets (airline staff...)..

Suggestions, please! And thanks!

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Sisu06]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
heres the cheaper ones unless your looking for hostels

I know if you book travelodge a month in advance it is really cheap but I think youve missed the cut off time now....

www.travelodge.co.uk...

heres another...

www.premierinn.com...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thanks,booda,forthe links! Especially the premierinn is worth examining. Originally we would have preferred a b&b but they seem to have a strict cancellation policy (7 days before arrival without cost).

Does any of you run a guest house or a b&b by any chance? OR know someone who does? We would be able to confirm our arrival on the 21st of May as then the flight situation can be estimated. At this point there is plenty of room on the flight that we planned to take over there.

Cheers

Sisu06

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Hi there ..

I used to live in Hunslet, Leeds .. there are several bed & breakfasts if you look on the outskirts as oppose to Leeds town but please check up on the area as there are (as in all places) some bad parts.. the place below is 1 minute drive from Leeds town centre and 5 minutes drive from the A1/M link motorway that will take you to York, Harrogate and the east coast of England. It's about a 20 minute drive to York from this place. If you need anything else please ask or u2u me ..

South Leeds accomodation e.g. this is a b & b

Brookfield Hotel

11 Brookfield Street, Hunslet, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10 1JX
Tel: +44 (0)113 245 1851

Number of Rooms: 15

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Hi Sisu06

I am in York. It would help if you could let me have a little more info, ie your preferred price range and whether you have an itinery planned. Please feel free to U2U me if you think that I can help.

While the hotels may say that they are full, you will find that if you turn up you will be able to get a good price - I work in a hotel at the moment and I know that many of the hotels have vacancies for next week (it is off-peak, this week there are races so most are booked up) but they will try and hang out for full price. The hotel I work at is at the high end price wise so perhaps not what you are looking for.

A couple of suggestions

www.carltonhouse.co.uk...

www.hedleyhouse.com...

York Youth Hostel is very reasonable and worth a look if you don't mind minor roughing it, it is very central and a nice location by the river.

www.yha.org.uk...

York tourist information has records of most vacancies

www.york-tourism.co.uk...

Hope that helps, but don't hesitate to U2U me if you need any more information, or if you have a better idea of where (ie York, Harrogate or Leeds). I am presuming that you are comming in at Leed-Bradford airport and there is a direct shuttle service to York station which leaves you very central and it is only a five to ten minute walk to the tourist information service.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thank You Sat1 and Kil for the friendly advise! I am having some serious investigating before me!

We are 5 adults, as said before, and coming over to see the Dales + of course try to get a glimpse of Emmerdale filming village..is that pathetic or what!? It's just that I am a huge fan of the series.

But the original reason for the whole trip is a wedding. Two of our group will tie the knot after like 20 years of being together. I am flexible and so is the bride-to-be (we would not mind spending money on some "luxury" accommodation or on the other hand wouldn't mind sleeping in a tent) but for the sake of others we will have to find a solution somewhere in between...

Oh, and the flight is to Manchester and we are either rentinga car (if someone will agree to drive...) or taking the train.

Kil, I am not sure whether I have enough points to U2U...

Sisu06

[edit on 13-5-2008 by Sisu06] I don't have enough posts to U2U

[edit on 13-5-2008 by Sisu06]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sisu06
Thank You Sat1 and Kil for the friendly advise! I am having some serious investigating before me!

I am more than happy to help in anyway I can. I am very proud of my county.

We are 5 adults, as said before, and coming over to see the Dales + of course try to get a glimpse of Emmerdale filming village..is that pathetic or what!? It's just that I am a huge fan of the series.

Have you considered a self-catering cottage? You may find you have more choice and I can recommend a number of smaller towns that may be more what you are looking for location wise. The Yorkshire Dales is my dream spot and where I hope to retire to, hopefully a very early retirement. You will find that you can get a relatively wide selection from basic to luxury in terms of self-catering accommodation.

yorkshiredales.sykescottages.co.uk...

www.dales-holiday-cottages.com...

www.yorkshiredales-stay.co.uk...

Emmerdale is located on the Harewood House estate, I am not sure if it is open to the public but you may be able to get a glimpse. Harewood is worth visiting anyway, there is not only a house but gardens and an exotic bird collection so you can't lose either way.

www.harewood.org...

But the original reason for the whole trip is a wedding. Two of our group will tie the knot after like 20 years of being together. I am flexible and so is the bride-to-be (we would not mind spending money on some "luxury" accommodation or on the other hand wouldn't mind sleeping in a tent) but for the sake of others we will have to find a solution somewhere in between...

Are they getting married over here? If so where (if you don't mind telling me)?

Oh, and the flight is to Manchester and we are either rentinga car (if someone will agree to drive...) or taking the train.

I would consider renting a car if you want to see the Dales themselves, a train and the public transport system in general are sadly lacking. I would also recommend that you get one with sat nav fitted too - most places are well sign posted but it is worth getting off the beaten track and some of the best places are literally in the middle of nowhere. Also some of the pubs round that area are very highly rated for food and wine (as well as beer).

You would be better off in Harrogate if it is the Dales you are wanting to visit. York is better placed for the North Yorkshire Moors. There is some beautiful scenery and 'dark satanic' mill towns around Leeds and through to places like Holmfirth (TV programme 'Last of the Summer Wine'). It is stunning and dramatic but not as 'pretty' as the Dales.

Kil, I am not sure whether I have enough points to U2U...

Sorry I didn't think. No problem, I'll just watch this thread, as I said don't hesitate to ask, it is my pleasure to be of any help I can

And just keep posting and you'll soon have enough points.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks, I'll take a look at the links you provided tomorrow as now it's time to put the littleones to bed.

I have also been looking after self catering cottages and even found one possible near Harrogate from holidayrentals...or something like that...The thing applies with these as well as all other possibilities (what if we are not able to get the stand-by tickets after all...).

They are getting married here in Finland, hopefully before our trip. Not a big event but this trip is to celebrate it at least somehow..

Thank you, KilgoreTrout, once again for the input! I am sure that I will have more questions after having the time to investigate all the links you provided.

Sisu06

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hello hello hello!

We finally found a rental property in Pateley Bridge. Our flight to Manchester leaves tomorrow morning. Cannot wait!

See you around! Who knows?

Cheers

Sisu06

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Sisu06

Pateley Bridge!! Perfect, you'll love it, there are some really great walks around there too.

Have a great time and say hello to the Dingles from me!!!

KT

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Holidays is over but had the nicest time! Everybody was so friendly to us + the views are stunning in Yorkshire. We drove a lot around and saw a lot and yet I feel that I am going to have to return some day.

KilgoreTrout (or someone else who knows), would you mind telling me the history behind the stone fences all around? So far I know that limestone is mined and the profession of stonefencebuilder (?) is very rare nowadays and it is quite costly to build such a fence. But when were the oldest fences built? It is sort of amazing to think that there are miles and miles and miles of fence;it must have taken ages to build them all!

Before the visit none of us realized that there are so many sheep in England. You always learn new things!

Sisu06

P.S. I might have gotten into TV while arriving the Man Airport. They were filming a skinny woman with a poodle and I walked by in the background. Sorry guys!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Holidays is over but had the nicest time! Everybody was so friendly to us + the views are stunning in Yorkshire. We drove a lot around and saw a lot and yet I feel that I am going to have to return some day.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, the views ARE stunning aren't they, I wasn't born in Yorkshire but it is definately where my soul belongs.

KilgoreTrout (or someone else who knows), would you mind telling me the history behind the stone fences all around? So far I know that limestone is mined and the profession of stonefencebuilder (?) is very rare nowadays and it is quite costly to build such a fence. But when were the oldest fences built? It is sort of amazing to think that there are miles and miles and miles of fence;it must have taken ages to build them all!

It is called Dry-stone walling - simply because they use no mortar. It is a skill that has to be kept alive because the walls need constant maintenance and you can take short courses to learn the skill. You will find them in practically everywhere in the country but the best examples and the most extensives use of them in from the Cotswolds upwards into Scotland. Here are a few links;

www.britainexpress.com...

www.skiptonweb.co.uk...

www.ruskinmuseum.com...

Before the visit none of us realized that there are so many sheep in England. You always learn new things!

LOL. Not a lot else you can do with land that steep and exposed though. Yorkshire is good for three things - sheep, cheese and beer - the last, in my opinion, being the best.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
for a great weekend away and some stunning cottages and views visit www.cheviotholidaycottages.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Go to Ilkley. Good prices on hotels and it is beautiful and has some good historic scenery too.

join