It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyson forced to suspend deceptive ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Tyson forced to suspend deceptive ads

www.washingtonpost.com

Poultry giant Tyson Foods has 14 days to dismantle a national multimillion dollar ad campaign centered on the claim that its chickens are raised without antibiotics, a federal appeals court in Richmond ruled yesterday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Pretty sneaky. They inject the eggs with anti-biotics and claim that they raise the chickens anti-biotic free.
I am curious to the effects these anti-biotics have on us over time.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
just another example of false advertising it happens preety ofton but rarely gets reported or acted upon. its good to see something done about it for a change.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by krill
just another example of false advertising it happens preety ofton but rarely gets reported or acted upon. its good to see something done about it for a change.

And if journalism was still a respectable profession unto itself, we'd see stories like this on the front page of the papers and at the top of the headlines in the evening TV news. But, since newspapers and other "news" media are just as dependent upon advertising dollars as the top-rated TV dramas and reality shows, things like this get buried. Wouldn't want to offend potential sponsors by reporting the Truth now, would we?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

I am curious to the effects these anti-biotics have on us over time.

It isn't so much us you have to worry about. It is the bacteria. Prolonged over use or unnecessary use of antibiotics leads to resistant bacteria, aka superbugs. MRSA is one. You know, flesh eating bacteria, that sort of thing. No cure because the bacteria has evolved to be immune to the antibiotics we would normally use to fight it.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

That is scary stuff. I have noticed that I hear of more and more people getting staph infections. When I was growing up you very rarely heard of them. When you did it was usually someone who got the infection from a hospital.
Maybe I should start raising my own chickens and plant my own garden.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
It isn't so much us you have to worry about. It is the bacteria. Prolonged over use or unnecessary use of antibiotics leads to resistant bacteria, aka superbugs. MRSA is one. You know, flesh eating bacteria, that sort of thing. No cure because the bacteria has evolved to be immune to the antibiotics we would normally use to fight it.

And the reasons for those antibiotics are directly attributable to how factory-farmed animals are treated.

Dairy cows get antibiotics because they're fed hormones to produce milk when they don't need to (there's no need for a cow not feeding a calf to produce milk) and thus they're hooked up to the milking machines almost round-the-clock, which chafes and injures the cow's teats to the point they become infected. The antibiotics fight the infection, but get passed to us in the milk, and allow the bacteria to evolve new defenses.

Meat-producing factory-farmed animals are kept in close quarters, forced to spend most of their lives in close proximity to each other. In chickens this causes vicious fights, and antibiotics are fed to the chickens in their feed so any wounds they get don't become infected.

Beef cattle are often kept in small stalls, and sometimes thrash around out of restlessness and boredom, and the need to "get out". In their struggles they incur injuries and thus antibiotics are used to fight infection. Also most factory-farmed beef cattle are force-fed on corn, which cows cannot properly metabolize, and their natural immune systems are often compromised from this.

Look for meat and dairy products that are free-range and hormone-free. Look for grass-fed beef as well. It costs more but you won't be taking in the crap that was fed to the animal. And, if enough people shun the hormone- and antibiotic-stuffed factory-farmed crap eventually (hopefully) market forces will do the rest.

new topics

top topics

join