It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

special forces olympics ??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have heard this mentioned several times but have never seen any links nor can I get a google hit on it. Does anyone have some solid info?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I do know this does exist between US and Brisitsh SF. They have various exercises in endurance, physical stamina, navigation, demolision, small arms accuracy, tactical planning, mission task completion. This takes place with serveral elite units from both countires which compete over a couple weeks to see who will be the champ in each area and over with most points.. Its real but thats all I know. It would be great to get the rest ofthe world SF into the competiton (Russia, Israel, France, Germany, Etc..)

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by dreamrebel]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I know the Spetsnaz are involved in Special Forces Olympics as well, but there is intense competition between British and American SF, British 99 out of 100 times will come on top.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
I know the Spetsnaz are involved in Special Forces Olympics as well, but there is intense competition between British and American SF, British 99 out of 100 times will come on top.

How would you know? Are you in the military? If these things did happen, they would occur on a military installation and the access to it would be restricted.

Unless you have actually seen this happen, then you are talking out of your arse.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was in the infantry for 7 years, and I've never heard of the 'Special Forces Olympics'. Personally, I don't think our SF would go for it because it sounds retarded (those guys are all about appearances anyway, you know, they're the 'cool kids'). The closest thing I can think of is the best Ranger competition held yearly at Bragg.

I do know that a lot of those guys are given time off to compete in decathalons, triathalons, ironman competitions, and that new extreme environment competition whatever it's called.

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Can you PROVE any of this ??? Any links or books ?
Bexcrementecause I'm starting to smell some male bovine excrement!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've read a lot of your posts, and it seems to me all you have to say is something about the SAS and how good they are. And I agree. I had the privelege of doing a couple of days of MOUT training with them and they're damn good, but I'm not about to get on my knees forthwith and commence felatio. I think you might be obsessed or something. Relax, brother.

DC

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You wish bro
While they are good, damn good even, the 99 out of 100 is bit over the top. On any given day either could best the other.

As for the Olympics, I don't know, never heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist now. Didn't happen when I was in in the late 80's. I do know that there are other competitions. I have even seen a tank challenge which was way cool. M-1 against a British Challanger and a German Leapord II or a Tiger II and the Rusian T-82 (I think it was) Actually Russia had two tanks in it one diesel powered and the other turbine powered. It was awsome, but of course the M-1 won in most catagories

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I jsut argue pro-SAS when we come to SAS vs US SF arguments. Dont get me wrong, I think American special forces are good, just not the same league.

There is plenty of documentation (Especially in books) about the olympics. The Joker: 20 Years inside the SAS, Close Quarter Battle, First Into Action...

I am working on the Spetsnaz olympics atm...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
well the Spetsnaz thing is in here somewhere: here
but it'd take a fair while to go through it.

I also, not exclusively though, use SF Olympics to entail training operations together where they get asked to do above and beyond normal training. I have a good quote of one example where the SAS come out VERY On top in a different thread, which I will find if you ask.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I jsut argue pro-SAS when we come to SAS vs US SF arguments. Dont get me wrong, I think American special forces are good, just not the same league.

You can't compete in our league, too few people on the team.

There is plenty of documentation (Especially in books) about the olympics. The Joker: 20 Years inside the SAS, Close Quarter Battle, First Into Action...

How about posting a quote then? Or better yet tell us where we can buy these books at.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

You can't compete in our league, too few people on the team.

How about posting a quote then? Or better yet tell us where we can buy these books at.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

well the Spetsnaz thing is in here somewhere: here
but it'd take a fair while to go through it.

I also, not exclusively though, use SF Olympics to entail training operations together where they get asked to do above and beyond normal training. I have a good quote of one example where the SAS come out VERY On top in a different thread, which I will find if you ask.

15 different search engins and the only hits to specials forces olympics ARE ON THIS SIGHT !!!!! Admit you made the whole thing up to boost the SAS.

Or prove what you say. I'd also like some proof of the story that 3 SAS men with no support killed 150 enemy troops. I've trained with these guys(albeit 20 years ago)
They are not super men. Did you try out for SAS not make it and have SAS envy or did a SEAL kick your ass and you hold a grudge. ..Wait you girlfreind left you for a yank ... In hand to hand Seal Training is equal to Spetnaz(but I Love the spring loaded knives they use)

At the SAS, SEAL, and Spetnaz (Grom too maybe???) level they are all about equal (Soviet built sniper rifles SUCK but nothing is more reliable than a Kalishnakov built weapon so shortcoming in one area are made up in others)

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
15 different search engins and the only hits to specials forces olympics ARE ON THIS SIGHT !!!!! Admit you made the whole thing up to boost the SAS.

Or prove what you say. I'd also like some proof of the story that 3 SAS men with no support killed 150 enemy troops. I've trained with these guys(albeit 20 years ago)
They are not super men. Did you try out for SAS not make it and have SAS envy or did a SEAL kick your ass and you hold a grudge. ..Wait you girlfreind left you for a yank ... In hand to hand Seal Training is equal to Spetnaz(but I Love the spring loaded knives they use)

I think that he is just a big fan of something he has never been, nor will be, a part of. Too bad he doesn't spend as much time researching hard facts, as he does dreaming this stuff up.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Cool hand. Look on Amazon.com.
I've written the quotes before, no wish to re-write them when they are in the SF thread.
All I can say is that there is strong evidence FOR them, maybe I have the wrong name or something? I dont know, but they do exist, I have lots of sources that cross reference and no they arent all SAS.

I'm not old enough to try for the SAS, nor do I wish to, I am not nearly fit enough...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Can we hear from these sources?

I looked at Amazon, maybe because I am in America they do not appear to be as prevelant as you make them out to be.

If memory serves then you have to be at least 18 to try out for the SAS? I guess that puts you at what, 12?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
OK, I think you'll notice that there are a great many who are concerned that you may be somewhat disingenuous.

This is a concern to me only because the point of ATS is to DENY IGNORANCE -- not to propogate it.

I really don't think anyone should have to ask you to please provide examples to support your arguments. This discussion board was meant to be a place where we could get together to more easily discern the TRUTH.

The reason it is so difficult is because there are those who would take a topic based on truth, extrapolate and expound, distort and distract, to the point that it were impossible to know what was originally FACT.

We all like to talk. God knows I do. But speak with purpose and intent.

And if, like Nerdling, you choose to base an assumption about myself or anyone on the amount of ATS points they have, remember three things:

Assumption is the mother of all failures, there is another world besides this one, which many of us truly endeavor to experience, and contempt prior to investigation can never fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance.

Thank you for your consideration,

DeltaChoas Out

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I've written the quotes before, no wish to re-write them when they are in the SF thread.
All I can say is that there is strong evidence FOR them, maybe I have the wrong name or something? I dont know, but they do exist, I have lots of sources that cross reference and no they arent all SAS.

I'm not old enough to try for the SAS, nor do I wish to, I am not nearly fit enough...

You were reading FICTION!!!!! IAN FLEMING and the like are fiction...NOT real.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Can we hear from these sources?

I looked at Amazon, maybe because I am in America they do not appear to be as prevelant as you make them out to be.

If memory serves then you have to be at least 18 to try out for the SAS? I guess that puts you at what, 12?

After 3 years of dedicated military service. That means 19 if you enlist at 16.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollyon

You were reading FICTION!!!!! IAN FLEMING and the like are fiction...NOT real.

I've never read Ian Fleming, I have seen the films though.
However, this may interest you.
Fitzroy Maclean (1st SAS WW2) was the real life inspiration for James Bond. From the blurb of 'Daggers Drawn: Real Heros of the SAS and SBS', 'an SAS soldier who talked his way through enemy roadblocks in North Africa in full British uniform and tore a strip off the guard for neglecting to check his papers'....
Not fiction, Fact.
I dont havent read Special Forces fiction for quite a while now, and those were the SEALs Purple Heart, Medal of Honour, Silver Star, Distingushed Navy Cross (Etc) series. I prefer reading about the real thing, LRRPs in Vietnam, SEALs in Vietnam, SAS in WW1, Oman, etc.

-- Cool Hand
Sorry I didnt realize they werent for sale on Amazon.com, I thought they would be. Amazon.co.uk is one source for it, eBooks from there, though I dont know if they are available.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join