It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N.'s World Food Program Cried Poverty While Sitting on Cash Stockpile of More Than $1.22 Billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

U.N.'s World Food Program Cried Poverty While Sitting on Cash Stockpile of More Than $1.22 Billion

www.foxnews.com

Just weeks before it announced the onset of a global food crisis and the urgent need for donors to provide at least $775 million in additional funding, the World Food Program (WFP) was sitting on a cash and near-cash stockpile of more than $1.22 billion.

The $1.22 billion figure, tallied as of December 31, 2007, represents an increase of nearly $400 million over the WFP’s cash reserves a year earlier, as laid out in a report to the WFP’s governing executive board in June 2007.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush offers $770m for food crisis

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Huh. So it looks like we've been scammed by the U.N. and they're sitting on more than enough money to fund their operations this year.

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, the fact that the U.S. just hands over 770 million of the 775 million they asked for - there are 191 other member states in the UN and they can only come up with 5 million bucks on their own? - or the fact that we just hand out money without even checking if it's being used or even needed... :shk:

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/2/2008 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So...were is this money going? Another scam to rob America of it's money straight back into NWO pockets? Or a scam by the UN to be able to give more help to the needy?
Jeah, probably the first one.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Perhaps the sum that was there in the fund at the end of 2007 is no longer there now due to some financial shenanigans and shady stock market gambling?
If it was all there, I'm sure the interest on it is probably being funneled off to line someones Cayman account

I have such a low regard for the UN, just like the EU, my own government or any other shady organisation staffed by crooks and liars.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Another nasty aspect of the scam is how the American taxpayer will be 'paying back' the loan of the $770M from the Fed, while they further devalue our dollar and our way of life continues to sink into someone else's idea of 'good enough.'

We are being allowed to be fleeced by people who's loyalties lie with the corporate regime and the international banking infrastructure. They seem to be 'hurrying it along.'

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.

How do you end world hunger?

By giving them food?

Why not by helping the ones that are hungry with building them agrucultural infrastructure and giving them seeds and means to grow their own food? I mean, if there can be golf courts in the middle of the desert for the rich to play on - I think a a billion dollars could help a lot of people with hunger problems to start growning and eating their own food.

So is this kind of aid noble - or is it something else?

Let them eat pie

When President John F. Kennedy named the Food for Peace program in 1961, he said, “Food is strength, and food is peace, and food is freedom, and food is a helping to people around the world whose good will and friendship we want.” That may be true, but it would be imprudent of us to forget that food is food. The purpose of food is to feed people, not America’s ego. Whether through exposure to Keynesian economics or negotiation cliches, we’ve fallen in love with the expanding pie theory: If you grow the pie, then everyone gets a larger piece of it. From closely observing the waistlines of many Americans, I have come to a conclusion. We don’t need more pie. We don’t need to win, or win-win-win-win. Indeed, maybe the right thing to do would be to lose: Lose our money, lose the support of domestic agribusiness and shippers, and buy food abroad from farmers who could really use the money for people who could really use the food. And maybe we could remember that losing once had a kinder, nobler name: Giving.

So is it about feeding the hungry?

Or is it a form of support for American farmers?

Food aid also builds long-term commercial export markets.

To me it looks like throwing food at a hunger problem.

This way you can not solve this - but extend it even further, since the people who are starving right now, will know that sooner or later somebody is going to dump some undersired rice on their tents from airplanes. Why not give them the means to grown the food themselves?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Close but not quite. Its a scam for the UN to line their own pockets. There has never been a more crooked group.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by lost in the midwest]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The UN, Bush, and the NWO are all the same thing to me, so actually I think we are in agreement.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

With the United States deviously sitting at the head of the U.N. table, throwing embargo's & sanctions to any country that opens a soup line, one can quickly see how things are turning to nonsence.

I'm sure Fox is all over this story, but they'll blame/spin it on irresponcible American farmer's & their bankruptcy.

Great thread

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by enigmania
The UN, Bush, and the NWO are all the same thing to me, so actually I think we are in agreement.

That is true, we are all Humans. Greedy, Violent, Paranoid, and Immoral humans.

Thats the whole problem here. People suffer because of other People. You dont need any grand conspiracies for that. All humans conspire. At work, home, around friends and family. Driven by human desire, greed, pleasure, sloth, and identity. Its innate, probably a built in survival mechanism. It even manifests in children. Ironically this "Survival" instinct will be our demise.

If these people at the WFP are as corrupt as Kofi Annan, then well no amount of money to any organization is going to stop the food and fuel crisis from starting a global meltdown.

Our own immoral nature will be our destruction.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I found this perspective highly provocative and appropriate. It's from an Asia Times article a couple of weeks ago.Asia Times Online

Any European who talks about how much more civilized the continent has been relative to America's war-mongering clearly doesn't understand the horrific costs on poor farmers elsewhere in the world. Put simply, while it's easy to count America's war dead perhaps in the hundreds of thousands, victims of European farm subsidies number in the hundreds of millions.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

*sigh* Is anyone surprised by this? Anyone? Bueller? The first mistake was belonging to the UN. The second mistake was listening to anything they had to say. The third mistake was opening the checkbook. Everything the UN does is a total scam and should be regarded as such. Nothing is better in the world as a direct result of them.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Anyone who keeps informed knows that the food drive efforts to send food to third world nations create more problems than they solve. They need more help with birth control than food. The Muslims have been taking over Africa since the Europeans turned away from colonialism, and so if anyone should be on the hook to feed the starving people in Africa it should be the rich Islamic nations. Islam is well known for its push to breed out of control and lack of birth control is what is creating the problem in the first place.

Of course the NWO/WTO/UN aka International Corporations want to keep the ranks of the worlds poor swelled so that they always have a supply of cheap labor readily available. When they can't build factories to exploit the poor in third world nations, they push for immigration to the developed nations to bring down wages and increase the cost of housing. All the while elites work to find ways to pit the different ethnic groups against each other.

Then the elites call those of us in the West who call for restriction of immigration, and changes in WTO policies racists and hate mongers. They want to make us feel guilty because we want to take care of our own first, Because we want to enjoy the fruits of our labor, because we are tired of getting cheated every step of the way by the ridiculously filthy rich people who control the international corporations.

The cheap easily accessible oil is running out, and the international corporations know their days are numbered. Food costs are exploding because oil costs are exploding. Agricultural production is heavily dependent upon cheap oil made products, not only for running farm equipment and transporting food all over the globe, but for fertilizers that modern crops are heavily dependent upon. These issues have been talked about for decades now, and as predicted, as the end of easy to tap high quality crude oil dawns on modern industry, numerous sever crisis's are going to occur, and the world food shortage will be the worse and has already started. This is just the beginning.

In light of all that we knew about these coming times, the leaders of our industry have foolishly sabotaged all possible options to deal with these looming crisis's by creating an investment system in the U.S., the world's largest economy by far which the rest of the world is dependent upon, which has ran up the greatest levels of debt in world history. Talk about screwing the pooch.

top topics

join