It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's end the yellow journalism posts right now

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The posts function just recently came back into operation. This thread abused that function. If the posts function is ever permanently removed, it will be because of abuse of it.

Perhaps you're thinking of the "Threads" button; this has nothing to do with the posts button. The threads button was never removed from peoples' profiles, and I've never denied that this thread was "inspired" by the threads of another member.

So instead of playing grammar police on the victim, we should be denouncing this thread.

I've already done such, and right from my very first post no less; however, FF has been here long enough to know how to use the "ALERT" button if she felt that she was being targeted (and I wouldn't have faulted her for doing such). What she chose to do was unnecessary, and only served to add fuel to the fire.

[edit on 4/25/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Don't buy into that. They just don't want to answer the questions, so they are doing to me what they do to Obama and defaming me.

I am not stalking anyone. I never sent her one private u2u. I don't care to. Look through the forums, she is not the only one spamming Obama smear campaigns.

I have just had previous discussions with her about it, so I knew I could get the data there. I even admitted it in the first post so that this could be avoided that I got the data there, but I didn't use her name so that she wouldn't be singled out. She chose to do that! Not me.

So instead of discussing McCain, or how useless yellow journalism is, they attack me and say they won't post here anymore. Fine. Whatever.

It just proves my point. Yellow journalism is useless. People get all upset over it, and it really holds no weight. For every Obama smear, I can find a McCain one. We can go tit for tat. That was the point of this thread, not any specific member in general.

If I wanted it to be about her, trust me, I would have made it that way.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

5) In 1995, Sen. McCain Had A “Scuffle” With 92-Year-Old Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-SC

This is too funny…..Lets start a thread called *My old senator can beat up your old senator*

In the early days of our Republic, such disputes would have been settled by a dual.
With real guns. Now that would make for some interesting journalism.

At least back then the political journalists had some real meat to the stories they tried to
Spin.

Today, they are comparatively relegated to mediocrity due to a perceived notion of political correctness. Back then, Mudslinging was literal.

I am still somewhat confused about the topic of this thread. Is it something to do with
Free speech here at ATS?

edit for : tupid pelling

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Good points, by the way.

To explain, the point of the thread was to show that mudslinging is useless. No matter what candidate you advocate, there will be these pseudo-skeletons.

There might be an occasional bit of truth or worth in those topics, but it's rare. I was trying to promote discussion of policies by comparing the yellow journalism on each side.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Greetings all,

This is interesting stuff. I remember Pastor John Hagee from living down south in the "Bible Belt," he was always on TV and I would occaisionally watch him for comedic value. I was unaware of his derogatory comments regarding the Jewish people, that on the one hand doesn't surprise me having grown up in a fundamentalist evangelical environment, but what's curious is Hagee has been pretending to be a friend of Israel/the Jewish people the last couple of years. He fancies himself a "Zionist" which I find curious and laughable. I don't want to make broad generalizations here, but I have noticed that a lot of evangelical types and on the other end of the spectrum a lot of catholics have some really nasty and derogatory things to say about the jews. When challenged they have circular logic they tend to apply to justify their opinions. For instance, the first half of the Greek Bible includes (albeit not the most accurate of translations according to a lot of scholarly sources) Jewish scripture, and wasn't the man called Christ a "jew?" They always bring up the notion that now that the J-man is on the scene, he negates all of the "old testament" and the jews are evil because they stuck to their own traditions faithfully (I'm talking about the observant jews, not the Hollywood jews) and didn't blindly follow some guy with a messiah-complex. If he nullified the laws of the "Old Testament" then why bother to include it in your Bible? I could go on and on, as a former student of comparative religion, but it's largely pointless to argue matters of faith, as they are just that.

I love it when people pretend to be your friend and behind your back they stick the knife in and twist it, that's real "christian."
And for the record I'm not jewish. Religion is a matter of personal choice and I find value in all perspectives, but I *really* dislike how a lot of christians (and I mean a lot, not all) treat religiously observant jews, I think it's uncalled for to shove your religious opinions down people's throats and threaten them with eternal damnation just because they have a different opinion or set of observances than you. Alright, I'm stepping off of my soapbox.

Peace,
Hex23

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one of the things that was my original reason for posting. I think they are all bums, I don't like Hillary, Obama, or McCain. It's the same false-dichotomy, broken system that has been going on in this country for entirely too long. I guess I'm not going to vote.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by hexagram23]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Yellow journalism is useless. People get all upset over it, and it really holds no weight. For every Obama smear, I can find a McCain one. We can go tit for tat. That was the point of this thread

OK…got it now…Thanks…..On all of the above, I agree

I guess I’m just disappointed on the real lack of quality smear today. Either way.
In the era I previously referred , most mudslinging was effectively done by cartoons and caricatures.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's such a shame that politics is no longer about policies.

These days it's about who can smear their opponent more effectively.

All part of the game, I know - but people get sidetracked by the personal attacks and forget about what politicians want to do once in office.

And we're as much to blame for buying into it, instead of insisting that they focus on the issues that matter to us.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
ill put a different spin on this thread and say im just happy to see two people who are actually getting right into this election hype, they must be very eager to vote in the US elections (since its voluntary to vote in USA)

makes a nice change from the dudes who sit on the couch and drink beers while watching grid iron because they cant be arsed voting, but then will bitch and moan for the next few years about the president AFTER hes elected and its too late.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think Obama's kid-glove treatment is one of the reasons some journalists, some talk show hosts, and some posters here have to reach into the depths of this candidates history.

Even comedy shows are playing the game. And those jokes aren't funny unless there is a kernel of truth to them. Did any of you see the SNL skit, where at the debates, the moderators kept asking Obama if he needed a glass of water, or a pillow? That obviously didn't happen in reality, but it was a caricature of reality.
He's mostly getting a free ride, with free press.

It's up to others, who see him as a threat to our nation to play out stories that paint him in a negative iight..That's just politics.

After the last Dem debate there was griping that the questions were unfair, or too hard. Well I have news for Hillary, and Obama..they got "Ron Paul'd".
Paul supporters griped about the very same thing, and were labled crybabies.
The term crybaby fits here too. God forbid we talk about issues.

Speaking of issues, this presidential campaign is no different than any other.
The candidates speak in vagueries. They do it on purpose, so there is no accountability later. It's up to the voters, and now the bloggers, discussion groups to see through what little information we get. To analyze, to ponder, to guess.

This stuff you call Yellow journalism, is par for the course. And is certainly milder than the political journaism of the past.

So It's Obama's turn to get "Ron Paul'd".
YOu should be happy, that means he's the frontrunner for the moment.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

I like your spin, and I agree that's even worse. Nothing can beat the people who whine about politics, but don't even bother participating or voting.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Thanks for the great summary. The attack threads are kind of the same no matter what board you go to. Too bad McCain doesn't rhyme with another one of the criminals on our Wanted: dead or alive list.

Mm.. actually there was one thread a while back that said McCain meant "son of Cain!"

When the Welsh translation was more along the lines of "from clear spring" something like that.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

As far as I know (and I could easily be wrong) "Mc" before a name can mean "of" and is usually taken to mean "son of" in some celtic traditions regarding names.

So technically they could be right

Or I could be completely wrong and haven't remembered it properly - it's been a while, and my brain is a bit fried at the moment.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by jsobecky

You just have a previous axe to grind with me. That's fine.

Do not start with the personal attacks on me, sir. You are not important to me in the slightest; do not presume to be more than you are.

I have no axe to grind with you. I think you are a very poor debater that resorts to personal attacks, as you have done several times with FlyersFan. You seem to crave attention, and that it the way you get it.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
FYI, tonight on Public Television, the Bill Moyers show starts with an interview with Rev. Wright, who is Barack Obama's pastor. Promo link is:

www.pbs.org...

That interview may improve the subsequent quality of debates about Obama.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Funny, I thought you two were the ones who attacked me. I never mentioned names. All I am doing is defending myself against your attacks of me "stalking" her (talk about flattering one's self).

This topic is not about her, you, or me, it's about yellow journalism.

Don't like it? Leave.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Originally posted by redmage

The posts function just recently came back into operation. This thread abused that function. If the posts function is ever permanently removed, it will be because of abuse of it.

Perhaps you're thinking of the "Threads" button; this has nothing to do with the posts button. The threads button was never removed from peoples' profiles,

No, I meant the "posts" button, whose function was removed for a period of time because of the bandwidth strain it caused on the servers from overuse.

So instead of playing grammar police on the victim, we should be denouncing this thread.

Originally posted by redmage

I've already done such, and right from my very first post no less; however, FF has been here long enough to know how to use the "ALERT" button if she felt that she was being targeted (and I wouldn't have faulted her for doing such). What she chose to do was unnecessary, and only served to add fuel to the fire.

Do you know that she didn't submit an alert? And that it wasn't done after she had tried other methods of expressing her displeasure?

What she chose to do was totally within her rights. It is very frustrating to be a target of someone's personal vendetta against you. I've seen it happen here many times. Next thing will be a gang attack on FlyersFan, with the antagonists starring and flagging each other in a mad orgy of childish sniping.

That kind of behavior will be the downfall of ATS, and should not be encouraged. FlyersFan has authored several posts that brought attention to Obama's unsavory side. Sublime620 seems to be an Obama groupie. Instead of debating the issues, he chooses to attack FlyersFan. Undefensible.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Short for "of" yes, or "son of" or "from" in the sense of offspring, but the bottom line was Mc was Gaelic, as was Cain, specifically Welsh, and meant "Of Clear Spring" .. not "Son of Cain" as they where putting it "son of man" or "son of the first guy to commit murder in the Bible!!"

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

No, I meant the "posts" button, whose function was removed for a period of time because of the bandwidth strain it caused on the servers from overuse.

I used the thread button, not the posts button.

Do you know that she didn't submit an alert? And that it wasn't done after she had tried other methods of expressing her displeasure?

Who cares if she did? A mod has already posted on this thread and obviously didn't notice any personal attacks on any board members in my OP.

What she chose to do was totally within her rights. It is very frustrating to be a target of someone's personal vendetta against you. I've seen it happen here many times. Next thing will be a gang attack on FlyersFan, with the antagonists starring and flagging each other in a mad orgy of childish sniping.

Please find a personal attack in my OP.

FlyersFan has authored several posts that brought attention to Obama's unsavory side.

Several? That implies a bit more than a few. More than several. Probably about 15 within a month (an estimate - I don't exactly keep count).

But it's not important. This thread is not geared at only her. It's geared at anyone who posts any yellow journalism, in a lame attempt to sway popular vote.

Sublime620 seems to be an Obama groupie. Instead of debating the issues, he chooses to attack FlyersFan. Undefensible.

Excuse me? I am the only who WANTS to debate the issues. This is my second thread trying to get people off of non-issues (is Obama black enough? Can a woman run the white house? and Is McCain too old?), and trying to get people to talk politics. Real issues.

Falling into the media trap

The above thread was strictly for talking policy, i.e. real politics. You didn't show up. She didn't show up. Almost no one showed up.

Don't say I don't want to talk issues. That's all I want to talk. You two are the ones who attack other members. Hell, you accused me of committing a criminal action on this thread.

Honestly, want to talk policy? Fine with me. That's why I posted this thread.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I don't see that it would matter. The extreme religious right doesn't like McCain anyway, but I'm sure they'd vote for him over any liberal.

And there's not really anyone else who would care whether his last name ties into some Bible story other than the extreme Christian right.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It wouldn't matter...

That is the point, someone who didn't like McCain posted some stupid crap about him that I pointed out was completely false, let alone illogical..

Just trying to support the original post(s) that yellow journalism is heightened emotional based BS with an agenda.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join