It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elementary Class Adopts Soldier!! (How Wrong is This!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Class adopts soldier
Students at an all girls school in St. Louis, Missouri, adopt First Lt. Priya Rednam. KSDK's Sharon Stevens reports

They have all these youing children asking this soldier they "adopted" in their classroom about the war and military life. How do you think the soldier will respond? Imagine if the soldier told the Truth........

CNN Breaking News

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by imeddieone4202003

I see nothing wrong in adopting a soldier. What is wrong with instilling patriotism in our young people?

Just because you may not be patriotic doesn't mean it is a bad thing to be.

War is hell. It's dirty, deadly and dreadful. Let the soldier tell the truth. Isn't is about time someone tells it like it is?

What about the children whose moms or dads are serving in the military? Would it not give them a better understanding of what their parent is going through if they could have their questions answered?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When I was in middle school, we did the same thing during Gulf War 1. I see nothing wrong with it. Soldiers need to know that people back home care about them. It is very difficult being stationed over seas. Much more so in a war zone. They are not going to be adopting a Rambo type that will tell them horror stories. It will all be stories about how they are helping people...etc.

Let's just hope the soldier doesn't die.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
what " truth " do you think is approriate to tell children

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Let me guess

Your one of the people that protests and spits and throws stuff at soldiers that return from war, but have no idea what these guys go through right?

Its not their fault, most soldiers I have spoken to would rather be home than at war, and its good to see that some people actually give a damn about them. They just follow orders from the cowards that run the government. Kudos to the school for sponsoring a soldier

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
LMAO

You really can find something wrong with this? Wow. The hatred for men and woman who choose to serve in the military for whatever reason, is really getting ridiculous.

I bet those children send them things like snacks and other "gifts" while they are deployed as a moral booster - HOW DARE THEM!!!! Those darn children should know better!

I bet it would make you
to find out that many people "adopt" military families at Christmas time too....especially when they have husbands who are deployed for months on end....and are left with no family and friends around.

Also....have YOU been to AFganistan, Iraq or any other deployed location? If you havent.....you dont know what the truth is. Only those who have been there have. And the reports I get back from those I know is not what the slanted media wants you to think.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by imeddieone4202003
Imagine if the soldier told the Truth........

What an excellent point to make, however unlikely it is.

If he told the truth in that kind of environment, i do believe he could get away with it, as opposed to telling the MSM about his experiences, which would get edited instantly

It's down to the soldier in question whether or not he intends to use little kids as a means of getting the story out, at the end of the day.

Hopefully he'll give the moral issue a bypass and go for some personal ethics.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I could have quoted nearly every response... Alot of military and family here! That's a GOOD thing.

The soldier they adopted is a 1st Lt. He'll be fine.

If they had "adopted" a grunt, then they might have worries. I mean, groundpounders aren't gerbils- right?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Btw; you seem a bit confused - there's nothing wrong with this whatsoever, and you did infact contradict yourself by making allusions to what i commented on.

you weirdo.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

We must have been typing at the same time.

You're the weirdo, Gonzo.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'll have you know i was referring to the OP - so don't you stick your thumb at me, sir.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I don't see anything wrong with it. Sorry. I think it is a good idea as a matter of fact. We can't hide from war. It is inevitable. Children need to know about real life and caring beyond thier family circle and into the realm of the world as a whole. We start teaching them about the world they live in when they are in Kindergarten.

When I was a child, born in the 60's, we were taught things like how to live in a fallout shelter without our parents, because there would be a good chance your parents might not be there. How and when to come out of the shelter, how to find food and water that would be safe, basically how to survive a nuclear attack. I was in first grade. It did not traumatize me or any of my friends. Then the Vietnam war started and school taught and updated us on the progress, then lack of success with this war, they helped us understand what was going on. I for one am very glad that I wasn't coddled and kept from what was going on. I had a true appreciation for what the soldiers had attempted to do, why so many died and were missing, and why it needed to stop.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

That you weren't coddled only goes to show how painful it is for those who are.

Really, the whole Nature vs Nurture thing is just a load of codswallop developed to emotionally blackmail us into withholding information from children.

Oh wait, that would be me going off on a tangent.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yup, its fine. In fact, I wish more schools would do this.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by green k

I wish the whole nation would do this, but that ain't gonna happen.

Our children are the most precious gift to ever have and for them to adopt a soldier is the best gift you could give a soldier.

new topics

top topics

join