It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It was a Different World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
I loved Land of the Lost. I'm a sucker for the old shows, I love TV LAND...they don't make shows like they used too.

I will fall out of my chair if you remember "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies.....

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I didn't get to grow up in the 70's, I am a child of the late 80's or 90's however there are still so many changes from when I was a kid. I can't even believe there are kids so young walking around with cell phones! I liked to talk on the phone as a pre-teen too but I had to go inside and ask permission to use the corded phone that I had to strain and stretch so it would reach into my bedroom for a little privacy.

my daughter I am proud to say is an outside girl. I live in a small neighborhood in a small town. I will also say that there are two registered sex offenders in my neighborhood but all of us neighborhood parents make it possible for our kids to go out in play. We all keep close watch and we have teenagers that hang around the younger kids to keep eye on them. Honestly I have never even seen the two monsters come out of their homes, I think they know better!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I don't know what it was like in the 60s or 70s, but growing up in the 80s in LA sucked. You can have your childhood... let me forget mine! lol

Sure there are things that are worse now, but there are also things that are better. Everything changes.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I apologize for bringing down the thread, I just got a bit depressed about what has been lost.

I try so hard to give my boys what I had and it just doesn't end up the same. No matter how hard I try I can't stop wondering if the guy loitering in the park is a molester.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
I try so hard to give my boys what I had and it just doesn't end up the same.

I understand that, and sometimes I am a little disappointed when my kids aren't as receptive or appreciative to my values and traditions that I was raised with. They don't really care if the glass they were drinking from was my great-grandmother's or the Christmas ornament that they just hung I made in 2nd grade. I may not get the reaction I would like, but that's ok, I keep doing it, until they get older and like me will come to appreciate and value those things. And they will.

We can't make them live through our memories, they have to make their own. and we if allow them to live in fear of the world then they will not be able to do that. What we teach them is to embrace and value their childhood and all the memories that go along with it. Let them make their own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join