It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I can tell you from growing up, from factual research and deep leaks from the actual goings on inside the organization, they are VERY much a cult, and that is NOT my opinion either. What one person sees may be but a glass darkly as the person above who saw them as harmless. Things are not always what they seem. I was in a worldwide cult that is so ancient, they are not even allowed to teach above the surface, and all martial arts come from them. I am glad I am away from that now in general, but you have to always know you are never totally out of their site no matter where you go or what you do after that. There is so much kept from the public eye, it does not surprise me how brainwashed people are even in a good Christian church to know the darkness from secret and hidden members of these groups. They can pretty much get away with anything because they answer to no one. That is sad, but true and history repeats itself over and over again. This is how satanism, illuminati, freemasonry, rosecrucianism, darwinism, and other disinformative, deceptive and multi-agenda cults work. Make no mistake, the truth is often stranger than fiction. That is no joke either.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Those people are up to something. They go around to our homes and try to get themselves inside. By this point in time, they have to realise they are genneraly laughed at, and are prity much rejected whenever they try there work. So, what can they be trying by continuing?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The thing is, they have always been talking about the end date for humanity.

Just look at this:
www.exposingchristianity.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar

One of my friends went to that church and she had children by her husband and by another man, since her husband couldnt make children any more the church made another one of the men live with them to produce more children. To me that is a cult.

Hilda

WHAT? who has the authority to make her have sex with another man to have a kid?

that is just false, and ridiculous

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
"One of my friends went to that church and she had children by her husband and by another man, since her husband couldnt make children any more the church made another one of the men live with them to produce more children. To me that is a cult."

1 of the stupidest things i have ever heard. I used to be a JW....and that made me laugh. nothing like spreading ignorance.

A cult? i wouldnt say so. but if you actually sit down and think about it...what is a cult? a religion that hasnt been picked up by the mainstream. gg nub.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
"
I can tell you from growing up, from factual research and deep leaks from the actual goings on inside the organization, they are VERY much a cult, and that is NOT my opinion either. What one person sees may be but a glass darkly as the person above who saw them as harmless. Things are not always what they seem. I was in a worldwide cult that is so ancient, they are not even allowed to teach above the surface, and all martial arts come from them. I am glad I am away from that now in general, but you have to always know you are never totally out of their site no matter where you go or what you do after that. There is so much kept from the public eye, it does not surprise me how brainwashed people are even in a good Christian church to know the darkness from secret and hidden members of these groups. They can pretty much get away with anything because they answer to no one. That is sad, but true and history repeats itself over and over again. This is how satanism, illuminati, freemasonry, rosecrucianism, darwinism, and other disinformative, deceptive and multi-agenda cults work. Make no mistake, the truth is often stranger than fiction. That is no joke either."

2nd stupidest thing ive ever read.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Okay, I'm back. Lets see, new ideas and links!

blindtheory,
You can't believe everything you hear and read can you? Thanks for the link though. Its your point of view, and I'm not out to change it, though some people are.

Stormdancer777,
Yeah, the false predictions bother me as well, thanks for the Blood Transfusion links, really helpful for some people.

JediK,
Cool you got any links for more information? I'm interested in this subject because of the piling evidence.

Sparky63,
Exactly, all the false accusations are ridiculous, plus almost all religions are ridiculed, thanks for the links and content from the Bible!

onesockon,
Thank you for you information about your father. I'm sure hes a good guy, does he talk to you about religion, beliefs? Anyway, I know what you mean.

an0maly33,
Thank you for you ideas, I'm sorry for your lost. they haven't mentioned not going to college that I'm aware of. They just don't encourage it.

MrPenny,
It might be lame to you, but obviously some people care about this issue. I for one wanted to find out what some ATS members thought about them.

BritishGent,
Thank you for your experiences, but that doesn't really mean there a cult does it?

umbr45,
Exactly there not bad people, but sometimes can get very annoying. I don't see anything wrong with knocking on doors anyway.

erniemink1,
From my point of view, that is an opinion, from your own experiences. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Graber,
They keep trying because they wish to save you from eternal death. That is what they believe at least. I'm sure it can get annoying.

Trasheart,
Thanks for the link, really helpful, but don't believe everything you read. Anyway thanks for the link, I'm going to read it later.

30 Seconds,
Heh, thanks for the replies on those two posts. The first one is unbelievable, second one is a point of view.

Thanks for all your ideas, and points of view. This is pretty much down the middle, 50% hating them, or disliking them. Then the other 50% having nothing against them. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
My father was raised in a jw household. I can tell you that what he experienced growing up in that home, they are very cult like. I know that now the church has made some changes so as to not appear as "cultish" and have forgone the "predicting" the coming rapture.

My grandmother did not celebrate her childrens birthdays. They could not join the school band because of the playing of christmas songs. My father was not encouraged to be friends with anyone outside the "church".

when my father was drafted for Vietnam, his mother and church elders encouraged all draftees to run for the northern border. My father refused but went in as a conciencious objector. His mother refused to write him when he was in vietnam because he went against the church. He was then disfellowshipped (which is the best thing that could have happend for him imo) for marrying outside the church.

My sister was friend withe a couple of sisters who were in the church and their mother did not hide the fact that she was unhappy with her daughters hanging out with my sister. And one of the girls married outside the church and was also disfellowshipped.

Growing up my family had spotty relations with my grandmother and aunts because of the "religion". I am 37 now and have had no contact with that side of the family in 27 years. Really is sad it has to be this way.But the way i see it is that if a religion needs to send its brainwashed automotons door to door to peddle their religion and find recruits and fill the ranks (which i don"t understand bringing more into the fold if there is only room for 144,000 to sit at the throne of god)then what kind of religion is that.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The most endearing thing about Jehovah's Witnesses is that they are non-violent, and will go to prison (and have, and do) rather than go to war. They were also imprisoned and exterminated in concentration camps by the Nazis, along with other minorities, intellectuals, people of color and others, and all people who believed in democracy and respected their fellow (wo)man.

Well, over my lifetime having practiced with jews, mormons, hindus, moslems (islam), sufi's, catholics, re-born christians, christians, mormons, jehovahs witnesses, zen buddhists, buddhists, pagans, indigenous (native) peoples, and also studied the pre-Judaic/Christian religions --

I can generally state that, either
... a person is a good person or a bad person
... a person helps people, or a person hurts people
... a person is compassionate or is not.
... a person is non-violent, or not
... a person is controlling, or not

All the religions equally know nothing about Mr. & Mrs. God, and the best we can do is observe how a mother nurtures her baby -- which is what the pre-Judaic/Christain/Moslem matriarchal religions were based on.

The patriarchal Judaic/Christain/Moslem religions are all a bit controlling -- the men want to keep the women down, so to speak, and generally do.

Spring brings Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Purim (Jewish), spiritual holidays, praying and celebration. Judaism constitutes the foundations of Christianity and Islam. The Jewish prophet Abraham (the first Jew) had two sons, Issac and Ishmael. The House of David and eventually Christ sprang from Issac’s genetics. From Ishmael sprang Muslims practising Islam, who revere Old Testament prophets and Christ and charge no interest on loans. Jews, Christians and Muslims honor compassion, (the Buddhist contribution to Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions). America’s founding documents mandate freedom of religion, civil liberty and a publicly owned central bank that charges no interest on credit, loans or mortgages and brings jobs, peace and personal wealth that guarantee financial freedom and education. In 1913, Congress mistakenly authorized a privately owned central banking system called the Fed to own, print, sell, rent and loan us our own money at interest …we now owe these private owners nine trillion dollars and our spiritual, civil and financial liberty is threatened – just as our founding fathers predicted would happen if we did not have a publicly owned central bank. We pay 300 billion dollars interest yearly on the national debt to private shareholders with no national allegiance or respect for spiritual freedom, civil liberty or providing employment – because they co-direct, and are co-directed by, the owners of other world central banks financing war at great profit in the name of high priced gas, groceries and national debt. The Judaic-Christian-Muslim ethic opposes financial slavery (debt) caused by usury (unfair profits) implying the privately owned Fed become a publicly owned central bank as our founding fathers specified that nurtures peace, financial liberty and spiritual prosperity.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ok its not called Church it's Kingdom Hall....

I think Jehovah's Witness are pretty normal people....
Anti Gangs, Anti-Evil, etc.

Though they are not the smartest people...

They are hard working...genuine people....

They do tend to make mistakes... This is most likely because someone is richer then the other etc.

They are extremely good at making you feel like your just like any of them. I heard the masons are the same way. Though when it comes down to it they are just controlling the situation. They show favortism to people they really can play head games with you. They are a cult in that sense of thinking but they allow to come and go...

I was a Jehovahs Witness most of my life. Just like any place I've seen on earth, there has always been extreme prejudice and unjust convictions.
I find it extremely sad for this planet because if I was Silver Surfer I would not want to save it. I say let Galactus devour the damn thing and move on... Good Bye.

Ok so....now this forum makes me reflect on my life and Im like # Ive been through some dramatic #...

I tell you I feel like I'm in the middle of a bunch of bull # sometimes...
It really ticks me off because smart people are smart and dumb people are dumb no matter how rich or whatever...

Why don't we start looking for the smart people and fund them with at least enough cash to do some smart #!

I mean you #s would rather give Britney Spears a hundred million...

I mean who the # cares about them Hollywood chuckle faces.

What are you people doing! GASOLINE FUEL VEHICLES! COME ON!

I don't know if people on this planet are trying to deliberately piss off God
and test his judgement or they really cant get a clear picture.

Thanks very much!

BTW, Most of your comments sucked I could tell you really don't know # about Jehovah's Witnesses.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Definition of a Cult: 1. a prticular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies. 2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, exp. as manifested by a body of admirers. 3. the object of such devotion. 4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. 5. a group having a scared ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols. 6. a religion or sect considred to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventiona society under the dirction of a charismatic leader. 7. the members of such a religion or sect. 8. any sytem for treating human sickness that originated by a person ususally claiming to have sole insight ino the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific. (Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language)

So as can be seen, I would say that for example every religion falls under the catagory of a Cult. I have found it interesting that due to what we are taught and told by those who would like us to think of them as authority like other religions, media, and such that great liberties are used in defining others.

I do not support JW's and like many comments read, they tend to interfere at the most unappropreiate times. I once asked one of them, why they think only 144,000 would be taken up and what gave them the right to think that they were going to be one of them, when it would be clear that thier own numbers far surpass the 144,000. I got no reply only a follow up visit by more of them, which at the time I was in no mood to have any further discussion.

I have know of kids that were forced just because their mother and step father was JW, to adhere to their ways. What was described to me was no less than brain washing, the kind that most other religions are also involved with as well. And just like all other religious organizations they ahve their own bad seeds too. I believe that David Ickes website has plenty of evidence to that sort of stuff, if memory serves.

People are people and they each have the right to believe in what they desire. And having free will they can also choose when they have finished with any particular religious group and leave, despite what is done to them in the name of God. So are they good or evil, that is all based on what you each desire to believe.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
These room of the side, I could hear children getting spanked for getting a scripture wrong.

Uh-huh. I haven't been involved in decades but those rooms are for parents to take their children so that they can still listen to the service while the kids don't disrupt it. You know how hard it is for kids to sit still for a couple of hours? It's for the benefit of all. "Spank their kids for getting a scripture wrong"? Pfft. Propagandize much?

Yes, well the Catholic Church I went to had a glass surround and the outer area was there so you could take your kids out if they were being disruptive. I spent most of my time in that area
Especially when my four yr old Son yells out in a loud frustrated voice "Jesus is DEAD" (so what are you all doing??)

You could have heard a pin drop as I left to go to the outer area.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
you said;
"I did a quick search and found some interesting things. But I didn't find my answers"

What are your questions?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thought I'd put in my two cents worth. When I was young, my parents joined the Jehovah's Witnesses cult (and yes, I do call it a cult). A few years later, we were glad to get out of there.

Many years later, my mother, who said she wouldn't be caught dead near their church... oops, I mean Kingdom Hall... again, joined the cult again. My siblings and I were rather baffled by this. It seems that a friend of hers was a member of the JW cult, and she talked my mother into joining. (Hmm, I was going to put 'brainwashed' instead of 'talked').

Not too many JW's have come to my door, but when they do, I just tell them politely, 'No, thank you. And don't bother leaving your literature here because it will just get thrown out.'

As far as I'm concerned, they are a cult.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
When I first went to University I was hounded a few times from JW's and various other sects...I always felt they kind of preyed on vulnerable young (just out of the house) college students. I told the JW's I was not interested in joining and told them upfront it would be 99% no join, but that I would study with them and I offered to buy my own books even. They were very friendly, I used to serve them coffee and cookies. I've known several JW girls who have apparently fallen away from the faith and were basically black listed until they got their s*%! together. When that finally happened, they would no longer talk to "us heathens". I always felt that was phony and rude as hell, but whatever, you expect this behavior with cults like that.

Later I would move to a very Liberal neighborhood that was very diverse both in terms of incomes and lifestyles. I love the neighborhood, and for whatever reason I have never been visited by a missionary either Mormon or JW here.

At a previous residence, the Mormons started showing up. I got a real kick out of one visit on a particular day...I heard the door bell and glanced out noticed the Mormons (still wet behind the ears of course) and so I quickly lit a cigarette, and cracked open a bottle of beer and answered the door. When they came in I offered to take them out dancing downtown at the clubs later that night...they both declined and never came back! :-)

[edit on 28-5-2008 by skyshow]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
I was raised a Witness and know first hand they are not a cult. Just with everyother belief system rumors abound. Witnesses are law abidding, respectful people that keep to themselves. I was involved in the building of a kingdom hall outside of Cleveland. It went up in about 48 hours and everyone chipped in with none of the usual difficulties that should occur with so many people working so hard. They are a good bunch of people... I just do not agree with their beliefs.

I was raised by 2 Witness parents who are still Witnesses. I am an Athiest now (not because I disliked their religion) but it's because what I believe in. But for the 15 years of my life that I was a child, I went to their kingdom hall (what other religions call a church).

If anyone wants an unbiased look at what the religion is really like, ask me. I'm open to questions.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by AgentStovkowski]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar
There strange I will give you that much. I attended there church a few times, then I went to a bible study at one of the members homes. I had a bad feeling all the time I was there. I came home and saw something so evil that I never went back to that church again. A cult? Yeah I would say a cult. When you sit in there home and know something may attack you, something evil and your skin gets cold, and yet you can feel fear thru your whole body like needles. Yep I would call it a cult.

One of my friends went to that church and she had children by her husband and by another man, since her husband couldnt make children any more the church made another one of the men live with them to produce more children. To me that is a cult.

Hilda

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I've been to many different churches over the years, my most recent ex-gf was catholic (italian) and she made me to go a catholic church with her once.

To be honest, that was WAY more cult-like than anything I experienced while I was being raised by my JW parents. In the catholic church, everyone started kneeling on this metal bar and chanting these words over and over in a monotone voice.

While that was happening, it was like I was in a movie or on another planet. It was the most surreal and cult like thing I have ever experienced. I just wanted to run out of there as fast as I could but I didn't want to make a scene and piss my girlfriend off, so I just copied what everyone was doing, knelt on the metal bar, and started chanting with them.

Not to mention the clothing the priests and stuff were wearing. They looked like the Ku Klux Klan. At least in the JW religion, men dress is business suits and the women dress in standard dresses.

And then you have the bizarre rituals that people were doing in that catholic church, like when they light those candles and start doing all that other weird # to the status of jesus on the cross which is hanging on the wall.

Then you have the altar boys and girls which come up to the stage and start doing weird #, I don't even know what they were doing.

My point is, if you are going to call JW a cult, you should really examine some other mainstream religions first.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by AgentStovkowski]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I also went to a temple once, because my grandmother's neice was getting married, to a jew. So they had a jewish wedding.

That was a very bizarre ritualistic ceremony. While not as bizarre as the catholic church I went to, it was still pretty weird and cult like. Like when they take all the glassware, and break it into shards of glass.

And that was a public wedding that anyone could attend. I shudder to think what they do in closed doors that only jews can see during normal service hours.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by blindtheory

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. Jehovah's witnesses are a cult.

The thing is the actual regular members, like your father Im sure, are quite nice.

But the people in control are twisted!

Part of what defines a cult is that they isolate their members (Jehovah's Witnesses are taught they are no part of the "world").

They practice information control: JW's are counseled to only read what their Headquarters prints for them, they are advised to stay off of the internet, and they are told not to attend college.

I think you just described just about every religion in the world. If JW are a cult, so are other religions.

But you are only 23 and have been a JW for 18 years, so you haven't really had the chance to experience other religions outside of JW, to see that they are infinitely more twisted and cult like.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join